Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Bring in the " Closer QB "

First off, this idea is all based on the fact of Brett Favre actually signing with us and being our starter.

Yesterday, my head got to thinking, and thats a very dangerous thing sometimes....

I got to thinking, why do we hardly ever see a back-up QB come into a game that is already a sure W in the fourth quarter, and close it out for the team, like in MLB.
    What I'm saying is, lets say the Vikings are up on the Bears,
    28 to 7 and we are going into the 4th Q.
    Wouldn't this be a great time to toss in a TJ or Sage and let them get some playing time with starters and see how they do?
    I'm not talking about putting them in at the last minute and having them just hand off the ball to RB's either.
    The whole 4th Q, and keep the O Playbook wide open.

Not only would this give the backups some quality playing time but with Favre in the mix, this would lighteen his load as a starter, and help keep him healthy, un-hurt, and arm fresher for the next game.

I've always wondered why teams don't do this more often.
    The game of baseball depends on getting your starter a lead and letting him off the hook in those later innings of play, unless he pitching for a perfect game or no hitter.

Just a thought that I think would be a great addition for our teams play and how we approach games with an older, but very good, QB like Favre.

Opinions please.......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Bring in the " Closer QB "

"NordicNed" wrote:

First off, this idea is all based on the fact of Brett Favre actually signing with us and being our starter.

Yesterday, my head got to thinking, and thats a very dangerous thing sometimes....

I got to thinking, why do we hardly ever see a back-up QB come into a game that is already a sure W in the fourth quarter, and close it out for the team, like in MLB.

Wouldn't this be a great time to toss in a TJ or Sage and let them get some playing time with starters and see how they do?
    I'm not talking about putting them in at the last minute and having them just hand off the ball to RB's either.

Not only would this give the backups some quality playing time but with Favre in the mix, this would lighteen his load as a starter, and help keep him healthy, un-hurt, and arm fresher for the next game.

The game of baseball depends on getting your starter a lead and letting him off the hook in those later innings of play, unless he pitching for a perfect game or no hitter.

Just a thought that I think would be a great addition for our teams play and how we approach games with an older, but very good, QB like Favre.

Opinions please.......
    good idea in theory, but if Sage or TJ were to go in and throw away the game, all hell would break loose.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:

Opinions please.......
    good idea in theory, but if Sage or TJ were to go in and throw away the game, all hell would break loose.
    Not just a theory IBP, but why not make it a part of our gameplan, just in certain conditions though.....With our D,
    I don't see many, if any, 21 plus point comebacks happening against us.
    Not saying it could never happen, hell, the starter himself could have a super bad 4th quarter and blow the game, ALA Rosenchopper
    LOL

But I've always been very suprised that NFL Teams don't do it, or even seem to consider it ever.

One thing I'de like to hear is, what would BF, TJ, SR & Booty, have to say about such an idea?
    Or the coaches for that matter?

Blog Entries

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:

Opinions please.......
    Not just a theory IBP, but why not make it a part of our gameplan, just in certain conditions though.....With our D,
    Not saying it could never happen, hell, the starter himself could have a super bad 4th quarter and blow the game, ALA Rosenchopper
    LOL

But I've always been very suprised that NFL Teams don't do it, or even seem to consider it ever.

One thing I'de like to hear is, what would BF, TJ, SR & Booty, have to say about such an idea?
    Weren't the Cards doing that for a bit with Warner and Lienart?
    They were being switched in fairly frequently if I remember correctly a few years ago.

I'd be interested to see how the QB by comittee approach would actually work. I think though, QB more than any other position is really momentum based for success.
    If you start off hot, odds are you'll continue to play well, if you struggle in the beginning, its harder to get going well again.
    I don't know how much subbing the QB woudl kill that momentum.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "NordicNed" wrote:

Opinions please.......
    LOL

Weren't the Cards doing that for a bit with Warner and Lienart?
    They were being switched in fairly frequently if I remember correctly a few years ago.

I'd be interested to see how the QB by comittee approach would actually work. I think though, QB more than any other position is really momentum based for success.
    If you start off hot, odds are you'll continue to play well, if you struggle in the beginning, its harder to get going well again.
    I don't know how much subbing the QB woudl kill that momentum.
    What I'm proposing wouldn't have much to do with momentum at that point of the game.
    I believe in momentum also, but with a 28-7 lead, going into the 4th Qrt, the momentum would have already done it's job at that time, and the scoreboard showing that.
    I think it would be a perfect time to reel in Brett and let TJ or Sage, handle the clean up. Many think that TJ or Sage can lead this team now, so going into a game in the 4th with a 21 point lead, shouldn't be to hard to close that one out.
    Brett would get a great chance to help teach from the sidelines and to keep that arm a fresh as possible.
    Our coaches would have some quality evalution time, watching the back-up, whomever that may turn out to be.
    As for the Warner/Lienart situation.
    I didn't follow it that closely, but wasn't there QB by committee play, more to do with poor individual play and trying to get one of them to break out?
    For some reason I think I remember it being more about poor play, they both where under performing at the time, with Warner eventually being the one to break out of the poor play rut, and stepping up his play....

