Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Bud Grant Said, "You need 3 things to be a great coach"

"StillPurple" wrote:
    How many rings does Grant have, again ?
    :
    You're just a pool of negativity, aren't you?

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

davike is offline Team Alumni

"StillPurple" wrote:
    :
    How many rings did Dan Marino have? We wouldn't want him when he was playing!

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    :
    I guess Bud wasn't a good coach if he didn't win the SB!

???

Bud is the third winningest coach in NFL history. He took his team to 4 Superbowls. He took his team to the superbowl in three out of 4 years in one stretch. And would have taken his team to the superbowl 4 years in a row were it not for a key bad non call in the NFC championship game against Dallas.

He may not have won the superbowl but you may never see a Vikings coach with that degree of success again.

Despite his success people give him credit where it isn't due.

Fran Tarkenton said Bud Grant never drew up a single play . Bud said he relied on his assistant coaches to teach. He said he wasn't the teacher. Bud relied on great assistant coaches, one of whom was the offensive genius Jerry Burns. So the majoity of things we expect Childress to do, Bud didn't do.

One story I like about Bud made me think about our team today.Sorry I lost the link.

During pre-game warm ups for a game against Philadelphia, Grant asked Tarkenton "Fran, how many coaches do you see over there on the Eagles sideline?" Tarkenton replied "12, 13 or 14 . . . I think." "Now, how many do you see over here," Grant asked. Tarkenton said “Six”.

Grant explained, "I think we're going to win. The problem with all of those coaches is you have to find something for them to do." The Vikings beat the Eagles 31-12.

Tarkenton remembers the clarity with which Grant was able to explain things and his simple approach to running a team; "Bud Grant has more leadership ability and common sense than any person I have ever known or been around in my life. He was way ahead of his time in terms of dealing with players and his staff. On that day in Philadelphia, he just knew that the Eagles had too many coaches for everyone to possibly be on the same page."
    Very nice post my friend.

And yet for all his brilliance and leadership qualities the still went 3-8-3 his first year.

1967: The Vikings go up north again this time hiring Coach Bud Grant who led the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to 4 Grey Cup Titles in 10 seasons. However, Grant would have trouble at the start losing his first 4 games as an NFL coach before the Vikings stunned the Packers in Green Bay 10-7. However the Vikings would still go on to finish in last place in the Central Division with a 3-8-3 record
    Sure glad the Vikings fans of old were a bit more patient with thier new coaches.

:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    :

???

Bud is the third winningest coach in NFL history. He took his team to 4 Superbowls. He took his team to the superbowl in three out of 4 years in one stretch. And would have taken his team to the superbowl 4 years in a row were it not for a key bad non call in the NFC championship game against Dallas.

He may not have won the superbowl but you may never see a Vikings coach with that degree of success again.

Fran Tarkenton said Bud Grant never drew up a single play . Bud said he relied on his assistant coaches to teach. He said he wasn't the teacher. Bud relied on great assistant coaches, one of whom was the offensive genius Jerry Burns. So the majoity of things we expect Childress to do, Bud didn't do.

One story I like about Bud made me think about our team today.Sorry I lost the link.

During pre-game warm ups for a game against Philadelphia, Grant asked Tarkenton "Fran, how many coaches do you see over there on the Eagles sideline?" Tarkenton replied "12, 13 or 14 . . . I think." "Now, how many do you see over here," Grant asked. Tarkenton said “Six”.

Grant explained, "I think we're going to win. The problem with all of those coaches is you have to find something for them to do." The Vikings beat the Eagles 31-12.

Tarkenton remembers the clarity with which Grant was able to explain things and his simple approach to running a team; "Bud Grant has more leadership ability and common sense than any person I have ever known or been around in my life. He was way ahead of his time in terms of dealing with players and his staff. On that day in Philadelphia, he just knew that the Eagles had too many coaches for everyone to possibly be on the same page."

And yet for all his brilliance and leadership qualities the still went 3-8-3 his first year.

1967: The Vikings go up north again this time hiring Coach Bud Grant who led the Winnipeg Blue Bombers to 4 Grey Cup Titles in 10 seasons. However, Grant would have trouble at the start losing his first 4 games as an NFL coach before the Vikings stunned the Packers in Green Bay 10-7. However the Vikings would still go on to finish in last place in the Central Division with a 3-8-3 record
    Sure glad the Vikings fans of old were a bit more patient with thier new coaches.

:
    It will be easier to show patience once we start to see some progress and start winning some of these close games.

Anectdotely, Bud Grant once caught 5 interceptions in one game !
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    :

???

:
    Hopefully this happens then . . .

1968: The Vikings get off to a solid start winning 3 of their first 4 games. However, stormy weather would arise, as the Vikings would lose their next 3 games. The Vikings would recover by winning their next 3 games. After losing their next 2 the Vikings sat at 6-6., but with Green Bay Packers losing several key players and coach Vince Lombardi the entire Central Division was weakened, and the Vikings would take advantage by winning their final 2 games to win their first Division Title with an 8-6 record. In the Divisional Playoffs at Baltimore the Vikings trailed the Colts 21-0 before a 4th Quarter rally fell short in a 24-14 loss.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"sleepagent" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    :

???

:

1968: The Vikings get off to a solid start winning 3 of their first 4 games. However, stormy weather would arise, as the Vikings would lose their next 3 games. The Vikings would recover by winning their next 3 games. After losing their next 2 the Vikings sat at 6-6., but with Green Bay Packers losing several key players and coach Vince Lombardi the entire Central Division was weakened, and the Vikings would take advantage by winning their final 2 games to win their first Division Title with an 8-6 record. In the Divisional Playoffs at Baltimore the Vikings trailed the Colts 21-0 before a 4th Quarter rally fell short in a 24-14 loss.
    Yea, except for the last part.
    In that one we beat the Colts in the Superbowl. (YUP, Purple glasses on again
    ;D)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Frostbite is offline Coach

I don't know if we all sometimes choose to forget....or just choose to ignore that our new Q.B. is just that....NEW. This team was in the middle of building around Daunte Culpepper when his injuries (One Severe) caused the franchise to look for another direction at that position. There were a lot of players brought in by draft and by trade specifically for Daunte. This team was already supposed to be completed and be championship competitive by 2007.

We basically have had to recircle the warships and take the hoard in an almost completely new direction. I am amazed how far we have come and how much we have already accomplished with this team since the replacements of many Key positions and Coaches over the past 5 years. We have had a very unstable atmosphere surrounding this team for at least that long.

So....can Childress right the ship?? I don't know....but I am not sure that any coach could have complete success after the overall workover this team has seen in thepast 5 year period. I am not a Brad Childress Fan in any way.....I am realistic...I want results the same as everyone else does.
    I just seem to remember the recent past in a different way than some fans see it. Being patient is not my virtue either, but with that said I would favor giving the current coahing staff at least the rest of this season to show us some steps in the right direction.

Cheers! Frostbite
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Did I hear or read somewhere where the Vikings had to "dumb down" their defense. Or am I dreaming?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    :

???

:

Yea, except for the last part.
    In that one we beat the Colts in the Superbowl. (YUP, Purple glasses on again
    ;D)
    Hey . . . glasses on or off (as in my case) . . . I'll take a winning record and a playoff appearance in year #2.
    Having said that . . . the bar gets higher next season though!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Big C is offline Coordinator

Our offense will stink as long as Childress sticks to his damn schemes instead of playing to our players strengths. If he doesn't give up that mentality by next season (after 2 years of proof that it stinks) I no longer want him coaching my team. If you're too stubborn to admit you're wrong (and do something about it), you have no right running the ship.

Big C's uneducated ways to fix the offense:
    1. Start AP and spell him with Chestor. Love Chestor but things happen when AP touches the ball.
    2. Stop throwing bombs to Troy. He sucks at the deep ball so stop putting him in a position you know he will fail. He looks solid on crosssing routes and slants.
    3. Get the ball to Sidney Rice. He is a playmaker. KC is finally having success because they are giving Bowe the opportunity to make plays.
    4. Give the O-Line some help! When you have a TE or HB blocking your oppositions best defender (Kampman in this case) you're prettt much losing a down even before the snap. That is just plain poor coaching. I don't know why we don't occasionally keep an HB, FB or TE to buy the QB a few more seconds every once in a while.

Halo 4. Start another fight.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast