tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re:Brian Robison chat transcript

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.
    But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.

sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
    Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.

Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
    I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.
    I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
    So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.
    and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
    I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?
    Here's what I read:
    8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...
    No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.
    But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.

sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
    Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.

Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
    I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
    I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?
    Here's what I read:
    8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...
    No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
    And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Here's what I read:

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.

tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Here's what I read:

I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Here's what I read:

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.

tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Here's what I read:

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.

When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Here's what I read:

When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?
    because its pretty much a standard thought that gets involved with weight.

if you put on 20 lbs, you most likely will slow down. If you lose weight, you might get quicker. It happens with NFL players, hockey players, or just big fat dudes.

It doesn't mean he's worried about losing speed, it just means he knows that its possible, and he made sure he stayed as quick and fast as he was.

Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Here's what I read:

I think its pretty natural to associate adding weight to losing speed. That's probalby why Robison made a point of saying he believes he didn't lose any speed, if anything, he actually is quicker. You can chose not to believe that, but that is what he said.

tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Here's what I read:

I think its pretty natural to associate adding weight to losing speed. That's probalby why Robison made a point of saying he believes he didn't lose any speed, if anything, he actually is quicker. You can chose not to believe that, but that is what he said.
    Why would I choose not to believe it? Has nothing to do with my feelings on players adding weight so that they can shift from one position to another.

Again, its my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Here's what I read:

Why would I choose not to believe it? Has nothing to do with my feelings on players adding weight so that they can shift from one position to another.

Again, its my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.
    question... do you think it would be better for him to just shift to DT and LE without adding weight?

the thing is, he gets very few reps at RE with Allen playing almost every snap. If he wants to prove he deserves a roster spot, it will have to be out of position, as sooner or later, his minimal contributions won't be enough and he'll be out on his ass somewhere. You might not like it, but it happens all the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast