Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Brian Williams Unlikely to Return

I don't want to lose Williams. That would suck!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Anyone remember last year? NFC Divisional playoff game? BWill got burned by eagels 3rd string WR, Greg Lewis. For what a 50+ yard play. It happened alot. He's a good all around corner but he's prone to get burned.

Smoot has trouble tackling but his coverage is very good, As someone stated against any top WR with speed it's better to have over the top help by a saftey.

He made a heck of a Nickel and Dime back because he was versatile you could send him on a blitz and he got there more than none. and he matched up well VS a # 3-4 WR.

Him as a #1 corner...I don't think he'll last 2 games. No disrespect to the man. Just my opinion.

PurpleElf Guest

No offense Del, but have the Vikes ever made a move that you liked. All I ever see you post is how bad the FO decisions. Kinda of a Doom and Gloom attitude if ya ask me (which I know noone did). Just curious, not trying to stir the pot here.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Bwill is spurty.

The new word for someone who has a good game, then gets burned....too streaky.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

That is why BWill as a safety to replace Chavous is the obvious solution.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    That is why BWill as a safety to replace Chavous is the obvious solution.
    Nice Post.

modena11 is offline Rookie

there have been alot of quality replies and id love to reply to most of them but im way too lazy.

my opinion on the matter is simple. i dont want brian to go. but it's obvious that he doesn't wanna play nickey and all the power to him. for a player of his quality he shouldnt have too.

imo he played terrible the last couple of years in one of the worst secondary's in the league. as a corner in a bad defence, you are set up to fail. so i dont place all the blame on him(except for when he couldnt cover a TE in zone coverage vs the packers last year, i think at lambeau)

just like how i feel bad for smoot. the first 7 games of the year we played like the vikings defence of old. swiss cheese best described our play. as a player in the secondary, you are set up to fail. especially in cottrells system of soft zone.

all of a sudden there was an epiphany in viking country on the defence. they become a cohesive unit that become dominating. enter brian williams due to smoot's injury. no doubt brian is a talented CB and he proved that beautifully in our second half of the year defence. when you play around talent it brings up your level to its full potential. thats why it pains me to see him go now after all the hard work he has put in for the last 3 years.

but we all cant just beat up on smoot and make this a smoot vs williams argument. actually smoot played ok in the first half minus the steve smith catastrophy(really now, i hate when people say that cause NO ONE CAN COVER STEVE SMITH, SOME DOUBLE TEAMS TOO). this year, if we can keep up this stellar defensive play, smoot will become the corner we paid for and more(ex. how he played opposite champ in a good skins D). for all the members who want there moneys worth out of smoot, we still have 6 years left. im actually scared if we lose cottrell we will regress in terms of defensive progress but that's a whole another thread.

this really sucks cause in the NFL, you can never have too many good corners. they really are a dime a dozen.

so i wish brian all the best and hopes he cashes in nicely, he deserves it.

Del Rio Guest

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Del, I knew this was going to be an emotional (involved or heated what ever word is appropriate) topic for you. You were sticking up for B-Wil when there weren't many supporters here last year. You probably could have done some I told you so post too about Smoot vs B-Will.

He proved himself worthy of being a starter and has turned many heads his direction that were not there last offseason. New coaches might notice this and with the balancing of Powers that Wilf wants, maybe they can convince him to stay with some kind words and some cash. That is one reason Tice was let go, to give the players a fresh start.
    Snow,

There is no I told you so's with Smoot supporters because his shit doesn't stink and if he does get burned it's the coaches and the other ten guys fault not his.

All in all he has always been a starter. He just earned himself a fat paycheck that the Vikings should have cut him last year only now it will be with another team.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567