Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

BREAKIN NEWS: Red picks up Tice's 2005 option

Red, will not commit long term because he wants to sell the team. Red keeps the salaries low so the team looks better on the books!

Until he decides if he is an owner or a salesman the team will suffer!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

Vikings bring back Tice for 2005

December 27, 2004
    EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Mike Tice will coach the Minnesota Vikings again in 2005.

The team picked up Tice's $1 million option to coach next season, despite a second straight late-season fade by the club.

Owner Red McCombs gave Tice the news in a phone call Monday. The Vikings have lost six of their last nine games, but at 8-7 still have a shot at the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

``Although our expectation of winning the division was not met, we feel that the program Mike Tice has guided gives us the talent base to have to success today and in the future,' McCombs said in a statement. ``Our expectations are high for the upcoming playoffs and for next year.'

Tice has posted a 23-25 record since replacing Dennis Green before the final game of the 2001 season. He would have become a free agent Jan. 31 if the club failed to exercise the option by Saturday -- the day before Minnesota's regular season finale at Washington.

``I think it will be good for the players, because they won't have to hear (about the contract) all week,' Tice said.

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

T-Bone is offline Rookie

I don't think Tice is any good, but I will admit that there isn't a coach available that could improve our team without Red McDick's help.

Could you imagine how good we could be if a true football fan owned the team. You could spend the entire cap room and still make a buck or two.

"Valhalladeath" wrote:
    You do know that part of the defensive shortcomings ARE from the fact that we have had a different coordinator every year for the last 4 years correct? Let's stick with someone for more than one season before we judge how well they are doing.
    100% correct. Now that this move is done, lets judge the coaches and the team after next season. Hopefully we'll have a new owner this time next year.
    Even babies know the difference.

Re: BREAKIN NEWS: Red picks up Tice's 2005 option

"PurpleReign" wrote:
    Just heard on the 'FAN, via Tice's Monday press conference.....said Red called him around 11am CST this morning and said he was picking up his option for next year.

I don't have a problem with it, even though I know some of you are gonna run out onto 35W into oncoming traffic after reading this.

Lose Randy Moss for 5 games...Matt Birk for half a season.....Kleinsasser for the year....10 guys on defense who can't hold Kevin Williams's jock.
    Have aproblem with it?
    Hell, I predicted it. I said as long as Red is the owner, he will go cheap and Tice will be the head coach.

"enlvikeman" wrote:
    Please Red sell the team! Or spend some money to give us what we need!
    Red wants 600 million for the team. A team without its own stadium. That would boost the team to over 1 billion for the new owner.

And, Red will only spend what the NFL requires or if it puts the Vikins in a better position to be sold. Like long term cap friendly deals with Moss and Culpepper several years ago.

"kramer9guy" wrote:
    "Valhalladeath" wrote:
    You do know that part of the defensive shortcomings ARE from the fact that we have had a different coordinator every year for the last 4 years correct? Let's stick with someone for more than one season before we judge how well they are doing.
    100% correct. Now that this move is done, lets judge the coaches and the team after next season. Hopefully we'll have a new owner this time next year.
    And if we have a new owner, for sure we will have a new coaching staff including head coach.
    Thats why Red got the 1 year option for a million bucks. No long term committment for the potential new owner.

"XTAP59" wrote:
    "kramer9guy" wrote:
    "Valhalladeath" wrote:
    And if we have a new owner, for sure we will have a new coaching staff including head coach.
    Thats why Red got the 1 year option for a million bucks. No long term committment for the potential new owner.
    You are correct sir. So lets wait until next year and see if we have a new owner. Until then we are stuck with Tice like him or not. Either way, nothing is going to change dramatically for atleast another year (unless he switches coordinators but I don't think he will). So let the judgement begin after next season...
    Even babies know the difference.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: BREAKIN NEWS: Red picks up Tice's 2005 option

"PurpleReign" wrote:
    Just heard on the 'FAN, via Tice's Monday press conference.....said Red called him around 11am CST this morning and said he was picking up his option for next year.

I don't have a problem with it, even though I know some of you are gonna run out onto 35W into oncoming traffic after reading this.

Lose Randy Moss for 5 games...Matt Birk for half a season.....Kleinsasser for the year....10 guys on defense who can't hold Kevin Williams's jock.

Looks like we are stuck with one more year of underacheiving and being average. I have absolutely no high expectations of this team for next season now either. I don't care if we draft antrell rolle and sign julian peterson and a great DT in FA. As long as tice is our coach, we will underacheive and be an average team at best, PERIOD. Next year will be the 3rd year you are gonna have to hear me bitch and moan about how horrible of a coach he is and how he is ruining the prime years of daunte and moss.

Oh yeah, and when tice is finally let go after next season, I will be very quick to say I told you guys so. I garauntee when that happens, all the current tice supporters will then be saying, "oh well he wasn't that good of a coach anyways". No one will actually be sad he is leaving.

God I am so sick of underacheiving! Thank god I like atlanta and phily! No need for people to start calling me a bandwagon fan because I like phily and atl either, because I can go back to the beginning of this year and show posts where I said that phily and atl were also teams I really liked. The difference in those 2 teams and us, is that they have good head coaches that won't allow their teams to underacheive and be average. Our coach is the exact opposite.

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Joy.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast