Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Interesting

Peterson says he likes running out of a single back formation and he's slapping Felton in the face but Harvin walks out on the team in training camp, has a raucous with the coach on the sidelines, later has a locker room blow out (that got him removed from the team for the remainder of the season), later demands outlandish money to stay with the team or a trade, also has other issues coming to light regarding Ponder.....and he's only had one incident from your perspective and has done nothing to affect the locker room, I guess many of us just don't get Percy's sense of humor or something then.
    I love me some AD, but I think he's a quiet leader for a reason

Percy was an athletic freak and supremely confident, AD can relate. Now AD is stuck with a bunch of inferior humans who have yet to evolve physically.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I love me some AD, but I think he's a quiet leader for a reason

Percy was an athletic freak and supremely confident, AD can relate. Now AD is stuck with a bunch of inferior humans who have yet to evolve physically.
    LOL! Yup!!

Well, I think it sucks that we had to get rid of him, but it's great that we got something out of it. I've heard it said, and seen and read that this particular draft is devoid of sure-fire, top ten talent, BUT, that there is very little drop off until 25 or 30 guys go off the board. We now have 2 of those talented picks...and some change, the 7th, but I really like the sound of an extra 3rd next year...if the Ponder continues to fail, perhaps, it helps set us up to make a move for a replacement next draft.

And, it opens up options for Free Agency and this draft. I wouldn't mind Wes Welker for a reasonable price, cuz I think we need at least one vet leader in our WR core and this guy would be a good example of a hard working team leader. In the draft there's Tavon Austin and Ryan Swope who have both played some RB and WR. Despite Austin being the more sparkling pick, he also may have Harvin style ego...I really like Swope's consistent production, and, he's built like a Harvin with a bit more muscle and has more routes in his repertoire, tho less experience from the backfield.

But, I think we might actually be moving away from the slot guy being our no.1 option. We already have Kyle Rudolf as a threat in the middle, and some decent slot potential in Wright. What we need to add is a speedy, deep threat WR on one outside, AND a reliable, versatile, runs all the routes guy over near the other sideline.

So, options at each....

Reliable/Route Runner: Gennings, Cruz? (Boldin woulda fit), Keenen Allen, Robert Woods, perhaps, Hopkins?

Speedy/Deep Threat: Wallace, Tavon Austin? Justin Hunter, Ryan Swope, Terrance Williams, Quinton Patton?

In short, the options to fix this are there, lets just hope we see Spielman make it happen! Oh, and a RT apparently!

SKOL VIKINGS!!! GO GET SOME!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Well, now we need to sign Jennings or Wallace and then draft Tavon austin. He isn't Percy's size but he has his explosiveness and in the second pick up Hunter or Woods.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    LOL! Yup!!

Well, I think it sucks that we had to get rid of him, but it's great that we got something out of it. I've heard it said, and seen and read that this particular draft is devoid of sure-fire, top ten talent, BUT, that there is very little drop off until 25 or 30 guys go off the board. We now have 2 of those talented picks...and some change, the 7th, but I really like the sound of an extra 3rd next year...if the Ponder continues to fail, perhaps, it helps set us up to make a move for a replacement next draft.

And, it opens up options for Free Agency and this draft. I wouldn't mind Wes Welker for a reasonable price, cuz I think we need at least one vet leader in our WR core and this guy would be a good example of a hard working team leader. In the draft there's Tavon Austin and Ryan Swope who have both played some RB and WR. Despite Austin being the more sparkling pick, he also may have Harvin style ego...I really like Swope's consistent production, and, he's built like a Harvin with a bit more muscle and has more routes in his repertoire, tho less experience from the backfield.

But, I think we might actually be moving away from the slot guy being our no.1 option. We already have Kyle Rudolf as a threat in the middle, and some decent slot potential in Wright. What we need to add is a speedy, deep threat WR on one outside, AND a reliable, versatile, runs all the routes guy over near the other sideline.

So, options at each....

Reliable/Route Runner: Gennings, Cruz? (Boldin woulda fit), Keenen Allen, Robert Woods, perhaps, Hopkins?

Speedy/Deep Threat: Wallace, Tavon Austin? Justin Hunter, Ryan Swope, Terrance Williams, Quinton Patton?

In short, the options to fix this are there, lets just hope we see Spielman make it happen! Oh, and a RT apparently!

SKOL VIKINGS!!! GO GET SOME!!!!!
    Hopefully we can make a move in FA for one of the better WR's, but I don't see us getting too crazy on the contract. Jennings appears to be the most likely option, and he may be had for at a somewhat reasonable price.

I think there will be a number of WR's in this draft that will have long term impacts. There will also be a few duds no doubt. Hope we get it right.

Swope is one of the intriguing guys to me. He is one of those guys that flies under the radar, but has always been a real solid producer. He did have some concussions, so a little gamble there. But he is a tough kid and can also block. Projected as a 3rd rounder, but probably go higher based on the buzz.

He also has mad skillz...check out the video if you haven't seen it:

NFL prospect Ryan Swope impresses in trick-shot video - NFL.com

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    This might be deserving of its own thread.

