Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Bud calls MeMo a "meow".

"VikingNed" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I'd be surprised if Childress actually likes getting advice from Bud. Childress seems to have his own opinions already on how to HC a football team.
    I would think most people would be more than happy to listen to one of the greatest coaches ever. Childress may have his own agenda, but those who make it to the top and stay there, still usually take advice from those who have been there before, espeicaly when it's coming from an ex-coach who happens to be in the Hall of Fame....

Not saying Childress will do what Bud suggest, but I'll bet my last 2 cents, he listens and listens with open ears......
    I hope he opens his ears to Bud. At least think about the stuff he's told anyways.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Mater of fact, I bet he never gets offered a head coaching job again, unless some freak of nature act happens, like the head coach of a team dropping dead from a heart attach and Tice having to step in....
    really? hm.... pretty sure he's "Assistant Head Coach" in Jacksonville, he'll probably have his chance again

he's a good guy, and a scary judge of talent

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Bud calls MeMo a

"VikingNed" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Bud didn't say anything different than what Tice did last year.

Tice sat Memos jiggly butt down when he was wet nursing injuries & played Bennett instead.

Difference here is when Tice said it, many people here said he was a meathead, not HC material & chastized him most of the rest of the season for it.

Now that Bud says it, I don't hear those same people bad mouthing Bud for it. As a matter of fact it's quite the opposite. Hmmmm! :wink:
    Hate to say it Singer but I will, how can you even put Tice's name in the same sentence as Bud Grants?....

Tice will never make the Hall of Fame, and I'de bet my house on that...

I always said one thing about Tice and today I'll say the same, Tice is not Head Coach Material, he may be a great position coach, maybe even a good O assistent coach, but head coaching material he is not.

Tice's biggest downfall is he gets to buddy buddy with his players.....

Fine for a position coach, but not a head coach...

And as far as Memo is concerned, I feel he still has great potential, as long as he doesn't let minor injuries determine if he is going to or wants to play.....

As for last year, he was hurt, just how bad I don't personaly know, but his injuries could have been worse than anyone really wanted us to know...

I will never go against Singers, but I totally agree with Ned on this one.. Tice is not even in the same league as Grant, and should never be compared to him.. Fans of the Vikings have always respected Bud Grant for what he has done for the Vikings as a orginization.. Tice has always been a "yes man", he has always favored certain players, and publicy downgraded those he didn't like.. If Childress is smart, he will take some advice from Grant.. Childress is in good company in Minnesota these days, so he shouldn't have to much to worry about..

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    Mater of fact, I bet he never gets offered a head coaching job again, unless some freak of nature act happens, like the head coach of a team dropping dead from a heart attach and Tice having to step in....
    really? hm.... pretty sure he's "Assistant Head Coach" in Jacksonville, he'll probably have his chance again

he's a good guy, and a scary judge of talent
    If you read my post again, I said Tice is a very good position coach and could more than likely be a good Assistant Coach ( I know he's the Assitent with Jacksonville now) but I really doubt he will ever be a head coach again. Tice has his strong points, but the whole package, he is lacking in what it takes to make a head coach I believe, at least a really good one.

I hope none of you get me wrong, I was never a Tice hater, and I was one of many who thought the way he was let go was a bunch of bull and a classless act on the owners part, but I did think letting him go was good for us.

I'll always wish him the best, but personaly, I don't think he has what it takes to be a good head coach in the NFL....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i completely agree, im just saying dont count it out, in this day and age the head coach position lasts shorter and shorter - you have a bad year and an owner that doesnt like that - you're gone, the life of an NFL coach isnt what it used to be

the longer Tice stays around - the more experience he gets under other coaches, the more of a prospect he might turn out to be for a future team when the firing rounds begin at the end of the season. with a good supporting staff of coaches, he could get something done in the future

(not that im trying to defend the guy, i would never want him back although i never hated him, just saying dont rule it out; oh and for clarity, yes im doing this just for arguements sake <3 the offseason)

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Tice sat Memos jiggly butt down when he was wet nursing injuries & played Bennett instead.

Difference here is when Tice said it, many people here said he was a meathead, not HC material & chastized him most of the rest of the season for it.

Now that Bud says it, I don't hear those same people bad mouthing Bud for it. As a matter of fact it's quite the opposite. Hmmmm! :wink:
    Hate to say it Singer but I will, how can you even put Tice's name in the same sentence as Bud Grants?....

