Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: Bryant McKinnie arrested in Miami nightclub fight

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Mr." wrote:
    This honestly pisses me off. McKinnie is smarter then this, come on.I hope he doesn't get something like a 4 game suspension for this, we need him on the line.
    I hope and expect him to get a four game suspension.

Not only will this (hopefully) open his eyes, but it would also give us a chance to evaluate whatever depth we bring in in case he screws up again and he is no longer playing in purple.
    I agree, the NFL should take the disciplinarian approach.

The NFL started taking this over so the individual franchises could get out from under the pressure like they experienced in MN over the Love Boat, or in Cincinatti (on a daily basis). Now the Vikings or Bengals can say look at the NFL office on this one, don't look at us.

About the incident being so violent, unfortunately, their are many players that can't distinguish between the violence level on the field and off the filed.
    This has been an issue for YEARS.

Don't punish these guys, let's get them some help.
    The NFL is a violent sport, not on the level of blood spewed, but on the mentality of the individual playing the game.

It is part of physical competition.
    You have to be kidding me!! You don't think players know the difference between football and assault? I think they do, and if they don't then they should be locked up somewhere. Don't punish them? that is rediculous, someone could be killed. I don't think football makes someone more violent, I think violent people sometimes play football, which is good, it can be a release for them, but it should never be an excuse for them.
    That is not what I said.

They do have a difficult time distinguishing the difference.
    Most of the players that have this problem I would suspect would have gambling problem or addictions.
    It is not a means to justify what was done, it is only a perspective to look at this situation.
    You did write, and I quote, "Don't punish these guys, let's get them some help". I have no problem with offering them help, but you also need to severely punish the them to make a point to other players that it is not ok. If McKinnie gets a lifetime ban from the NFL maybe more players could seperate football from real life violence.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

We had better start looking for a tackle via free agency or the draft.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Jackass. It's so dificult to get quality LTs, even if McKinnie could improve his game, he were not the worst out there.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I honestly can't see Childress cutting him.
    He may discipline and suspend him, but he's not stupid.
    I don't think he'd cut such a vital part of our O line without having someone adaquate to replace him.
    Regardless of what some think, McKinnie is a top 10 LT in the league.
    He may be a little slow, but he's a great pass blocker with slower ends, and great
    in the run game.
    You can't cut him unless there's a proven player available, which there isn't.
    They're not going to trade up to get Long, so the draft IMO is out of the question for an immediate replacement.

What the league does is an entirely different story.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    [quote author=Mr. Purple link=topic=42643.msg727869#msg727869 date=1203916418]
    This honestly pisses me off. McKinnie is smarter then this, come on.I hope he doesn't get something like a 4 game suspension for this, we need him on the line.
    I hope and expect him to get a four game suspension.

Not only will this (hopefully) open his eyes, but it would also give us a chance to evaluate whatever depth we bring in in case he screws up again and he is no longer playing in purple.
    I agree, the NFL should take the disciplinarian approach.

The NFL started taking this over so the individual franchises could get out from under the pressure like they experienced in MN over the Love Boat, or in Cincinatti (on a daily basis). Now the Vikings or Bengals can say look at the NFL office on this one, don't look at us.

About the incident being so violent, unfortunately, their are many players that can't distinguish between the violence level on the field and off the filed.
    This has been an issue for YEARS.
    Don't punish these guys, let's get them some help.
    The NFL is a violent sport, not on the level of blood spewed, but on the mentality of the individual playing the game.

It is part of physical competition.
    You have to be kidding me!! You don't think players know the difference between football and assault? I think they do, and if they don't then they should be locked up somewhere. Don't punish them? that is rediculous, someone could be killed. I don't think football makes someone more violent, I think violent people sometimes play football, which is good, it can be a release for them, but it should never be an excuse for them.
    That is not what I said.

They do have a difficult time distinguishing the difference.
    Most of the players that have this problem I would suspect would have gambling problem or addictions.
    It is not a means to justify what was done, it is only a perspective to look at this situation.
    You did write, and I quote, "Don't punish these guys, let's get them some help". I have no problem with offering them help, but you also need to severely punish the them to make a point to other players that it is not ok. If McKinnie gets a lifetime ban from the NFL maybe more players could seperate football from real life violence.
    [/quote]

Lifetime Ban!
    Seriously?

There are still some guys that won't get it, those are the guys that NEED help.
    If you get them help and they still don't get it, then cut them, ban them do what you want, waterboard them if that is what you are into.

Was McKinnie helped by the NFL or the Vikings after any of these previous incidents?
    Fining someone is not help, suspension is not help.
    Those are punishments. This is a League problem.

I will agree that McKinnie is getting near the Pacman territory. (I doubt if Pacman was helped either, but I have seen interviews with him, and his demeanor is one that he won't accept help.)
    Punishment is not what McKinnie needs, he will get it though, he needs some help most of all.

If you are going to say he should know better, tell that to someone that is driving drunk.
    Yes, people have a difficult time seeing consequences of their actions at times.

He was obviously drunk when he got into all these situation, maybe not the convenience store, maybe not the water incident, but definitely the stripper and the night club.
    Alcohol impairs ones judgment, McKinnie seems like a good kid, he needs some HELP!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

being drunk shouldn't be an excuse for doing stupid things.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

I beg to differ...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I didn't say it is an excuse.
    I said it is an indicator that points to a problem.
    You can give up on the guy or correct the problem.
    If he doesn't want the help, get rid of him.

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

Lifetime ban? You guys are joking me, this whole culture of accountability thing is getting out of hand. Every time a guy messes up now, EVERYBODY, jumps on him. People mess up sometimes in life, get over it. I'm sure we have all done things that, if we were football players would result in scandal. Don't give me this "well I'm not a football player/role model yadda yadda yadda." People should be punished for their actions sometimes, but it should not be excessive.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast