12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Brandon Burton's very own thread

Burton Scouting Report

He looks like if he starts playing to his potential he'll be a great pick for us at a position of need. I'm liking today's draft. And our draft as a whole.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

delviking is offline Starter

Re: Brandon Burton's very own thread

Ive like the draft also and hey can never have enough young Corners

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

From the little I've seen he looks bad against the run, have a difficult time recognizing the run, struggles at times to get of the block and is not aggressive enough. He seems to have a hard time grasping zone coverage and is not great when lined up off his man in coverage.

He's definitely at his best lined up closed to the scrimmage where he might be one of the best in this draft. He has good speed and shows nice timing and instincts in coverage. Burton shows great potential, but needs some coaching and practice before he can start full-time.

Well, that's my take on him.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Another nice pick. Mayock says hes a good fit for a team that is going to run the new Press/Zone coverage scheme. Kindof like the Steelers have been running the last two years only we will stay in our 4-3 where as they line up in a 3-4 base.

Read & React: Flies to the ball once recognizing where the it's going, exciting defensive coordinators playing a lot of zone. Tends to react a step late on out-cuts and comebacks when in man due to sloppy footwork. Needs coaching on how to read receivers off the line and anticipate routes.

Man Coverage: Scouts appreciate his quick feet on the edge in man, as he can turn and run with any receiver down the sideline. Good jitterbug backward from the snap to wait for receiver to make his move. Fluid enough to mirror routes. Likes to guess, however, which allows receivers to get inside position after a fake outside. Has the size to handle NFL receivers and is willing to lay his hands on them (officials believe he gets too grabby at times). Knocks away jump balls with above-average height and vertical, but needs more want-to in battling situations even against smaller receivers. Stays too high in his backpedal, limiting his change of direction ability.

Zone Coverage: Looks like a press corner but understands zone concepts and could excel in the right scheme. Comes off initial read to follow underneath route. Had communication issues with safeties at times, allowing plays down the seam. Good hand-eye coordination and closing speed to break up throws, but only adequate hands for the interception. Flashes the ability to knock away passes, but needs to find the ball in the air more regularly.

Closing/Recovery: Owns plenty of closing and recovery speed to earn playing time at the next level. Flies to shallow routes, even if in man coverage on another receiver. Recovers quickly enough to trail effectively over the middle or catch up to receivers downfield if beaten off the line. Wastes his speed at times by taking false steps transitioning forward from his pedal.

Run Support: Knows his assignments when attacking runs or quick screens. Forces plays inside, and can shed blocks to get to the ball. Should be more effective in this area given his size and strength. Does try to use his hands to defeat blocks, but is too easily held off plays by receivers giving up significant size. Does not feel lineman coming into his area, gets put on the ground.

Tackling: Usually uses his size, arm span and strength to bring down receivers immediately after the catch. Stops his feet after contact at times when tackling in the open field, allowing ballcarriers to run through his attempt. Resorts to cut tackles when unnecessary but is generally effective at taking out the legs of the ballcarrier. Does not defeat cut blocks with his hands. Gives some effort as a chaser downfield but could do more.

Intangibles: Took a leadership role with several players lost to graduation in 2009. Vocal on the field, letting young teammates know about miscommunications in the secondary and never backing down from an opponent's challenge. Seems to bounce back well after giving up a play.
    CBS Sports

Strengths
    A fluid athlete with good feet and hips. Despite his stature, he prefers to play press coverage and gets a good jam on receivers. Easily flips his hips out of his back pedal to turn and run with the receiver down the field. Has the speed to close on a receiver's route. Maintains his balance well down the field and has good leaping ability to go up and break up passes.
    Weaknesses
    Thin defensive back who will need to add strength. Not a corner who likes to mix it up in the running game. Breaks up a lot of passes, but only three interceptions in three seasons.
    Projection
    Fourth rounder. He should start as a nickel back and could develop into a solid starting corner.
    CDS Sports
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Hope Burton works hard on his tackling, if he wants to contribute quickly on special teams

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Here he is a few years ago..

[img size=400]http://nflvikings.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/brandon-burton-1st-team1.jpg[/img]

http://blog.vikings.com/2011/04/30/burton-a-viking-from-the-start/

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

...Sweet dinky car collector set.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Some other stuff I found on him from SI, Fox sports, NFLN, ESPN etc,

Round 5, Pick 8 (139) Brandon Burton DB 6'0" 190
    "Biography: Two-year starter awarded all-Conference honors as a junior with totals of 51/2/8. Sophomore numbers included 47/1/10.

Positives: ""Solid cornerback prospect who has good upside. Quick-footed moving in reverse, can flip his hips off the line, and displays an explosive burst to the ball out of his plant. Displays a physical nature to his game, mixes it up with receivers throughout the route, and gives effort defending the run. Effectively reads receivers? eyes and gets his head back around to locate the pass in the air. Possesses a nice move to the ball in coverage.""

Negatives: ""Inconsistent with his backpedal and does too much side shuffling at times. Does not display a good sense of timing, late reacting to the action and does not track the ball well downfield. Slow transitioning out of his backpedal and does not do a good job positioning himself against opponents to defend passes.""

Analysis: ""Burton has shown a lot of skill the past two seasons but still needs to smooth out the rough edges of his game. He possesses the size and speed to play at the next level and could see action in dime packages as a rookie, preferably in a zone system.""

Projection: 3-4 "

Pick Analysis: Burton is a long, rangy corner with the potential to be an effective Cover-2 corner as a pro. He has good ball skills and awareness, and should be an effective sub-defender for the Vikings.

He doesn't have elite ball skills and doesn't show great burst out of his backpedal, but he's a good value here because of his size/speed blend and his willingness to play the run. He'll start as a sub-package defender, but has the ability to develop into a starter.

Prospect Rank: 80

The Vikings got good value with Burton, who was expected to go off the board a few rounds earlier.

"Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: Burton was continually exposed in coverage and beat too often in college. He is best rolled up in press coverage the way head coach Leslie Frazier likes to play his cornerbacks. Burton could offer more depth at a position of need for the Vikings."
    Definately not a "Shutdown" corner so some on here won't like him when they see him play is my guess, but I like what he brings to the table as a C2 player.

On a side note, I am 100% convinced, that even though we are going to stay with the C2 we are going to start employing our DB's in a different manner.

Seen some stuff talking about the "Press/Zone". To do it you need Big CB's who can jam/route WR's to the inside zones, LB's that can drop into those zones and speed on the DL.

Again, after reviewing the pieces we added to the parts we already have, I think I'm liking were the staff is going with this (if I'm right). :whistle:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!