I always said one thing about Tice and today I'll say the same, Tice is not Head Coach Material, he may be a great position coach, maybe even a good O assistent coach, but head coaching material he is not.

And as far as Memo is concerned, I feel he still has great potential, as long as he doesn't let minor injuries determine if he is going to or wants to play.....

As for last year, he was hurt, just how bad I don't personaly know, but his injuries could have been worse than anyone really wanted us to know...

I will never go against Singers, but I totally agree with Ned on this one.. Tice is not even in the same league as Grant, and should never be compared to him.. Fans of the Vikings have always respected Bud Grant for what he has done for the Vikings as a orginization.. Tice has always been a "yes man", he has always favored certain players, and publicy downgraded those he didn't like.. If Childress is smart, he will take some advice from Grant.. Childress is in good company in Minnesota these days, so he shouldn't have to much to worry about..
    You guys are missing my point completely. It's not about who is a better coach, my point was about what both coaches said about Memo.

Both men said essentially the same thing about Memo. One you chastized for it, one you praised for it.

Make up your minds. If Bud is right then Tice was right. You can't bash one & not bash the other.

Has everyone besides me forgotten about the multi-page thread when Tice benched Memo because he wet nursed his injury & didn't show the attitude that he wanted to play? :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    i completely agree, im just saying dont count it out, in this day and age the head coach position lasts shorter and shorter - you have a bad year and an owner that doesnt like that - you're gone, the life of an NFL coach isnt what it used to be

the longer Tice stays around - the more experience he gets under other coaches, the more of a prospect he might turn out to be for a future team when the firing rounds begin at the end of the season. with a good supporting staff of coaches, he could get something done in the future

(not that im trying to defend the guy, i would never want him back although i never hated him, just saying dont rule it out; oh and for clarity, yes im doing this just for arguements sake <3 the offseason)
    I hear ya Vikes_King,

But not only do I feel Tice is not good head coaching material, I belive he has tainted his chances some as being a coach again..

His getting caught scalping Super Bowl Tickets sure doesn't look good on his resume and his handling of the boat scandle was not that great either. Again I'll say, he's a great position coach and knows how to spot lineman talent and how to work with them espeicaly. I think that his biggest downfall is the way he trys to be a player friendly type coach....He needs to be more discipline orriented, but it's hard to be something your not.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Rastak is offline Rookie

"singersp" wrote:

Yea, I see your point but when a RB is peddling away on the stationary bike to stay warm and Tice says he should be standing next to me to get into the game I do wonder.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

You guys are missing my point completely. It's not about who is a better coach, my point was about what both coaches said about Memo.

Both men said essentially the same thing about Memo. One you chastized for it, one you praised for it.

Make up your minds. If Bud is right then Tice was right. You can't bash one & not bash the other. :wink:

No singer, I am not misleading you.. I know exactly what you meant by what you said.. I am just saying that all Viking fans respected Bud Grant, and basically could not stand Tice, so they look at it differently when Grant calls someone a pussy, versus when Tice calls someone a pussy..

Sorry if it sounds like I didn't understand what you meant, but I understood completely.. Its just Grant will always be remembered as a legend in the Viking orginization, while Tice will always be remembered as a OLC that only got the HC position because our previous owner was a cheap bastard.. So people don't get down on Grant, like they do Tice...

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I think what Singer says here is correct. Many fans bashed Tice for saying the same thing Grant has said. He brought up the point so people can ponder it. He never made any suggestion that Tice is a HOF HC nor has he implied it. He certainly never stated Tice and Grant are the same calibur HC.

However, since the topic has come up I think Tice will once again be a HC in this league. I think he took over for the Vikings and he wasn't totally ready for it. I think he definately has the heart for it. He just needs to demand more discipline from his players. With the right staff around him he can learn a lot. Jack Del Rio is a classy guy and I'm sure Tice will do good under him. In the mean time he can learn how to separate himself from the players and learn to make the right decisions at the right times.

The decision I really began not to like Tice as a HC was the play a couple of years ago against Seattle. The infamous let's let Moss throw a pass in the end zone with 2 minutes left in the game. I understand he was taking a chance. But here's how I look at it. Even if we scored that TD, we would have been up by 3 or 4 points (I don't remember specifically). The bottom line is there were still 2 minutes left for the Seahawks to drive down the field against our cruddy defense. I would have rather pounded the ball in the endzone and took time off the clock. That was the determining factor for me regarding Tice.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast