little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

Brock Lesnar back on the radar

There is an article in one of the papers today about Brock being back on the radar. Because we released Wiley to make room for Onterrio Smith returning Tice said they would probably be signing Brock to the practice squad. Not sure how that all works but just thought I would report what I read...

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

I think he might be an impact player some day.
    He seems like he's very motivated.
    Thanks for the update
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Do you have a link or a snippet you can post L'il Red?

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Here is the article you asked for.

Lesnar back on Vikings' radar

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

With the release of defensive end Chuck Wiley on Tuesday, the Vikings might be adding former WWE champion Brock Lesnar to their practice squad in the coming month, coach Mike Tice said.

Lesnar, who won an NCAA wrestling title as a Gophers senior in 2000, was signed as a free agent before training camp despite not having played football since high school. He worked as a defensive tackle and had one tackle in an exhibition game before being released.

The Vikings have only eight defensive linemen on the roster, and Tice would like to add a player to keep the unit fresh.

The only potential snag on the timing of Lesnar rejoining the team is injuries at other positions.

Enough commentary: Days after the Vikings' loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 20, coach Mike Tice lamented his first "Monday Night Football" experience since the 2001 season finale.

Tice was angry about a feature the ABC crew did on him after he provided extensive access, and he was upset by criticism from legendary color commentator and former Oakland Raiders coach John Madden.

"The next time I have to deal with them," he said at the time, "I will be professional, and I'll be short."

Informed of Tice's comments, Madden defended himself and applauded the Vikings coach.

Asked about his remark that the Vikings were not throwing enough deep balls to receiver Randy Moss, Madden said, "I just think sometimes you just throw it up there. If you haven't done it yet, then you have to do it now. That's first-guessing."

But Madden complimented Tice for thriving in one of the NFL's most difficult situations.

"There's not a lot of tougher coaching jobs than the one Mike Tice has — when the team is talking about moving, and the owner is talking about selling and (Tice) doesn't have a long-term contract," Madden said. "He's got a tough situation up there, and he's handled it real well."

Asked if Tice has the toughest situation, Madden quickly said: "No, because he's got some good players. It comes down to players."

As he prepares for his second Monday night game of the season, against the Indianapolis Colts, Tice said he has moved on, and he no longer has issues with Madden or his crew.

"I have the utmost respect for him," Tice said. "I just think at times announcers don't know what you're trying to accomplish. Why is all the commentary of a negative tone?"

Briefly: Receiver Ryan Hoag cleared waivers and was re-signed to the practice squad. Receiver Ben Nelson took Hoag's spot on the active roster.

• Cornerback Derek Ross, who was re-signed to the team Oct. 13, has been promoted to fourth cornerback. That spot will be important Monday against the Colts.

• More than 32 Vikings players attended the team's Taste of the NFL celebrity dinner Wednesday night. More than 16 local restaurants provided food, with proceeds helping to support hunger relief efforts in the state.

• Monday night's game will be the 300th for ABC announcer Al Michaels.

• Vikings center Matt Birk will have a microphone on during the game, and former governor Jesse Ventura will do the broadcast tease.

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

A NEW CHANCE FOR BROCK LESNAR IN THE NFL?
    by Mike Johnson @ 2:30:00 AM on 11/4/2004

CBS Sportline is reporting that Brock Lesnar may not be done with the Minnesota Vikings after all. Vikings Coach Mike Tice is quoted by the website as saying that Lesnar may be added back onto the team's practice squad after the release of defensive end Chuck Wiley.

Lesnar walked out of World Wrestling Entertainment after Wrestlemania XX seeking to make a name for himself in the NFL. Despite initial assumptions that he was doing it as a publicity ploy, The Vikings signed Lesnar after seeing his raw athletic ability. Lesnar was released from the team several weeks back, but not before they had commissioned his jersey for sale in the team's online store.

The former WWE champion had continued to train after being released, hoping to be picked up by another team. Now, he may end up back exactly where his original goal was - the Minnesota Vikings.
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Admit it little you are in love with the man. lol
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Are you kidding me... not! If I were interested in that type of guy I would pick Hovan over him. I think he could play ball somewhere down the line for us though... So just like to keep on top of the situation....

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Lesnar is a very interesting prospect...he has the raw talent, it is just a matter of who has the patience to develop him. He seems to really want to play for the Vikings, so if there is some way to stash him for the rest of the season and then send him to NFL Europe for a year, then that might be the way to go. Remember, the Panthers' Jake Delhomme (a fellow Cajun) was able to use NFL Europe to take his game to the next level...why not Lesnar. I, for one, am rooting for him to succeed (and I am definitely not a wrestling fan)!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE