Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Russell

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Brian Russell

Well, the Vikings have re-signed Brian Russell to another one year deal. He was an exclusive-rights free agent, meaning he couldn't negotiate with other teams. So, what did the Vikings do for the guy who tied for the NFL lead in INTs last season? They signed him to league minimum $380,000 base salary. Does anyone else think that this is going to haunt us next year when his contract is up again?

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Brian Russell

I sure hope not... but maybe. Russell seems like a guy who plays for the love of the game... not the money. So we'll see. If we can offer him a decent contract next year... I think he will take it

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Brian Russell

I think Brian Russell needs to have at least one more good season before we blow alot of money on a one season wonder. I hope he does, but try to keep in perspective that 380,000 dollars is alot of money and he is most likely still in the top 1% of income in the US.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

billvike is offline Pro-Bowler

Brian Russell

I wish we could of signed him to a 2 or 3 yr deal, this guy had a break through season and we give him shit for it come on...a 3 yr deal worth 3 million isnt too much to ask for is it?

Vikings 2004 :king:

Afroman :rr:
    Darold "PaPa" Gustafson 1927-2004, Carol Gustafson 1935-2005, U guys are back together in Heaven, We Miss u!!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Brian Russell

He had a great year last year, and if he does the same thing this year he will be rewarded (most likely). I just like how he hits people, especially the shot he gave Shannon Sharpe last year, I LOVED THAT!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Brian Russell

I think things will work out fine

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Brian Russell

He's the next Pat Tillman....Overachiever....but he need to learn to take better angles and tackle in the open field better

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Brian Russell

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I think Brian Russell needs to have at least one more good season before we blow alot of money on a one season wonder. I hope he does, but try to keep in perspective that 380,000 dollars is alot of money and he is most likely still in the top 1% of income in the US.
    I realize that $380,000 is a lot of money, and that as an former undrafted rookie free agent, he has to be thrilled that he's made his way into a solid role as a starter in the NFL. However, I also realize that he contributed in a major way to our defensive efforts in the secondary, and put up some impressive numbers (9 INT, 10 PD, 95 tackles). We responded by offering him a minimum contract, simply because he had pretty much no other option. I don't want the Vikings to get the reputation as a team that screws their own players. We want to attract the quality free agents year after year, not give them a reason to look elsewhere.

Ryno is offline Rookie

Brian Russell

I think it's a slap in the face to pay him the minimum after the kind of year he had in 2003. Throw the guy a bone if your only gonna lock him up for one year, we have plenty of cap room. Any generosity the vikes show to him will only help in future contract talks. + If B. Russsel goes out and improves his play and pulls down another 5-7 INT', then the ball is in his court, and he can tell the vikes to go f*ck off.
    I see this coming back to burn us next year.
    just my 0.02

Ryno is offline Rookie

Brian Russell

Good point josdin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast