Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    dan3ski is offline Coordinator

BUD GRANT AND THE WEST COAST

Fran Tarkenton used that style of play even before that as a NY Giant. Tarkenton is a math genius and alwas used high percentage passes. (thank you for the correction)But it still was not called the west coast offense. I also concede that 1 NFL championship was won by the Vikings as I thought the NFL and AFL merged after the Jets beat the Colts in 69
    can we clone Bud Grant?

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"dan3ski" wrote:
    Fran Tarkenton used that style of play even before that as a NY Giant. Tarkenton is a math genius and alwas used high percentage passes. (thank you for the correction)But it still was not called the west coast offense. I also concede that 1 NFL championship was won by the Vikings as I thought the NFL and AFL merged after the Jets beat the Colts in 69
    Tarkenton's arm was made for the short passing game. He rarely through the ball downfield, frankly, because he threw bad balls. While he had a nice touch, he rarely threw a good spiral. From what I hear, once he got Chuck Foreman in the backfield the emphasis really shifted toward throwing to the back.

Bud Grant was also highly influential in the drafting of Darren Nelson, a scat back, who was equally effective catching the ball out of the backfield as rushing the ball. I'm intrigued by the drafting of Mewelde Moore, who has the same skills as Nelson. I'd like to see a little more emphasis put on the short passing game. Daunte's strength is throwing downfield, but a balanced attack would make downfield passing more effective.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

Wow, Viking & Husker talk all in the same thread? Now this is a great discussion.
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

"SKOL" wrote:
    Bud Grant was also highly influential in the drafting of Darren Nelson, a scat back, who was equally effective catching the ball out of the backfield as rushing the ball. I'm intrigued by the drafting of Mewelde Moore, who has the same skills as Nelson.
    I'm almost sorry to hear that. While Nelson had some skills, he is one of my LEAST favorite Viking players of all time. He couldn't break a tackle or even get a half a yard after contact if his life depended on it. A good breeze would put him on the ground. He ran well in open space, but never seemed to have the speed to get outside, and certainly was ineffective between the tackles. I'd bet his yards-per-carry average for his career is no better than about 3.8, maybe as bad as 3.5.

As a Viking fan since 69, the Vikings have always used the running backs out of the backfield as pass receivers. Bill Brown and Dave Osborn were both very adept at catching the ball. Foreman was special because he brought a wonderful combination of power and elusiveness, in addition to great hands, to the Vikings running game. He was the first Vikings RB to rush for 1000 yards in a season.

I'll also dispute your claim about Tarkenton's throws. Are you sure you aren't confusing him with Joe Kapp? Kapp threw a wounded duck about every other attempt. Tarkenton did not have an arm like Marino or Elway, but threw a very nice ball and went deep quite often. The Vikings were more of a ball control, move the chains kind of team. With that defense, you let your defense win you the battle of field position and turnovers, and don't do anything stupid. But Tark threw very nice spirals.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I wish I was old enough to not only contribute to this discussion, but also to have been able to see the Vikings teams of the 60s and 70s and to have seen both Foreman and Tarkenton play!! I guess I'll just have to be able to say that I got to watch Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper in their primes!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Gotta admit, I've learned something today. The Vikings actually pioneered something besides annual implosion. Cool.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

That was pretty low, los!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"purplepat" wrote:
    [quote]"SKOL" wrote:
    Tark threw very nice spirals.
    I can't say that I remember Joe Kapp, but I can remember Tarkenton. While my memories as a child are of him throwing ducks, I'll take your word for it that he threw a nice spiral Purplepat. I wish I had some tapes of old games to verify it.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Chuck Foreman had hands of stone when he first came into the NFL. That was why Ed Marinaro was taken. Marino went to Collage in Ithaca NY a little school called Cornell. I was raised in Binghamton NY a scant 40 minute drive away and I do remember the commotion that it made in the area. Tarkenton was a scramble not a pocket passer (which was why the Vikings traded him twice to NY) he admitted to not having an over powering arm but I never recalled him throwing ducks. In fact for many years he held the passing records in the NFL. Even when he was the Giant's QB he usually lead the league in passing and the Giants were not very good back then.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12