Vikings grew tired of Harvin complaining about Ponder | ProFootballTalk

If that's really the reason we traded Harvin, for calling a spade a spade, I'm seriously disappointed.

It's now fairly obvious what his problem last summer was too.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Hopefully we can make a move in FA for one of the better WR's, but I don't see us getting too crazy on the contract. Jennings appears to be the most likely option, and he may be had for at a somewhat reasonable price.

I think there will be a number of WR's in this draft that will have long term impacts. There will also be a few duds no doubt. Hope we get it right.

Swope is one of the intriguing guys to me. He is one of those guys that flies under the radar, but has always been a real solid producer. He did have some concussions, so a little gamble there. But he is a tough kid and can also block. Projected as a 3rd rounder, but probably go higher based on the buzz.

He also has mad skillz...check out the video if you haven't seen it:

NFL prospect Ryan Swope impresses in trick-shot video - NFL.com
    Yup. Pressures on Spielman, better get it right!

Nice! I kinda got the feeling he's going to slip up into the 2nd too. But, there are other needs and several WRs listed above him...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Much as I hate to lose the kind of talent that Harvin has, this really had to happen, IMO. He's just not a team player. I'll paraphrase JFK and tell him,

Ask not what the team will do for you. Ask what you can do for the team.

Listen carefully to his comments from Tuesday's press conference in Seattle. There are multiple instances of Percy indirectly slamming the Vikings for not doing things the way he wants. He repeatedly disses on Ponder by praising Wilson for what he supposedly offers. It's subtle and indirect, but very definitely there.

Sorry, Percy, but the talent isn't worth the headaches. (Ours, not yours.)

I don't wish him ill, either, but I'd prefer not to see the Seahawks benefit from this after what they did to us with a certain other WR's poison contract. Why do we even still deal with them, anyway?

Down to it, there are still plenty of options left, both in FA and the draft. We won't be able to solve all of our problems at once, but we can still make positive strides and position ourselves for more improvement next year, when there may be better long-term options available at WR and maybe even at QB. There certainly isn't a better option there this year (unless you think Fitzpatrick is the answer).

Buckle up, amigos. It's going to be a long ride, and probably pretty bumpy, but we'll get through it.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Interesting

Peterson says he likes running out of a single back formation and he's slapping Felton in the face but Harvin walks out on the team in training camp, has a raucous with the coach on the sidelines, later has a locker room blow out (that got him removed from the team for the remainder of the season), later demands outlandish money to stay with the team or a trade, also has other issues coming to light regarding Ponder.....and he's only had one incident from your perspective and has done nothing to affect the locker room, I guess many of us just don't get Percy's sense of humor or something then.
    Again, how many of those incidents happened in the locker room? Look back at what you posted. I still see 1. I stand by my claim that he had 1 locker room incident involving Frazier. Having an argument with Frasier on the sidelines about what our QB isn't seeing or doing doesn't make him a cancer in the locker room. Having another argument with his coach in the locker room doesn't necessarily make him one either

Now who should I believe, fans on forums or a few media people that labeled him as cancer or actual players on our team? Hmmmm! We already know what our star player said & it's well documented that Frasier wanted him back. Add Kevin Williams and others to that list that disagree he was a cancer in the locker room.

Williams said he wasn't sure why the Vikings would trade away a player of Harvin's caliber, adding that Harvin was well-liked in the locker room and some of the receiver's on-field actions, like his sideline rant to coach Leslie Frazier on Nov. 4, were misconstrued.
    Williams said he never saw the player and coach argue out in the open.

"If it happened, it probably went on behind closed doors," Williams said. He added, "Nobody had any problems with Percy (in the locker room). He went about his business, did his work. Sometimes, his passion for what he did on the football field got taken out of context. He was real passionate about what he did. That's good for ballplayers."
    Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin trade befuddles Kevin Williams

Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin trade befuddles Kevin Williams - TwinCities.com

Who to believe? Star players from the Vikings who are part of that team in the locker room or a bunch of fans calling him a locker room cancer.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Again, how many of those incidents happened in the locker room? Look back at what you posted. I still see 1. I stand by my claim that he had 1 locker room incident involving Frazier. Having an argument with Frasier on the sidelines about what our QB isn't seeing or doing doesn't make him a cancer in the locker room. Having another argument with his coach in the locker room doesn't necessarily make him one either

Now who should I believe, fans on forums or a few media people that labeled him as cancer or actual players on our team? Hmmmm! We already know what our star player said & it's well documented that Frasier wanted him back. Add Kevin Williams and others to that list that disagree he was a cancer in the locker room.

Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin trade befuddles Kevin Williams

Minnesota Vikings: Percy Harvin trade befuddles Kevin Williams - TwinCities.com

Who to believe? Star players from the Vikings who are part of that team in the locker room or a bunch of fans calling him a locker room cancer.
    I still find it interesting that you will claim Peterson is slapping Felton in the face with a comment and then minimize Harvin's behavior

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415