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

I mentioned such a idea a while back as part of how the Vikes can keep Favre healthy and rested for the playoffs.

The Favre haters came up with reasons why it wouldn't work.

They think it won't work because of timing issues with WR's, exchange between center and QB, expectations from OL for protection, exchange between QB and RB, and other nuances.

Which I think could be mitigated by giving TJ/Sage more snaps with the 1st string during practice, once confident that Favre and the offense are in sync.
    Thus, saving Favre's arm in practice too.

But what I found more compelling was the potential off the field issues:
    If TJ/Sage perform badly, it hurts their confidence and there will be lots of questions about what Chilly was thinking

If TJ/Sage perform GREAT.
    What happens the following week if Favre struggles early, do you pull him?
    The crowd may start asking for it.
    The media will jump on it.
    etc.
    Instant QB controversy.

So I gave up the idea and decided that it would be best to just do more running to burn the clock... using CT to save AD.
    Give some of the younger players at WR more time, etc.
    Only letting TJ/Sage in during the later part of the 4th, where you also start subing OL too.
    Thus, I hate to say it, but it would make it harder for TJ/Sage to succeed, but also wouldn't put the game at that much risk either.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Many NFL contracts have escallators - or performance enhancers - built into them.
    An example might be that Player X gets a $250,000 bonus if he throws more than 25 TDs in a given season.

If the coach pulls player X out of a blow out game - a situation in which player X might move closer to his goal - prior to the achievement of that goal, the Player is likely to be fairly ticked.
    I know I would be if I was yanked in a blow out and wound up missing a quarter of a million bucks by 1 TD pass, or 10 yards on the ground, or some such silliness.

Further, some players might be closing in on a contract year and want to enhance their stats in order to pull in big money.
    No one remembers WHY you didn't catch 95 passes last season, they just remember that you didn't.
    Therefore, no big contract...or one that you might believe would have been bigger had you been "allowed" to play.

While football is a "team" sport, the millions of dollars at stake Individually make it very difficult for coaches to hot-swap players.
    The exceptions being injury and the "saving you for the play-offs" excuse in the last 2 weeks.

Caine

Blog Entries

"Caine" wrote:
    Many NFL contracts have escallators - or performance enhancers - built into them.
    An example might be that Player X gets a $250,000 bonus if he throws more than 25 TDs in a given season.

If the coach pulls player X out of a blow out game - a situation in which player X might move closer to his goal - prior to the achievement of that goal, the Player is likely to be fairly ticked.
    I know I would be if I was yanked in a blow out and wound up missing a quarter of a million bucks by 1 TD pass, or 10 yards on the ground, or some such silliness.

Further, some players might be closing in on a contract year and want to enhance their stats in order to pull in big money.
    No one remembers WHY you didn't catch 95 passes last season, they just remember that you didn't.
    Therefore, no big contract...or one that you might believe would have been bigger had you been "allowed" to play.

While football is a "team" sport, the millions of dollars at stake Individually make it very difficult for coaches to hot-swap players.
    The exceptions being injury and the "saving you for the play-offs" excuse in the last 2 weeks.

Caine
    you and gagarr raise some valid points.
    There's the contract end of things, but I think more importantly is the swap on the C/WR end.

Too often you se dropped snaps by a QB that hasn't worked with a C very much.
    The WR/QB chemistry could be off.
    It would be interesting to see though if it could work.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"Caine" wrote:

Caine
    Other exceptions are D linemen to keep them fresh and what situation (pass/run) and on some teams the RB by committee.

As for the Warner/Lienart swapping mentioned above, I think Warner was brought in to run 2 minute offense only, and that was only for a couple games, before they benched Lienart.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

"Caine" wrote:

Caine
    Silly me, leave it to Caine to set me straight...LOL

Caine,
    honeslty, I never took into consideration the fact that many contracts are laidened with incentives on performance and goals met, both individual and sometimes as a whole teams outcome.
    I can easily agree, this could open a big can of worms.
    Well, it was just a thought.

Come to think of it,
    wasn't it Denvers RB " Davis " back a few years gone by now, where he needed like 2 more yards of rushing or was it that the ball was on like the 2 yard line, and the coach didn't put him into the fold for the last 2 or 3 plays, because if he rushed for 2 more yards or made the TD rush, he would have made like an extra $250,000 ?
    Or something to that fact.....I remember the player was really pissed, and I was pissed for him also.
    He got burnt by his coach and managment for sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast