Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Brian Willaims?????

I tried arguing this couple days ago, defending sharper....and puttin the blame on brian williams. I dont think we should cut the guy tho, dept is needed...and hes better then some corners out there. Chavous and Sharper to me are playin some d@mn good football.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Del Rio Guest

I'll save the debate until they play some games that count. Entire games.

I will say that Winfield has really never been THAT great at pass defense, he makes his money being a sure tackler and a physical defender. He came here and he didn't have to do much to get hailed as the saving grace. Mostly because our secondary was weak.

I hear Smoot is a very good pass defender. I don't think Winfield was ever touted as being one of the best in strictly pass defense but he is a very good tackler something that is almost valued just as much as a deion sander type of shutdown corner.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

I don't get where your loyalty to brian williams comes from del? First you try and tell me that he is as good as smoot, because their stats are somewhat comparable and now after he has his 3rd downright horrible game in a row, somehow you just don't seem bothered by it? Well the coaches are and I hear they might be moving Ralph Brown up to nickel back and demoting williams to dime back very soon. They thought about doing it last week and I am sure williams bad play in the last game couldn't have helped him out much.

Ralph Brown has played much better then williams and deserves the shot at nickel back. He has yet to make the mental mistakes that williams seems to make on almost every drive. It's not all about physical tools, or brian williams would be the choice easily, but he just seems to lack the mental part.

Like I have said before, I don't care what his stats are or that it is only preseason, I just don't think, or have never thought, brian williams was a good CB. And each game he plays, he seems to prove that to me even more.

And Williams isn't playing any different then he was last season, so far in preseason. I have said the same thing to people about michael bennett, who like to say it's only preseason. It's not only preseason, if they are continuing to play as bad as they were the previous regular season.

Ralph Brown deserves a shot at nickel back and if williams gets pissed and wants to be cut, then so be it and let kenny irvin play dime back.

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    I don't get where your loyalty to brian williams comes from del? First you try and tell me that he is as good as smoot, because their stats are somewhat comparable and now after he has his 3rd downright horrible game in a row, somehow you just don't seem bothered by it? Well the coaches are and I hear they might be moving Ralph Brown up to nickel back and demoting williams to dime back very soon. They thought about doing it last week and I am sure williams bad play in the last game couldn't have helped him out much.

Ralph Brown has played much better then williams and deserves the shot at nickel back. He has yet to make the mental mistakes that williams seems to make on almost every drive. It's not all about physical tools, or brian williams would be the choice easily, but he just seems to lack the mental part.

Like I have said before, I don't care what his stats are or that it is only preseason, I just don't think, or have never thought, brian williams was a good CB. And each game he plays, he seems to prove that to me even more.

And Williams isn't playing any different then he was last season, so far in preseason. I have said the same thing to people about michael bennett, who like to say it's only preseason. It's not only preseason, if they are continuing to play as bad as they were the previous regular season.

Ralph Brown deserves a shot at nickel back and if williams gets pissed and wants to be cut, then so be it and let kenny irvin play dime back.
    **cough**cough** Galishaw **cough** :smile:

Del Rio Guest

Like I said if they are worried about I guess you will see Ralph Brown in there. It's not something worth losing sleep over. I personally don't think Ralph Brown doing OK in a few pre-season games is enough for me. I'm not making the decisions so that is why I said earlier if the people who know what the hell is going on move him to dime, then I guess I have my answer.

Even if they move him to Dime he will still play plenty considering the cushy D we run. As long as he is on the field causing his two fumbles a year and making the big plays he can I could care less. If Ralph Brown does play and start the season I bet he is replaced by week 3.

Del Rio Guest

If Williams get's cut he won't be waiting long for a roster spot, he may even get to play on a defense that actually tries to put their DB's in position to succeed.

Hell just watching the tape of the first series by the chargers you can see the guy is getting blamed for poor D all around.

10yd pass on Winfield
    17yd run by M. Turner
    16yd pass on Smoot
    26yd pass on Winfield

lol :grin:

If you are going to continually play safties and make them useless by trying zone then you might as well not have them. You got Fat Pat he is supposed to be the cure all for the run D so why not have your safties help on passing plays?

"Del Rio" wrote:
    If Williams get's cut he won't be waiting long for a roster spot, he may even get to play on a defense that actually tries to put their DB's in position to succeed.

Hell just watching the tape of the first series by the chargers you can see the guy is getting blamed for poor D all around.

10yd pass on Winfield
    17yd run by M. Turner
    16yd pass on Smoot
    26yd pass on Winfield

lol :grin:

If you are going to continually play safties and make them useless by trying zone then you might as well not have them. You got Fat Pat he is supposed to be the cure all for the run D so why not have your safties help on passing plays?

I don't see williams being blamed for the whole D struggling. He is being blamed for playing very poorly after whining about being demoted this off-season and skipping Mini camp like it wasn't important. Wonder if he thinks mini camp is important now, after he has made mental mistake after mental mistake?

There is one difference in your lists of plays given up by other players and brian williams' bad plays. Williams give up TD's, and the other guys didn't. Williams is always behind the guys he is covering, whereas smoot, and winfield(with the exception of the one against the jets where he was burned bad andlucky they didn't complete it) are always in front of their guys so they can at the very least make the tackle as soon as they catch the ball.

Also comparing winfield to williams this preseason is wrong. Williams is getting crap because he is playing badly in preseason, but also because he played bad last season too, forcing us to spend a ton of money on a starter that deserves to start. If chavous was messing up this preseason, you know people would be all over him right now too, because he is coming off a down year as well. BUT, winfield has played at argueably a pro bowl level for years now, so of course we don't think much of him giving up a few pass plays in preseason, same for smoot(who was absolutely all over mccardell on that one pass), because they are proven.

Winfield and smoot aren't fghting for their job and weren't just demoted. You can tell a lot from a player by seeing how he responds to being demoted. EJ hasn't complained one bit all off-season and has absolutely worked his butt off and in return it has paid off with the starting WLB spot that he has absolutely earned. Williams on the other hands b*tches and moans about losing his job, skips mini camp, and comes into preseason essentialy fighting for his job and has stunk it up in 3 straight games. That tells me a lot about brian williams.

I agree that our safeties haven't been used right, but lets not use that to overlook that williams isn't doing his job. His job is to shut down his receiver, it is the safeties job 2nd to help him out if he can't. It seems williams can't on every play and it is unrealistic to expect the safeties to help our nickel CB on every play.

Del Rio Guest

Well giving up over 100 yards that fast is an idicator of poor defense all around. Even your all star people you love, 26 yards is 26 yards weather it is Smoot or Williams.

The fact that Williams has been th eguy getting beat for the TD doesn't mean much to me since the other guys got their assess handed to them the whole way down the field to get in that position.

If he sucks as bad as you are claiming then he will be replaced plain as that. Coaches will make the call.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

ID take Williams over Brown anyday.. There is no competition I don't think.. Brown has been taking on some scrubs and is doing alright.. Not doing anything special.. Wiliams will be fine everyone! He won't be out there all the time anyway so im not too concerned about it

"smootpepper" wrote:
    **cough**cough** Galishaw **cough** :smile:

Sorry, although galishaw has had a fine preseason and looked very good, he is too young to be counted on in the regular season. I think we would be better off with kenny irvin at dime back for at least the beginning of the year. Once we get into the regular season, the mental part of the game would just overwhelm galishaw and I don't think we could count on him. Sure, if he showed he could do it in the regular season, against better players, and not make the mental mistakes when we aren't calling vanilla D plays, then he could be put in there. But we have a good safety valve at CB in kenny irvin, who I would feel very comfortable with playing dime back if needed, over some more young guys, who will probably be making mental mistakes all over the place.

I do like Galishaw though, but think he needs a year of seasoning before he can truely be counted on in the regular season.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast