Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Russell

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

Brian Russell

I think with cap room we had, and the performace incentives russell recieved that a minimum contract is a bit offensive. I would have a least given him the base plus the incentive he got for about $500,000 and asked him for a couple of years. I agree that could bite us in the butt
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

VIKE58 is offline Pro-Bowler

Brian Russell

I have to agree with you. The Vikings should have given him more money. I hope they at least worked in some bonus money for him. We don't want to loose him. That would come back to haunt the Vikings for sure! If he has a good year this year they better come back with a damn good offer next year. Come on Red spend some more money!!!!
    GO VIKINGS GO !!!! AND THE PACK STILL BLOWS !!!!!!

Purplebleeder is offline Training Camp

Brian Russell

With Winfield being a "Shut Down" corner on the other side, Brian will gets LOTS of opportunities to show us whether or not last season was a fluke.

One thing I LOVE about Brian is that he really LOVES to hit people. Any reciever that grabs a ball in his area knows that he is around (provided he does not give them too much room - I agree he needs to improve his open field play), but if he is close, the receiver knows he is around. We have not had that kind of a hitter since...Joey Browner?
    A Viking Fan(atic)

Mossville is offline Starter

Brian Russell

It blows my mind that people want to give Russell more $$$ for his 1 good year(6 games actually) but didnt want to poney up the dough to sign Ogunele from the Phins who had 2 great season (16 games).

I think Russell deserves a bit more than what he got but still, he needs to prove ALOT this year, I mean play a whole season and not just show up the 1st half

Hawgski is offline Pro-Bowler

Brian Russell

[size=24px][/size]HELLO.....HELLO....HE GOT A 27% RAISE!!!!

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU GOT A 27% RAISE FROM YOUR EMPLOYER FOR A YEAR OF SERVICE???

[size=12px][/size]
    Yes, he had a good year. Yes, I am glad he is on our team.

He still had blown assignments and made mistakes. If he improves, then he will get the BRINKS TRUCK backed up next season.

Smart move by the front office...Good job guys!!! :thumbleft:

sig courtesy of PPE

howln4u is offline Rookie

Brian Russell

I think Russell could have gotten more but I think he was a product of being in the right place at the right time. I thought that about Leroy Butler of the Packers. If he has another good year then offer him the bigger contract but their were some veteran Safeties out there better but would have cost us even more.

I would love for us to still go after Ogunlye.

Udeze, Ogunlye, Williams and Hovan. That would make a great young front 4. Since he is thinking of sitting. Maybe offer a 2nd and 4th We have the money, sign the proven vet for a nice 4 year deal and we could be set with young talent for then next 4-5 years.

gpete13 is offline Starter

Brian Russell

Perhaps he thought it was a fair amount and wants to test free agency next year. Im sure his asking price will be better with 2 good seasons under his belt.

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Brian Russell

"Hawgski" wrote:

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU GOT A 27% RAISE FROM YOUR EMPLOYER FOR A YEAR OF SERVICE???

[size=12px][/size]

He still had blown assignments and made mistakes. If he improves, then he will get the BRINKS TRUCK backed up next season.

I completely agree. Apparently, the Vikings coaching staff still feels like Russell has a few holes in his game. Even with the holes, if he goes out and gets 5 or 6 picks (or more) again this year, they will pay him better. If he only gets 2 picks, but improves his tackling and coverage skills, he'll get a bigger payday. But you don't want to sign a guy who had one season like that (logic tells us he'll never have 9 ints again) to big bucks, and then see him drop off to a more logical 2 or 3 picks with all the other holes in his play.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Brian Russell

Brian Russell is one of those guys who keeps gettin better. (I hope)
    VIKINGS are KINGS of the NFC North

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Brian Russell

"Hawgski" wrote:

[size=12px][/size]

He went from the league minimum for a player with 2 years experience ($300000) to the league minimum for a player with 3 years experience ($380000). In essence, the Vikings told him that they weren't going to pay him anything more than they have to; that his contributions last year didn't matter, since he couldn't threaten to leave. I agree that it was a shrewd business move. We didn't have to pay him more, because he couldn't negotiate with anyone else. This is less about how much he makes, and more about what kind of message the front office is sending him. That's the part that worries me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast