Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Opinions are like ass$%#.........everyone has one. This one strikes a chord with me. Bud Grant was/is the greatest coach the Vikes have EVER had. He didnt win the SB, and that sucks, no doubt. SO if the criteria is hardware only then CMac and Caine are right, but id rather have Bud, or Marv Levy over Barry Switzer types anyday. Its pretty sad that our season is to the point where we are poking holes in a true MN legend.

As to the current issue, Leslie sought out Bud, just as other coaches have in the past.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by CbusVikefan View Post
    Holey Smokes!!!! Viking Blasphemy!!!!
    Not only did Bud Grant coach some of the greatest Vikings, but some of the greatest players to ever play the game of football. Unfortunately when the Vikings went to the Super Bowls that they did, they faced some of the greatest teams ever to be assembled. Steelers, Chiefs, Dolphins and the Raiders. Let me reel off some names that they went up against. Mean Joe Green, Lynn Swann, Bradshaw, Bob Griese, Larrry Czonka, Paul Warfield, Lenny Dawson. There are many many more that are HOF'ers from these teams. How about your favorite Vikings? Think PH is as good as CC? Trading career stats for a Super Bowl? Too many thing have to go RIGHT to win a SB. And judging someone on what they didnt do is just plain silly. DId you ever see John Randle play???? If you didnt enjoy that on Sundays, you're not a fan of football or the Vikings. And to call Bud Grant "the least smelly turd" should get you banned from here, but I guess freedom of speech is ours to own. I am ashamed for you. Oh yea, there were some NFC Championship games that the VIkings went up against in the Bud Grant era, some of the names on those teams, Roger Staubach, Merlin Olsen, there are hof'ers everywhere. I guess History was'nt one of your favorite subjects. That's not PurplePride at all. Purple Pride IS History!!!!!!!!!
    While I get what you're saying, listing Bradshaw among those players is a joke. Have you ever looked at his career stats? His career passer rating was 70.9, with 212 TDs and 210 INTs. We lost to the Steelers D... not Terry Bradshaw.

But yeah, I completely understand what you're saying... and John Randle was a beast.

It's just disappointing that 40 years later, Grant is still the best coach the Vikings have ever had... and he never won a Super Bowl. But, I did enjoy reading this article and hope Fraizer listened to what Grant had to say.

I also read today that Tony Dungy's first year as the Bucs HC (1996), he started the year 0-5, and finished 6-10. Not really that inspiring, but it's a little ray of sunshine during these dark times.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Nice to see you back Cmac

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    All I really know is what I've heard and seen on TV. Bud Grant was by far the best Vikings coach ever. That's not saying much seeing as we're not a very old team, but if I follow these old timers properly he's probably going to be the best we've had for a while, for good reason.

We haven't had a line as good as the PPE since, most teams haven't, that's pretty remarkable.Well 2 HOFers and Jim Marshall, who damn well should be in, out of a 4 man line.

How about Fran The Man, did he start his career under Bud Grant? Whoever let him do what he did, was truly an innovator, with massive cojones. It's only now becoming okay for NFL teams to develop their franchise around a 'running' QB. Remember at the controversy surrounding Vick? No the first one. Whether a 'running' QB could ever succeed in the NFL. That was in the early 2000s...

Quote Originally Posted by slavinator View Post
    Nice to see you back Cmac
    Thanks bud. Should be a quiet year for me, so I may only get kicked off 2 or 3 times.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I understand that and am happy he has a lot of respect from his players. Personally, I think the measure of success for an NFL coach is a Super Bowl ring.

Honest question: Do you think Grant was a better coach than Marv Levy?
    I was going to make a witty remark here, but it came off like an ass....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Quote Originally Posted by ThorSPL View Post
    I was going to make a witty remark here, but it came off like an ass....
    Never stopped me before.

CbusVikefan is offline Training Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    While I get what you're saying, listing Bradshaw among those players is a joke. Have you ever looked at his career stats? His career passer rating was 70.9, with 212 TDs and 210 INTs. We lost to the Steelers D... not Terry Bradshaw.

But yeah, I completely understand what you're saying... and John Randle was a beast.

It's just disappointing that 40 years later, Grant is still the best coach the Vikings have ever had... and he never won a Super Bowl. But, I did enjoy reading this article and hope Fraizer listened to what Grant had to say.

I also read today that Tony Dungy's first year as the Bucs HC (1996), he started the year 0-5, and finished 6-10. Not really that inspiring, but it's a little ray of sunshine during these dark times.
    lol, you did notice who I listed first.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456