Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Bud Grant Said, "You need 3 things to be a great coach"

"Big" wrote:
    Our offense will stink as long as Childress sticks to his gol 'darnit schemes instead of playing to our players strengths. If he doesn't give up that mentality by next season (after 2 years of proof that it stinks) I no longer want him coaching my team. If you're too stubborn to admit you're wrong (and do something about it), you have no right running the ship.

Big C's uneducated ways to fix the offense:
    1. Start AP and spell him with Chestor. Love Chestor but things happen when AP touches the ball.
    2. Stop throwing bombs to Troy. He sucks at the deep ball so stop putting him in a position you know he will fail. He looks solid on crosssing routes and slants.
    3. Get the ball to Sidney Rice. He is a playmaker. KC is finally having success because they are giving Bowe the opportunity to make plays.
    4. Give the O-Line some help! When you have a TE or HB blocking your oppositions best defender (Kampman in this case) you're prettt much losing a down even before the snap. That is just plain poor coaching. I don't know why we don't occasionally keep an HB, FB or TE to buy the QB a few more seconds every once in a while.
    Pretty nice try my friend, however.......

Back on that whole "Starting thing"
    Does it really matter who takes the first play?
    They rotate at almost every position nowadays.
    Doesn't seem to be an issue with either one.
    The deep ones I've seen thrown to him weren't catchable.
    Can you give me an example of when he missed one that he should have caught this year.
    Seems he also caught a few balls last week on crossing patterns.
    Poor coaching again I presume?
    Gotta agree with you there.
    Were are all the "We gotta go out and get a big name proven WR now".
    Bench Fergy.
    Have you watched the games?
    You are picking out one isolated incident where the TE got hung out to dry by the RT from either a bad line call by Birk (who somehow seems to be blameless for the OL play).
    Was it bad coaching when T-rich and Shank and Klieny were blocking on the other plays?

If your gonna harp on him for a coaching issue, get on his ass for the thing that is seriously hosed, the OL Play.
    When he fixes that WR's will have time to run routes, QB's will have time to pass, TE won't get hung out to dry etc etc etc.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

I love how many people over complicate what Bud said. It was just a famous quote nothing more. He had great QBs. The line makes great QBs, so I think that one was given. Anyway, our QB is far from great. We have a better line than 3 quarters of the NFL and still teams like Cincinnati have a better QB. Also, what about Green Bay, not such a great line but an excellent QB (As much as I hate him). Bears....decent line...No QB. enough said.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    How many rings does Grant have, again ?
    :
    I guess Bud wasn't a good coach if he didn't win the SB!

???

Bud is the third winningest coach in NFL history. He took his team to 4 Superbowls. He took his team to the superbowl in three out of 4 years in one stretch. And would have taken his team to the superbowl 4 years in a row were it not for a key bad non call in the NFC championship game against Dallas.

He may not have won the superbowl but you may never see a Vikings coach with that degree of success again.

Despite his success people give him credit where it isn't due.

Fran Tarkenton said Bud Grant never drew up a single play . Bud said he relied on his assistant coaches to teach. He said he wasn't the teacher. Bud relied on great assistant coaches, one of whom was the offensive genius Jerry Burns. So the majoity of things we expect Childress to do, Bud didn't do.

One story I like about Bud made me think about our team today.Sorry I lost the link.

During pre-game warm ups for a game against Philadelphia, Grant asked Tarkenton "Fran, how many coaches do you see over there on the Eagles sideline?" Tarkenton replied "12, 13 or 14 . . . I think." "Now, how many do you see over here," Grant asked. Tarkenton said “Six”.

Grant explained, "I think we're going to win. The problem with all of those coaches is you have to find something for them to do." The Vikings beat the Eagles 31-12.

Tarkenton remembers the clarity with which Grant was able to explain things and his simple approach to running a team; "Bud Grant has more leadership ability and common sense than any person I have ever known or been around in my life. He was way ahead of his time in terms of dealing with players and his staff. On that day in Philadelphia, he just knew that the Eagles had too many coaches for everyone to possibly be on the same page."
    Great post!
    THAT's what I was hoping to spark with this thread.
    Good ol' Bud memories.
    Thanks for sharing that one.

He was a man before his time.
    Spent alot of time with some of his players over the years, Rashad, Paul Krause, Hilgenberg, not only was Bud a great leader, he commanded respect from his troops.
    Bud had four rules (or so I'm told), that's it.
    You break one, you're gone, or, sitting at a minimum.
    Certainly all coaches decisions can be questioned...they make many of them.
    Bud is the perfect example that Leaders do what's right, managers do the right thing, there IS a difference.
    Bud is a HUGE reason I'm a Viking fan to this day.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Big" wrote:
    Our offense will stink as long as Childress sticks to his gol 'darnit schemes instead of playing to our players strengths. If he doesn't give up that mentality by next season (after 2 years of proof that it stinks) I no longer want him coaching my team. If you're too stubborn to admit you're wrong (and do something about it), you have no right running the ship.

1. Start AP and spell him with Chestor. Love Chestor but things happen when AP touches the ball.
    2. Stop throwing bombs to Troy. He sucks at the deep ball so stop putting him in a position you know he will fail. He looks solid on crosssing routes and slants.
    3. Get the ball to Sidney Rice. He is a playmaker. KC is finally having success because they are giving Bowe the opportunity to make plays.
    4. Give the O-Line some help! When you have a TE or HB blocking your oppositions best defender (Kampman in this case) you're prettt much losing a down even before the snap. That is just plain poor coaching. I don't know why we don't occasionally keep an HB, FB or TE to buy the QB a few more seconds every once in a while.

I can agree with you on some parts, but #2 is completely lost on me.
    TWill has played well so far this year.
    He has caught pretty much everything catchable.
    Now if you want to complain about a WR who isn't worth the starting spot, let's talk about Fergie...

As far as the OL - I am pretty convinced that the problem is in the blocking scheme.
    I desperately want to go back to man blocking...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:

I can agree with you on some parts, but #2 is completely lost on me.
    TWill has played well so far this year.
    He has caught pretty much everything catchable.
    Now if you want to complain about a WR who isn't worth the starting spot, let's talk about Fergie...

As far as the OL - I am pretty convinced that the problem is in the blocking scheme.
    I desperately want to go back to man blocking...
    I agree with #2 to the extent that long psses would have a greater probability of being caught if thrown to Rice instead of Troy. Troy has really caught the ball pretty well this year with only one drop of a catchable ball. But he doesn't adjust to the ball nearly as well as Rice. He appears to be a little uncoordinated at times. And he seems to slow down a little when the receiver hand checks him sometimes.
    I wouldn't stop throwing long to him because, those routes clear out underneath routes for Wade or others. And he has the speed to stretch the field.
    But I would like to see Rice made the number one receiver and switch roles with Troy. Rice is definately the best receiver on this team.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Bowe has made such a difference for KC.
    Gonzalez is already finding way more space underneath, and I'm betting Johnson starts playing better too as defenses have to step back and spread out.

I think Rice can be that guy for us too!
    TWill does seem to be better at the crossing routes and slants, of course, our QBs are way more accurate up close than deep, so some of that is on them.

In theory, Childress' blocking scheme sounds great, but so far, it does not look like our big boys are figuring it out...as evidenced in those missed blocks, and poor blocking adjustments.
    On that play that Shank got beat, it seemed obvious to me that Cook should have moved over and helped out...instead, he doubled up with Hicks on the DT...?

Hate to say it, but unless he steps up soon, it is starting to look like Birk lost some of his mojo or something...too many plays where the pocket collapses in the middle (and on the sides) leaving no room to step up in the pocket, nor scramble.
    Maybe, he's just not big enough to handle the 350+ pound DTs we are seeing in the NFL today.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Bowe has made such a difference for KC.
    Gonzalez is already finding way more space underneath, and I'm betting Johnson starts playing better too as defenses have to step back and spread out.

I think Rice can be that guy for us too!
    TWill does seem to be better at the crossing routes and slants, of course, our QBs are way more accurate up close than deep, so some of that is on them.

In theory, Childress' blocking scheme sounds great, but so far, it does not look like our big boys are figuring it out...as evidenced in those missed blocks, and poor blocking adjustments.
    On that play that Shank got beat, it seemed obvious to me that Cook should have moved over and helped out...instead, he doubled up with Hicks on the DT...?

Hate to say it, but unless he steps up soon, it is starting to look like Birk lost some of his mojo or something...too many plays where the pocket collapses in the middle (and on the sides) leaving no room to step up in the pocket, nor scramble.
    Maybe, he's just not big enough to handle the 350+ pound DTs we are seeing in the NFL today.
    This thread is actually getting pretty good.
    As with this post, the last 3 or 4 posters are actually talking football and not shit.

Very nice my friends.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234