Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Brooks Bollinger joins the Vikes (Merged Threads)

"CCthebest" wrote:
    I really would have rather seen JT or TJ as the backup.
    JT? Are you serious? He is not accurate & has not been worthy enough to remain on the practice squad for at least 2 other teams.

Anyways, he's been cut & good ridance.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Posted on Sun, Sep. 03, 2006

[size=13pt]RYAN BAKKEN COLUMN: Vikings get a great guy -- and from GF, to boot[/size]

With Brooks Bollinger joining the team, we now have another reason to cheer for the Minnesota Vikings.

That brings us up to a grand total of one reason.

It's recently been difficult rooting for the men in purple, for their inability to pull off a playoff win and their inability to pull up their zippers. Their infamous Love Boat episode last fall showed the Vikings can commit misdeeds not only by land, but also by sea.

Some people remain loyal to purple-colored uniforms no matter how many felons inhabit them. The rest of us now have an excuse to crawl aboard that bandwagon with Thursday's addition of the 1998 graduate of Grand Forks Central.

We feel good when someone with local ties makes it in professional sports. We feel better when it's someone who has been one of us for longer than just a career at UND.

We feel even better when they play for the pro team that is the local fan favorite, like the Vikings.

And we feel best when the person who meets all of those other criteria also is a great guy.

For those who don't know Bollinger, heed the words of GF Central football coach Mike Berg about the new backup quarterback acquired from the New York Jets in a trade: "I don't know anyone who would have anything negative to say about Brooks.

"In a day and age where too many headlines about pro athletes are negative, he's one you can feel good about. The people who work with him know of his character and integrity, so he can be trusted."

I can think of only two others - Dave Osborn and Kurt Knoff - who had the same number of reasons to earn a strong local emotional attachment from local fans. Both also played for the Vikings.

Osborn was a UND running back from Cando, N.D., who played during the Vikings' glory years. Knoff was a four-sport standout and a 1972 graduate of East Grand Forks who was a Vikings safety.

"What's really neat is that we'll have a chance to catch all of Brooks' games on TV," Berg said. "I finally get to join my neighbors and be a Vikings fan."

Not only is Brooks one of us, but he's stayed one of us.

Unlike Phil Jackson and others, he embraces his home community. When he returns home, he hangs out with his high school friends and with old ladies in church pews. His helmet size remains the same. He doesn't big-time anyone.

When Brooks returns to share his time and autograph, he isn't being paid by a corporation to do so. Donations to local causes come out of his own pocket.

"We're thirsting to have an idol up here," said Mike Delohery, a family friend and avid sports fan in Grand Forks. "We want someone in the spotlight so we can say, 'Hey, we're somebody.'

"Who better than this classy kid? He won't go on any Love Boat, I'll tell you that. He'll have his ups and downs as a player, but he won't embarrass you."

Father Rob Bollinger, who moved to Bemidji this year after a long affiliation with UND as a football coach and fund-raiser, said Brooks is pleased about the trade.

Professionally, it's a great opportunity to go from uncertainty in New York to the No. 2 spot on the depth chart. Minnesota Coach Brad Childress and some of his assistants were coaches at Wisconsin when Bollinger played for the Badgers. So, he's familiar with the offense and the coaches. The contract extension makes him eligible for an NFL pension.

"It probably couldn't be a better fit, for those reasons and also regarding family and friends," Rob said. "Brooks' wife Natalie is from a big, close-knit family who all live in the Twin Cities. That makes it even more special because of the addition of (4-month-old son) Miles to the family. This makes it more of a home atmosphere for everyone."

A Vikings player with family values? Stop the presses.

So, Rob is a four-hour trip from seeing his grandson and his son play in the NFL. That's in sharp contrast to the expense and time required traveling to New York City.

"I've have to go buy something purple," Rob said. "But I'm not ready to wear those blond braids yet."

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

it is for sure a better story then ether jt and mmc..

i'm really hopin he doesn't have to play a lot, but the time that we need him he PLAYS

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Vikings | Team signs Bollinger to extension
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:07:13 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings signed QB Brooks Bollinger to a two-year contract extension beyond the 2006 season Monday, Sept. 4. Bollinger was set to become a free agent at the end of the season.

Great Working on getting a quick deal done, so we got that out of the picture..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

"skum" wrote:
    Vikings | Team signs Bollinger to extension
    Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:07:13 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings signed QB Brooks Bollinger to a two-year contract extension beyond the 2006 season Monday, Sept. 4. Bollinger was set to become a free agent at the end of the season.

Great Working on getting a quick deal done, so we got that out of the picture..
    I wonder why they signed him to an extension so soon?

Are they seeing something in practice that we aren't?

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

CJ Mosely for Brooks Bollinger?

What on God's green earth are they doing?

I am even from ND, and I think Bollinger is a horrible QB. But thats not what has me so upset.

CJ Mosely played in a couple games last year in place of Kevin and HE TORE IT UP!

He seemed to be in every play and always gave it 110% in his rookie season!

I mean yeah we need a backup QB (kind of, anyways) but come on.....

We don't even have much depth at DT if Pat or Kevin go down.

I guess I don't see why we traded a guy with tons of potential for a guy who we have all seen do nothing.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

I'm guessing you won't like this one then...

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/655349.html
    -Sno

Prophet Guest

This was discussed in this thread:

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&topic=26629.0

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    I'm guessing you won't like this one then...

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/655349.html
    Yeah I seen that in the paper.

Don't get me wrong, its not that I hate the guy or anything, I just don't see why we gave them Mosely for him. I just thought Mosely had too much potential to let go for someone who hasn't done anything with his playing time yet.

And my bad Prophet, haven't been here for a while.

boognish is offline Coordinator

I don't agree with you, baumy. We have significant depth in the DL, but our backup QB situation was terrible. Bollinger is a solid backup QB, with experience as a starter in the NFL. This move wouldn't have been necessary if McMoron had showed even a bit of upside, but the reality is that he was terrible all through camp and the preseason.

Something had to be done about our QB situation and Mosley had been having a rough camp and was struggling to even make the roster this season. I say, good move by the front office.
    I am a dipshit!!!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast