Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: brian russell

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

brian russell

I dissagree as well, the kid is the best thing we have had back there since Browner, LET HIM PLAY!!!! :salute:
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

brian russell

Just a funny memory you guys remember the int. that bounced off on of the cb's heads and i think(correct me if i'm wrong) Russel came up with the int. right before half time against the 49's (i think) and lateralled it back to the guy it bouced off of that was a funny play....LOL

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

brian russell

First off all, russell has absolutely no trade value at all. Why would anyone give us a decent player or a decent draft pick, when we just got done giving him a one year contract for the minimum? Second, why would we want to get rid of russell and start carter, who is much much worse?

Like everyone said, it is a safety's job to be in the right place at the right time, and get int's. If russell is lucky, then every other good FS in the league is lucky too.

I am not gona call the guy one of the better safeties in the league just yet, but if he continues to get better, he will be, in a few years. The guy has only started for one year, give the guy a chance.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

brian russell

yeah he is still learning the position he used to be a QB in college

rkuriger04 is offline Rookie

brian russell

u hafta think a good chunk or russells 87 tackles came against receivers meanin he blew coverage and allowed them to catch the ball

rkuriger04 is offline Rookie

brian russell

and need i mention hes one of the defenders who was supposed to be tight on nathan poole

brian russell

"whackthepack" wrote:
    I think we need all the help bakc there we can get so don't trade him and hope that they can push each other to new heights.
    I agree with you Whack keep him, let them push each other to new heights and see what come of it...who knows it could become and great rivalry to have going on during the season
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

brian russell

"magicci" wrote:
    Just a funny memory you guys remember the int. that bounced off on of the cb's heads and i think(correct me if i'm wrong) Russel came up with the int. right before half time against the 49's (i think) and lateralled it back to the guy it bouced off of that was a funny play....LOL
    NO it was the atlanta game, where the ball bounced off of brian williams head during the fourth quarter and russell picked it off only to lateral it back to willams setting up a field goal. I have that on a remix viking highlight.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

brian russell

"rkuriger04" wrote:
    u hafta think a good chunk or russells 87 tackles came against receivers meanin he blew coverage and allowed them to catch the ball
    Look, no one is going to call Russell a "shutdown safety". And a large part of a safety's game is covering a third receiver (TE, slot WR), or helping out with coverage on a #1 or #2 receiver.

But if Russell, or any other safety, were that adept at pass coverage skills, they would be cornerbacks, not safeties. Safeties (sp?) primarily provide run support, deep pass support, and are the last line of defense when the ballcarrier gets past the second level (linebackers). I would guess that if you look at what you consider "elite safeties", you'll see that they have a high number of tackles as well. Are you going to say that their pass coverage skills suck? And safeties are usually a bit heavier than cornerbacks, because they have a greater role in run support and covering big receivers like TEs. That usually means they will be slower than your average CB.

Paul Krause is in the Hall of Fame, having picked off more passes than any other player in NFL history. He was a free safety. Free safeties are often said to play "center field", which means that their coverage responsibilities are more limited, that they are supposed to play the ball. Krause wasn't known as a devastating tackler or even a great one-on-one cover guy. Krause's reputation was for being in the right place at the right time. I really see Russell as being a harder hitting version of Krause. By the way, Krause was also a QB in college.

As far as that Nathan Poole play, I would have liked to see someone have clocked Poole before the ball was thrown as that apparently would have been legal once McCown rolled out of the pocket. But the ball was perfectly thrown, requiring a "getting the toes down" catch for the TD. Maybe, if Russell was at fault at all on that play, it was for pushing Poole and causing the ref to make a judgement call that Poole would have gotten both feet in if not pushed. Of course, a DBs instinct is to hit the receiver to jar the ball loose, and the ref might have just as easily ruled that the receiver would not have come down in bounds. I think the ref made the right call, you have to give the benefit of the doubt to the receiver on a play that close.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

UkViking is offline Rookie

brian russell

I rate Russell and i think his game will keep improving. He is a good"reader " of the game he is a good judge of the oppositions play. :salute:
    Fly the colour Purple,and fly it high!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast