Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Bud Grant Said, "You need 3 things to be a great coach"

When picking which 3-1 team might be good the rest of the year on ESPN NFL Countdown, Mike Ditka picked Tampa Bay.
    He went on to say why..."Bud Grant said, in order to be a great coach in the NFL, you need three things:
    1)
    a patient wife, 2) a good dog, and, 3) a good QUARTERBACK."
    Of course, he's referring to Jeff Garcia and assumed Gruden has #'s 1 and 2.

Man do I miss Bud!

Just curious what y'all think...how many of the aforementioned 3 does Childress have?

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Bud Grant Said, "You need 3 things to be a great coach"

A quick google doesn't show anything about a dog, I don't talk about other peoples wives and I think he has a good QB in the making.

My bet he has 2 out of 3 and the QB is one of them.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Also, I don't know about his wife or his dog but I believe our QB is going to come around.
    I'm not trying to put words in Bud Grant's mouth but I would add to his list:
    1) a line that can pass block for the QB so he has time to find his receivers; and
    2) A coach who coaches to the strengths of his players not the whims of his scheme.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Also, I don't know about his wife or his dog but I believe our QB is going to come around.
    1) a line that can pass block for the QB so he has time to find his receivers; and
    2) A coach who coaches to the strengths of his players not the whims of his scheme.
    That's the beauty about Bud, he is a person first, and a coach second.

BTW I get your point #1, the need is "a good line."
    Point #2, stated as a need would be..."a coach needs to have a brain?"
    ;D

We shall see about TJack.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"MaxVike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

;D

I agree with you both on the line and have touted that they need to fix that.
    Once that is done it solves 90% of our problems on the offensive side of the ball.

Other than the obligatory cliche of "Run AD more", what would you two do with respect to playing to the strengths of his players?

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"MaxVike" wrote:
    When picking which 3-1 team might be good the rest of the year on ESPN NFL Countdown, Mike Ditka picked Tampa Bay.
    He went on to say why..."Bud Grant said, in order to be a great coach in the NFL, you need three things:
    1)

Man do I miss Bud!

Just curious what y'all think...how many of the aforementioned 3 does Childress have?

So much for your good QB statement.
    Garcia was just taken off the field on a stretcher, looks like another bad concusion for Jeff.
    Remember, he missed 8 games after last years concusion, this may just be the end of the road for him......

Not nice seeing him hurt like that, and will be even worse if he goes out this way. Hopefully, it isn't as bad as it looks...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    1)

Man do I miss Bud!

So much for your good QB statement.
    Garcia was just taken off the field on a stretcher, looks like another bad concusion for Jeff.
    Remember, he missed 8 games after last years concusion, this may just be the end of the road for him......

Not nice seeing him hurt like that, and will be even worse if he goes out this way. Hopefully, it isn't as bad as it looks...
    Ditka's comment, not mine.
    Bummer for Garcia, I like the way he plays the game.
    Hope he's ok.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

;D

Once that is done it solves 90% of our problems on the offensive side of the ball.

Other than the obligatory cliche of "Run AD more", what would you two do with respect to playing to the strengths of his players?

I guess I'm talking about the blocking schemes of Childress in the "Zone blocking" vs "man to man."

So here's an interesting thought, come next year's draft, who do you go for first a good offensive tackle or a QB? I know, it's probably to early to tell but I wouldn't be opposed to find a good offensive lineman as my first choice if there was a standout.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

;D

I guess I'm talking about the blocking schemes of Childress in the "Zone blocking" vs "man to man."

So here's an interesting thought, come next year's draft, who do you go for first a good offensive tackle or a QB? I know, it's probably to early to tell but I wouldn't be opposed to find a good offensive lineman as my first choice if there was a standout.
    If TJack doesn't turn out to be our QB based on his play this year, then you trade for one who can win now and pick the "best player available," as long as it's offensive line
    ;D.
    This team is close...we cannot take another year to train a QB.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"MaxVike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

;D

If TJack doesn't turn out to be our QB based on his play this year, then you trade for one who can win now and pick the "best player available," as long as it's offensive line
    ;D.
    This team is close...we cannot take another year to train a QB.
    I am in agreement with MV, sort of.
    If TJack doesn't work out by December and Childress retains his job, then the Vikes need to be in the market for a QB, whether FA or trade.
    If we finish with a losing record, there is a very real possibility that Childress is let go, and I would be fine with a new coach picking a QB in the first round if the draft plays out that way.

Of course, I am still hoping that Childress pulls this team together and finishes with a winning record.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast