Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Bring back Tice!

"mr.woo" wrote:
    i agree we should bring him back.....as a tackling dummy!
    or put him in the ticket office, he knows how to sell tickets.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I think that Childress is making a mistake by trying to be Andy Ried.
    He brought in Bevel becasue he's familiar with him from his UW days, but also because he knew that Bevel wouldn't buck him on play calling.
    That was a pure EGO call...and a bad one.
    I agree taht Brad either needs to let Bevel earn his check by calling plays, or recognize taht Bevel isn't teh guy for that and bring in a STRONG OC.
    Much like Zygi needs to bring in a REAL GM and quit playing this "Rule By Committee" crap.

As for the line, lead, follow, or get out of the way.
    McKinnie has shown flashes for years, but never actually produced consistantly.
    Birk has been the locker room leader, but has been out for awhile and isn't playing smart.
    Hutch is new.
    So, who should lead?
    Whomever has the cajones to do it, that's who.
    That left side, which was supposed to blow up opposing D-Lines, hasn't opened up SQUAT this year.
    Even on sweeps, they get smeared.
    I expect a lot more for that kind of money.
    Sure, maybe it's just newness.
    Maybe after awhile, they'll all settle in and start clicking.
    But right now, we're hurting.

Chester Taylor isn't looking like a League Killer, and part of that starts on the O-Line.
    Taylor is currently 8th in the NFL, but Frank Gore (ranked 6th) doesn't have that high priced line Chester does.
    Neither does Steven Jackson (STL, #2) or Willis McGahee (BUF, #1).
    The problem is, while we HAVE it, we don't have it.
    That line, plain and simple, isn't living up to expectations...yet.

Let's hope they start to...soon.

Caine

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

i am still not too pumped to say that bringing tice back is a good idea.

i'd rather see some detailed coaches, and IQ's higher then jersey numbers.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:
    Dont' panic, I'm not talking about as HC.
    There is no doubt in my mind that our O-line has talent on it.
    They have talent and depth and appear to be having problems.
    Mike Tice was a good O-line coach.
    The problem is in the coaching of the o-line, not in the o-line itself.
    I knew it would just be a matter of time before you missed the big lug.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The O-line is a problem and has been since day 1. I also only give them so much slack due to not being together and needing time to get into sync. Just about every team has had some kind of turnover in their players and coaching staff. The coaches are hired and paid to get their players to do a job correctly and the players are paid to execute the offensive plan. Either the talent or the coaching are not what they need to be at this point and they need to address it asap if they want more wins than losses.

If we play GB and the Lions like we played Buffalo we will not win all of those 4 games.

Del Rio Guest

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    The O-line is a problem and has been since day 1. I also only give them so much slack due to not being together and needing time to get into sync. Just about every team has had some kind of turnover in their players and coaching staff. The coaches are hired and paid to get their players to do a job correctly and the players are paid to execute the offensive plan. Either the talent or the coaching are not what they need to be at this point and they need to address it asap if they want more wins than losses.

If we play GB and the Lions like we played Buffalo we will not win all of those 4 games.
    What are the records of the teams that have new coaches?

Top_Speed is offline Starter

I gotta give the staff more time than this. The boat is still floating and it's WAY too early to pull any plugs.

The post about Tice selling tix was funny however!
    Home Sweet Dome...

Del Rio Guest

It is quite a significant change to bring in a new coaching staff. Lets take a peek at how some of the other teams are doing.

Rams: 3-1
    Saints: 3-1
    Bills: 2-2
    Vikings: 2-2
    Chiefs: 1-2
    Packers: 1-2
    Texans: 1-2
    Raiders: 0-3
    Lions: 0-4

I'll take it. Anyone who expects Childress to come in his first year and take us to the SB is drinking some mighty powerful kool-aid.

Big C is offline Coordinator

The biggest difference I see is that Childress has brought some consistency. Both games we lost came down to the last minute. This is a sport and someone has to lose. The fact that the team was in a position to win both games says a lot. Under Tice we didn't have too many close losses. We simply got blown out when we lost.

I personally feel that we need to give Memo a few more touches per game. He is an elusive back who can find the occasional hole and make a player or two miss. He picked up yards last year with an offensive line that wouldn't make much room.

Don't get me wrong. Chestor Taylor is doing an awesome job carrying the load and is the starting RB. No question about it. I just feel that we need to throw Memo in to the mix and occasionally shake things up. Taylor is a one-cut-and-go guy. Memo is a shake-and-bake guy. We're wasting Memo's talent by tagging him as the punt returner with absolutely no blocking, and the 3rd down RB whose number gets called on third and long.

Jus my $0.02.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

ok two thoughts i have,

O line leader = Matt Birk. hes home grown Viking front office Rube. maybe he feels he has a hard time leading someone like Hutch and Mckinnie (or they dont take to his leadership as well) because of the 100 million those two are sharing. yes Birk has penalties, but i cant help think its because of the right side Noobs and the Left side millionaires. i believe he'l come around. if not, i wonder if bringing in a coach who knows the zone blocking denver uses. denver ALWAYS (not lately i must admit) had a running game with this scheme.

Childress is going through some growing pains right now. and to be honost everyone here on the board and their mothers would call for his head if it were Tice allowing all these penalties. Tice wasnt all bad, he just was never given a chance with what, 25%of the coaching staff that childress has now? i agree he probably should have been a coordinator first, that would have helped him be a better head coach. plus, dangit, i miss saying "our coach can beat up your coach!"
    Childress, i just dont know yet, even in the wins there were some things i didnt like about the offensive calls. iv said it before, what part of the WCO are we using? sure looks like your old fashion offense to me. i see no slants, hardly any screens, very little short passes. run run pass, run run pass, and 3rd and short goes for a 20yd bomb. if thats the consistancy everyone wants, its not going to take long before everyone catches on and we start getting blown out every game. the defense is the only reason why we havent been blown out yet. and that defense needed a year to gel. am i saying tice might have gone 2-2 also? maybe, i think he could have had he had the chance to hire tomlin and 5-6 offensive coaches.

yep those are my thoughts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123