Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    Lay off of Bud. The Dude is in the Hall of Fame. Great coach! Class act, tough as nails.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by shockzilla View Post
    Wow, you guys have no sense of reverence or Vikings history, do you? Just because Bud Grant never won a Super Bowl doesn't mean he wasn't a great coach. Ask all the hundreds of players who played for him.
    I'm guessing they weren't even born yet when Grant coached.

Here's more coaches they don't think are great;

Andy Reid
    Dan Reeves
    Marty Schottenheimer

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I do not agree with this comment.

I like Grant, but not sure being a good coach 30-40 years ago gives him the right to walk into the current coach's office and start giving him advice.

Either way, Grant is a class act and shouldn't be referred to as a turd.
    You clearly didn't read the article right - Frazier walked by Grant's office, Grant didn't walk into Frazier's office. BIG difference there. Grant was offering advice, and Frazier obviously knew enough that when Bud Grant offers to give you advice, you listen.

But I totally understand your point of view.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Hard to say, that's a really good question. Slightly different eras, of course. I don't think you can really say. I guess if one or the other had won a Super Bowl, you would say they were better. What's your opinion on that question?
    I really don't know. Sorta look at them the same way, they could never get the "Big One."

Obviously as a Vikings fan, I've always thought Grant was better than Levy. But as I step back and look at the question objectively, it's difficult to say. I'd probably still say Grant because of the way his former players talk about him. Marv Levy's name just doesn't bring the same respect it seems.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    You clearly didn't read the article right - Frazier walked by Grant's office, Grant didn't walk into Frazier's office. BIG difference there. Grant was offering advice, and Frazier obviously knew enough that when Bud Grant offers to give you advice, you listen.

But I totally understand your point of view.

You're very right, I did read that incorrectly.

Which raises the question, why does Bud Grant have an office at Winter Park?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I thought he was going to tell Leslie not to show so much emotion on the sidelines.....

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Minnesota Vikings | Front Office Staff

Bud Grant is listed as a consultant

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

I guess the organization thinks that much of him. It would be like the Packers having an office for Lombardi, of course if he were retired and still alive. Bud represents the greatest era in Vikings history, and I guess he wants to remain tied to the game and the team.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Wow, you guys have no sense of reverence or Vikings history, do you? Just because Bud Grant never won a Super Bowl doesn't mean he wasn't a great coach. Ask all the hundreds of players who played for him.
    Reverence? Where is it deserved? I know Grant was a great coach, but I'm sure he would rather be viewed as an average coach who won a couple super bowls. We have had some excellent players and some good-great coaches, but if you want your history to be "revered" you better win some super bowls.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm guessing they weren't even born yet when Grant coached.

Here's more coaches they don't think are great;

Andy Reid
    Dan Reeves
    Marty Schottenheimer
    Nope, I wasn't born. I know Bud is the greatest coach in Vikings history, and he is a HOFer and all that jazz, but that doesn't change the fact that he never won a super bowl. You can be the an amazing coach but if you don't win a SB, it's hard to look at your time as a coach as a success.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast