Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Bud Grant among Childress admirers

I posted dis elsewhere, so's youse can delete it if ya wants ta:
    ================================================
    Football knowledge shown during the job interview convinced the former Vikings coach that the team had found the right man for the job.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune

It was obvious once the owners of the Vikings interviewed Brad Childress that the current Eagles offensive coordinator was their man.

They had also interviewed Al Saunders, offensive coordinator for the Chiefs; Ted Cottrell, defensive coordinator for the Vikings, and Jim Caldwell, quarterbacks coach for the Colts.

Former Vikings coach Bud Grant, who was involved in the interviewing of Childress, said he was impressed with his football knowledge.

"I had never met the man before, but my impression was that he had the background and experience that the Vikings need," Grant said. "He has been around in the NFL for some time. I believe he is prepared to lead a playoff contender like the Vikings. He is prepared to take the next step after being an assistant."

Grant said Childress brought his wife, Dru-Ann, here after the interview. Perhaps that indicates how much he wanted the job.

"He was supposed to also be interviewed by the Packers, but he canceled the trip," Grant said. "I believe the Viking job is the best of those available, and he probably knew that."

Childress also had an interview scheduled with Houston that he canceled.

Childress previously worked for Wisconsin football coach Barry Alvarez for eight years as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and Alvarez, who is retiring from coaching to concentrate on his athletic director duties, couldn't say enough good things about Childress.

"He was going to be a head coach sooner or later," Alvarez said.

Jim Hueber, a former Gophers line coach who was the Wisconsin line coach for six of the years that Childress was at Wisconsin, talked about how much he learned from Childress.

"I joined the Wisconsin staff the year that Brad was named the offensive coordinator," Hueber said. "So we worked together for a long time. He is a tireless worker, very smart, and is a good leader."

Yes, Childress helped turn the Wisconsin program around, and when he and Andy Reid took over the Eagles, that team was having a lot of trouble beating anybody.

The big thing is that Zygi Wilf and his group were able to hire a winner. Until this season, when injuries piled up, the Eagles had won at least 11 games every season since Childress became offensive coordinator in 2002.

One of very smart things Zygi did was to involve Grant in the process. I don't know of anybody in the NFL who could judge people better than Grant, and he liked Childress from the start.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

DEEP PURPLE is offline Starter

Re: Bud Grant among Childress admirers

Good read, thanks OMV!
    If I hear Michelle Bonner say "He works that one to right" one more time, I m getting on a plane for Bristol, going to the ESPNEWS set, and ripping out her vocal cords.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"DEEP PURPLE" wrote:
    Good read, thanks OMV!
    Ditto

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Great read, Thanks!
    I loved Bud as coach, and if Childress has his okay that's good enough for me!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Former Vikings coach Bud Grant, who was involved in the interviewing of Childress, said he was impressed with his football knowledge.

"I had never met the man before, but my impression was that he had the background and experience that the Vikings need," Grant said. "He has been around in the NFL for some time. I believe he is prepared to lead a playoff contender like the Vikings. He is prepared to take the next step after being an assistant."

Grant said Childress brought his wife, Dru-Ann, here after the interview. Perhaps that indicates how much he wanted the job.

"He was supposed to also be interviewed by the Packers, but he canceled the trip," Grant said. "I believe the Viking job is the best of those available, and he probably knew that."
    Thats good enough for me. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

WWBGD

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Yea that's good stuff. If BG says it's ok then it's ok with me!

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

DEVIKINGFAN! is offline Pro-Bowler

Wow Good to know Bud is still involved with the team that much. I knew that he had been, but I thought that had faded over the last 10 years.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn t thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

I didn't even know Bud was still alive.. much less active in the coaching decisions of the vikes!
    i m better than you, so just give up...

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Bud has a front office with the Vikings and always has, he's kinda like the silent God Father of the Vikings.......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

hailtocarter is offline Asst. Coach

"DEVIKINGFAN!" wrote:
    Wow Good to know Bud is still involved with the team that much. I knew that he had been, but I thought that had faded over the last 10 years.
    Yep I think it's great that Wilf realized the importance of Bud and Vikings history enough to involve him with the decision making.

Hey DE I just noticed that Vikings poster in your avatar is the same one I have up on my wall...sweet!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast