Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mr. O is offline Starter

Brett Favre is not a great quarterback!

I know this has probably been argued a million times before, but due to an argument with my editor last night, it's fresh in my mind.
    Here's the scenario ... We are putting together a three page spread for our sports section entitled: 100 Things We Hate About Sports.
    My suggestion was: How the television media gushes over Brett Favre.
    To which my editor replies: What, he's a GREAT QB!
    Which of course set off a debate which last the entire evening.
    Basically, my argument was guys like Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw were GREAT quarterbacks, not just for their rings, but how they won them.
    While Favre only won one Super Bowl and can only be considered a good quarterback, who is past his prime.
    His argument was (and this is where I started to get angry): He's still a great quarterback, besides, what has Daunte ever won.
    Anyways, the bickering continued all night. I just wanted to share this experience and invite any thoughts on the subject.
    A man falls in love through his eyes, a woman through her ears. - Woodrow Wyatt

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

He's in the top 5 of about every QB statistic there is. That alone qualifies him as great IMO.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

You can STILL hate how the media gushes over Favre, while admitting that he is/was a great QB...the two are not mutually exclusive.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

Brett Favre is a Hall Of Fame QB. He ranks up there with Montana and Bradshaw easy. I don't like him and I agree on the media thing but he is one of the best.

IMO Marino is one of the best all time. How many championships did he win again?

Championships play a small roll in my opinion of what makes a QB great.
    He has records,
    He controls his team, there is no question who the leader is there, he demands respect by his play.

He is great not my favorite but you gotta give the guy some credit.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Farve WAS a great QB, he certainly doesn't play like one anymore. Still he will get to the Hall and rightly so.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

I don't know if you can look at the play where favre ran way past the line of scrimage, could have gotten the first down, but then got scared and blew his team's chance to get back in the game by throwing the ball for no reason and say he ranks up there with Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw. Especially after you consider that this is supposed to be a Quarterback who is A. the toughest man in football and B. Because of his age, smart with the football.

Wins and losses play a very small roll in determining whther a player is. A win is a team effort, you can not look at a win, which takes so many other things into account and say just because this player, played on this team, he is a great player.

That being said, there is one quality I admire in Brett Favre (and oh how it pains me to admit it!) and that is that he takes chances, he'll try and make the ill-adivsed, or the impossible throw if it's going to score points. Lots of times the guy just puts the ball in the air, not knowing what going on, sometimes it works out, and other times Brian Dawkins intercepts the pass and the Packers playoff run is stopped. He'd put up some great stats playing the game like that, and I'd really like toi see Daunte do it. Now, you can mark that one down, I'll never give Favre anything that close to a compliment again.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Wicked Koala is offline Training Camp

Hmmm..I don't even see Montana or Bradshaw on here.

http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/favre_watch/

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Wicked Koala" wrote:
    Hmmm..I don't even see Montana or Bradshaw on here.

http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/favre_watch/
    Look under the "Superbowl Victories" category.

...Oh....wait.....there isn't one.

Seriously, Favre is a great QB - STILL. Yes, the media makes him out to be the second comming, but even without the media hype, he's STILL a darn tootin' good QB. How many times have we seen him come back against US and win? Too many.

So, sorry Mr. O, I agree with your Editor. Favre is STILL a great QB. He's not the "Greatest" right NOW, but he's by no means washed up.

Hey, here's one for your 100 things I hate about Sports:

Hypocrasy. Randy Moss walks off the field with 2 seconds on the clock and it's National news. Favre walks off the field with 34 seconds on the clock (11/17/02) and no one bats an eyelash.

Caine

Del Rio Guest

Well if your going to base the assumption you can't rank him up there with those guys based off ONE play towrads the end of his carrer then that's just foolish.

I bet I can go back into the archives and dig up one play by each great QB that was very questionable. Anyone that doesn't rank him up there with the best is in serious denial.

Then again it's all opinions so no one is wrong but.............. I am right

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

I wasn't basing him off that one play, but come-on now that was pretty stupid. I doubt you'll find an Elway, Marino, Tarkenton, Bradshaw or Montana doing something like that, and I'd been good money that you wouldn't find them do it at the same point in their career as Favre or in game as mportant as a playoff game.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast