Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Bud Grant: “I hated training camps”

[size=18px]Training camps now have more of homelike feel [/size]

UNION-TRIBUNE
    July 22, 2006

Grass drills, up, down, up, down, until your lungs are bursting. Two-a-days, or torture doubled. Curfews. Miss 'em and it'll cost you. Sitting through another evening meeting, when you would prefer to be sleeping.

And always the threat of “the Turk,” that mythical assassin, knocking on the door and saying, “Come to the coach's office – and bring your playbook.”

The routine of NFL training camps is recited because it has not changed substantially since the New York Giants began the procedure in 1925. Until now, that is. No longer are teams in any numbers trooping off to cornfields in the Midwest or to the backwoods of the East to conduct their summer nip-ups. They're staying home, apparently mindful that to coop up grown men away from their families is dehumanizing.

Thirteen of the 32 NFL teams are scheduled to train at their home bases.

There's also this: Players are full-time employees. Their preparation for a season seldom ceases. The time when fat men showed up in July and would work themselves into shape is no more. One day, training camps as we know them might cease to exist.

“Unfortunately, yes,” Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manager Bruce Allen said. “Too many lawyers involved.”

His reference was to attempts by the NFL Players Association to limit the length of the training process.

“But one of our great assets is Gene Upshaw (executive director of the NFLPA), who understands the fabric of a football team and the importance of conditioning,” Allen said.

Bud Grant, still involved with the Minnesota Vikings as a consultant at the age of 79, said training camps are not as meaningful as they were when he four times was delivering the Vikings into Super Bowls. Grant's camps, it can be remembered, were brief.

“I hated training camps,” Grant said. “I got that idea from having been in them as a player. I would tell the players, 'If you're interested, come in shape.' If they weren't in shape, they weren't interested.”

Grant recognized that free agency has altered what teams have to accomplish in July and August. “Nowadays,” he noted, “guys will go to hell for 5 percent more. Fifty percent of a team can be different.”

In his time as a coach, Grant had veteran squads. He annually would have to fit only five or six players onto his teams. “The rest would be returning,” he said. “We would have the same group for 10 to 12 years.” Grant had as few as four assistant coaches and never more than six. The current Minnesota coach, Brad Childress, has 22. “One for each player,” Grant noted.

“On top of that, technology is so much more advanced,” said Grant, who questioned why teams are continuing to play four exhibition games.

“These fellows know a team's scheme of things because they have been attending indoctrination camps,” he said. “Preseason games are a rip-off. They schedule them, then they announce that the quarterback is not going to play. It's ridiculous. Who wants to watch a preseason game?”

Grant would limit preseason games to two and add two games to the 16-game regular-season schedule.

“Fans would be happier, players would be happier, coaches would be happier, everybody would be happier,” he said. “And television would be happier. It would have to go through the players union, but that could be worked out.”

While Allen can envision a time when training camps have become extinct, he considers them useful.

“Does Derrick Brooks need a training camp?” he asked, citing the Bucs' distinguished linebacker. “No, not necessarily. But we're bringing in 90 players. Forty of them will be competing for 10 jobs. Those players are able to accomplish a lot in camp.”

Let the two-a-days commence.

Jerry Magee: (619) 293-1830; [email protected]

Training camps now have more of homelike feel

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Bud Grant: “I hated training camps”

Go Bud!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    Go Bud!
    This Bud has always been for us! :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Man I love Bud Grant.. That guy tells like he sees it, and doesn't care who or if he will offend when saying it.. I like his idea of cutting out pre season games, and adding games to the regular season.. I would love to see 20 regular season games a year.. 1 extramonth of Vikings football would be great, as it would be for any fan of any team..

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Grant had as few as four assistant coaches and never more than six. The current Minnesota coach, Brad Childress, has 22. “One for each player,” Grant noted.
    I never remembered Bud having so few coaches. Amazing isn't it?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Dangit, Bud.........quit beating around the bush.

Bud Grant is soooo cool.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Grant had as few as four assistant coaches and never more than six. The current Minnesota coach, Brad Childress, has 22. “One for each player,” Grant noted.
    He didn't need as many people to hold his hand and make decisions for him.

bigdaddy72_1 is offline Starter

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    He didn't need as many people to hold his hand and make decisions for him.
    And a normal 6th grader could have understood his schemes, not to knock on Bud, he is a great guy and coach, but times have changed since he coached. And een he seems to agree with what Childress is doing, he said one for every player, I don't know if that was a joke or what but it seems to me that he was just bringing up a corrollary that helps to show the significance behind whats going on.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    really is if you think about it..... thats a lot of work for 5-7 people..

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

oakmage is offline Starter

Check this out
    Bud Grant was the Head coach 6 CFL gray cups teams and coached the Vikings to 4 Super bowl games that is 10 World Championship games folks. He is also in both he CFL and The NFL Halls of Fame. Need I say more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast