Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Brrrr! Vikings' rookie James gets cold shoulder, and more

Posted on Thu, Dec. 08, 2005

The Duluth News Tribune;

[size=18px]Brrrr! Vikings' rookie James gets cold shoulder, and more[/size]

JON KRAWCZYNSKI
    Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Minnesota Vikings rookie defensive end Erasmus James has faced his share of hazing this season, but it may have come to a head on Thursday.

Several veterans dipped James' shirt and two pair of his jeans into cold water, then left them outside in the frigid air to freeze solid.

Depending on who was asked, James was either being taught a lesson for parking too close to the building and taking up a spot normally reserved for veteran players, as Pat Williams said, or for having a messy locker, as Bryant McKinnie said.

"I told him to move his truck, he didn't move it!" Williams shouted in between belly laughs in the Vikings locker room.

To make matters worse, an ESPN crew was in town to tape a segment on the Vikings' turnaround. The veterans, including Jermaine Wiggins, Darrion Scott and Lance Johnstone took that opportunity to razz James even further with the cameras rolling.

"He's always messing up everybody's locker with his stuff," McKinnie said.

A crowd of reporters and players gathered around James as the veterans grilled him, eliciting laughter and cat calls.

James appeared to be furious at the prank, which compounded the problems further. When a reporter tried to interview him, the crestfallen rookie batted the microphone away, and sat shaking his head and muttering under his breath while being bombarded with jokes and heckling from his teammates.

"He's going to cry when he gets home," Williams teased.

---

GOING WAY BACK: Coach Mike Tice will be facing an old friend when the St. Louis Rams come to town on Sunday.

Joe Vitt is filling in for Rams coach Mike Martz while he recovers from endocarditis, a bacterial infection of the lining of the heart. Vitt was the strength coach in Seattle when Tice was a tight end with the Seahawks.

"We were together for 10 years," Vitt said. "He was really a smart player. He's got a great background and he's really a bright guy, which I don't think too many people know. He's meticulous with his work habits."

The Seahawks' players voted Tice the winner of the team's Ed Block Courage Award in 1986, given annually to a player on the team who shows courage and overcomes adversity on or off the field.

Upon receiving the award, Tice immediately gave it to Vitt, who was dealing with some adversity of his own in a battle with testicular cancer. The gesture resonates with Vitt to this day.

"I was going through cancer and he turned around and presented it to me," Vitt recalled. "Very touching, very nice."

---

SMOOT UPDATE: Tice said cornerback Fred Smoot continued to progress in his recovery from a broken collarbone, which has caused him to miss the last four games.

Tice and defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said Smoot would likely play in the nickel and dime packages on Sunday against the Rams to ease him back into the lineup.

"I know he wants to go in and play 70 plays, but playing 70 plays after being out five or six weeks is not the smart thing to do, so we'll ease him back in and sooner than later he'll be back in his (starting) spot," Tice said.

Smoot has been practicing with a special brace under his shoulder pads to protect the injured area.

---

OTHER BUMPS AND BRUISES: Running backs Mewelde Moore and Michael Bennett are dealing with minor injuries that aren't expected to keep them out of the game against the Rams.

Bennett sprained his ankle when he slipped on the ice outside his home and Moore bruised his right quad and had to leave practice early on Thursday.

"Michael is doing great," Tice said. "I don't think that ankle will affect him at all."

Trainer Chuck Barta said Moore's injury was minor and he was listed as probable for the game.

Defensive tackle Kevin Williams did not practice again on Thursday and is listed as doubtful while he recovers from a sprained knee suffered two weeks ago.

Linebacker Heath Farwell (knee) practiced some on Thursday and said he is still getting used to playing with a bulky brace on his left knee. He hopes to be ready to go on Sunday.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Re: Brrrr! Vikings' rookie James gets cold shoulder, and mor

When good hazing goes bad!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

sharper42 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Brrrr! Vikings' rookie James gets cold shoulder, and more

id like to see that on tape
    our only sure-handed receiver

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

That's hilarious! Its gotta be quite the experience being a rookie in the NFL.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

That's pretty funny.

On that same note. Driving home tonight we saw a clothesline FULL of jeans and shirts at about 3:15, during a lite to mid SNOWFALL. Stupid cheesedicks!! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Brrrr! Vikings' rookie James gets cold shoulder, and mor

I'd be TICKED OFF if someone did that to me. Ya know, it is possible to do too much too often...
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Hey that's my boy they're messing with, now he's so mad he'll snap a QB in half this weekend :cussing:

after I wipe his tears

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Hopefully he imagines Fitzpatrick(rookie Rams QB) as being the guy pulling the pranks on him, kinda like Phat Pat see the Linemen and the QB as the guys that use to tease him about his studder.

Play mean Eraser James.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

lol i hope he doesnt take it too bad and ends up hating the team, that would suck. but i also hope he translates his anger onto the field and try to prove a point lol.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

That would be dumb if he gets that upset and hates the team. It's just hazing, he'll get to give it right back to the rooks next year!

Congrats on the 4 g's by the way magicci!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast