Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Buccaneers O-Line as bad as Advertised

Sept. 5th: The Bucs with likely to go with two first-time starters on the left side of their offensive line Sunday, in LT Anthony Davis and LG Dan Buenning.

Rookie guard a likely starter
    By RICK STROUD, St. Petersburg Times Staff Writer
    Published September 5, 2005

TAMPA - Rookie Dan Buenning appears to have won the job at left guard and expects to start in the opener Sunday at Minnesota.

Buenning, a fourth-round pick from Wisconsin, lined up next to tackle Anthony Davis with the first-team offense in Sunday's practice, the first workout since the Bucs trimmed their roster to 53.

"Yeah, I mean, nothing's in stone," Buenning said. "But absolutely, I love it. I've just got to try to get better and not become complacent with it and keep fighting."

Buenning, 23, replaces veteran Matt Stinchcomb , 28, who missed the first three preseason games with a lower back strain. Neither Buenning nor Davis has started an NFL game. That means the Bucs have lost 167 games of starting experience on the left side of their offensive line with the release of 14th-year tackle Derrick Deese (131 career starts) and the benching of Stinchcomb (36 starts).

"I don't want to come off sounding cocky, but that was my goal the whole time, was to come out and play," Buenning said, a four-year starter at Wisconsin. "I've just got to keep working and make sure that happens. Making the team was never too much of a question in my mind."

The 6-foot-4, 320-pound Buenning said he already has developed chemistry with Davis.

"I think we've got a good connection," Buenning said. "Maybe because we are young guys and we're going to help each other out there as much as we can, because it's our butts on the line."

Sounds like Griese running for his life to me !!! (ahhhh, ya ... warm fuzzies :3some: )

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Buccaneers O-Line as bad as Advertised

yup and the revival of the Purple People Eaters get off to a quick start! :twisted:

Thanks Josdin

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

Wow. K-Will and P-Will against those guys had better be murder! I wouldn't want to be their QB...

Space Coyote Guest

I'm in a "rank" football pool at work. I picked the Vikes for 16 points just because I want to get the gambling season off to a good start.

We're gonna kill 'em.

"Space Coyote" wrote:
    I'm in a "rank" football pool at work. I picked the Vikes for 16 points just because I want to get the gambling season off to a good start.

We're gonna kill 'em.
    Same here man ... they throw in 2 college game also. So, 18 for the highest ... I put the Vikes at 14.

Space Coyote Guest

Huh...lemmie ask...

The hardest two for me to predict is the Cowboys/Chargers and the Jets/Chiefs.

I'm thinking the Bolts...but I went against everyone I know in KC (surprise) who is picking the Chiefs. What did you do?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I am not stepping on my eggs before they are cooked in the skillet.

I mean I am not counting sheep until the jump.

I also don't believe in killing two chickens with one stone, I like to use one axe in particular.

It is like splitting hairs on the back of a camel that broke his back.

Just because they are young doesn't mean the can't step it up. I am more worried about our line performing at a consistant level without false starts and holding penalties.

"Space Coyote" wrote:
    Huh...lemmie ask...

The hardest two for me to predict is the Cowboys/Chargers and the Jets/Chiefs.

I'm thinking the Bolts...but I went against everyone I know in KC (surprise) who is picking the Chiefs. What did you do?
    I went Bolts and Chiefs ... at home. They both were 3 point favorites on the Vegas odds ... So, when in doubt, go with the home team has been my experience. But both are really toss up's.

TripB77 is offline Rookie

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Just because they are young doesn't mean the can't step it up. I am more worried about our line performing at a consistant level without false starts and holding penalties.
    Exactly. I dont want our D-line going in thinking that the rookies wont get it done and then not bring their A-game.

Burley81 is offline Asst. Coach

Griese is going to get crushed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast