singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Bud Grant's legacy still looms in Minnesota

[size=18pt]Grant's legacy still looms in Minnesota[/size]

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI, AP Sports Writer
    August 12, 2006

MANKATO, Minn. (AP) -- Nearly 40 years after he coached his first game for the Minnesota Vikings, Bud Grant remains largely unchanged.

He still has that piercing steely gaze that was hardened during 17 years of coaching the "Purple People Eaters."

He still avoids the public eye nearly at all costs, preferring the anonymity of his beloved hunting and fishing trips to reliving his past glories on the gridiron.

And he still is revered in Viking land as the man who presided over the franchise's finest hours.

Grant is a consultant these days, and new coach Brad Childress is trying to instill some of Grant's old school attitude into a team that has been in turmoil seemingly since Grant left coaching 21 years ago.

"I appreciate him," Childress said. "His wisdom, and just a couple of words, are always very interesting. I always enjoy talking to him."

The conversations are almost always brief.

"Bud likes it that way," said Childress, who has an office just down the hall from Grant at the team's headquarters and appreciates the Hall of Famer's humility and low-key demeanor.

"I've met him I don't know how many times, seen him how many times," Childress said. "He's not there often. I say, 'Hey Bud, how are you doing?' I extend my hand and he says, 'This is the last time I'm shaking your hand in this building -- I'm not going to shake your hand every time I see you.' He has a very dry sense of humor."

When asked about his impressions of Childress, who is in his first season as a head coach at any level, Grant tenses up. He is the very antithesis of the modern ex-coach, who often winds up as an analyst on television firing pot shots at former colleagues.

Grant refuses to share his opinions publicly, always shying away from the limelight that so many ego-driven coaches crave.

"Coaches are confident in themselves and what they're doing," Grant huffs. "They don't need my help."

He describes his role with the team succinctly.

"I'm a consultant," he said Saturday, on the 39th anniversary of his first game as Vikings coach, a 34-0 preseason victory over Philadelphia. "You don't consult unless you're consulted with."

The only reason he was on the field on Saturday was to make a public appearance to help the Vikings' effort to get a new stadium built.

"I'm a better coach than a PR guy," he said.

His place in the team media guide is almost comically understated. While coaches, executives, scouts and staff members have full biographies published with their pictures and personal details, Grant's mug shot is lumped in with other low-profile team employees -- the winningest coach in franchise history tucked away with the marketing staff, secretaries and the team chef.

Grant's 168 wins are 67 more than the next best mark -- Dennis Green. During a remarkable eight-year stretch from 1969-76, Grant's Vikings went 87-24-1 (78 percent) with four Super Bowl appearances, though they lost them all.

Those teams were known for a ferocious defense -- headlined by Hall of Famers Alan Page and Carl Eller on that famed "Purple People Eater" defensive line -- and a single-minded focus that was Grant's calling card.

The team seemed to lose that discipline when Grant retired for good after the 1985 season. Suddenly Vikings were in the news for driving drunk, domestic abuse and drug use.

It all came to a head last year, when former coach Mike Tice was fined for scalping his Super Bowl tickets, Onterrio "the Whizzinator" Smith was suspended for violating the league's substance abuse policy and four Vikings were charged in a lurid boat party scandal.

Owner Zygi Wilf hired Childress to right the ship. The new coach has come in and restored order to a team that desperately needed it.

Where Tice was a players' coach, Childress is definitely a graduate of Grant's old school.

"It's kind of like what your dad is," tight end Jim Kleinsasser said. "Do it right, or suffer the consequences. That's the way it is. Guys are going to take it upon themselves to get the job done for him."

Updated on Saturday, Aug 12, 2006 7:13 pm EDT

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Bud Grant's legacy still looms in Minnesota

[size=18pt]Coach Grant Visits Camp[/size]

August 12, 2006

Legendary Vikings Head Coach Bud Grant was at training camp today to take part in Minnesota Momentum Day. Grant is the co-chair of Minnesota Momentum, which is a grassroots coalition of Vikings fans and Minnesotans who support a timely resolution to the stadium issue. The coalition reaches out to Minnesota citizens and asks them to show their support for the project by joining as members.

"It's nice to be here in Mankato watching practice with all these Minnesota Momentum members," Grant said. "These folks have done a nice job helping the Vikings stadium drive and this was a nice way to give something back to them."

Grant had a ten-minute private conversation with Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress.

"I appreciate him and his wisdom," coach Childress said, "and just a couple words are always very interesting. I always enjoy talking to him."

Coach Childress also shared a story about his relationship with Grant.

"I'll give you a little story about walking down the hallway (at Winter Park) - I've met him I don't know how many times, seen him how many times. I say ‘Hey Bud, how are you doing?' and I extend my hand and he says, ‘This is the last time I'm shaking your hand in this building. Not going to shake your hand every time I see you.' He's got a great dry sense of humor."

It was 39-years ago today, August 12, 1967, that Grant coached his first game with the Vikings, a 34-0 pre-season win over Philadelphia in Tulsa with 24,500 fans in attendance. Grant would notch his first regular season victory on October 8 of that year against the Green Bay Packers by a score of 10-7.

For information on Minnesota Momentum, visit minnesotamomentum.com.

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_GrantAtCamp81206.html

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"Grant's legacy still looms in Minnesota"

it always will

i really like how he still is involved with our team, its good to have a person of that calibur still lurking around the place

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Most people that think of the Vikings automatically think of Bud Grant and the Purple People Eaters.

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "Grant's legacy still looms in Minnesota"

it always will
    [size=12pt]It always has! [/size]