Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Brad Wants to Start

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    "modena11" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:
    Brad is a winner with a Super Bowl ring on his finger. He proved that he could do something that DC was unable to do this year . . . win!!!!!

I did some research on DC and was a bit surprised to see that DC is a loser . . . in football games that is.

2000 11-5
    2001 5-11
    2002 6-10
    2003 7-7 (Gus Ferrotte was 2-0 in injury relief)
    2004 8-8
    2005 2-5 (Brad Johnson was 7-2 in injury relief)

OVERALL 39-46

Which begs the question, why don't we give Brad a run at it for a season or so. He's earned it. Lets see how far he can lead this team. DC had it for 6 years and didn't get it done. What do we stand to lose (other than another Super Bowl).

And . . . Didn't we just run a Coach out of town with a better record than 39-46 . . . who wasn't on the field playing the game???

Maybe . . . we can dump another high salary on someone else, bring in an understudy to BJ, and see what happens!!!!!!
    ignorance man.

football is a team sport my friend. during all those years you stated the vikings had a top 5 or better offence. daunte got the job done on offence, it was our 28th or worse defence that really cost us any chance at success.

maybe you should do some research on the team as a whole instead of just looking at daunte.
    Well, it's hard for people to get the idea that a QB is all that's important out of their heads after the media has scorched it into their subconciousness in movies and quarterback-centered coverage. Personally, I'd rather have a quarterback who's a freshman in college surrounded by high-caliber NFL players than have it the other way around. This isn't saying that Daunte isn't a great quarterback. He is. But he hasn't had much of a defense to work with. When Sgt. Pepper went down, the rest of our team finally realized that Daunte can't carry the team all by himself and finally started to play at a level closer to their full potential.
    The QB, next to the Head Coach (right or wrong) gets the most credit and the most blame for a teams success.

Didn't I just see Vince Young (a QB) beat a USC team loaded with talent and 2 Heisman Winners???? Next to solid defense, the QB is the next most important piece of the winning puzzle, followed by the O-Line, and then the glory boys (RB'S & WR'S).

Give me a solid D, a sharp QB, a powerful O-Line and I'll make any RB or Receiver look like gold.

Our D is just about there (but getting old) and how many times did DC screw things up with late game forced throws or fumbles?? I am not doubting the talent of DC, but I feel our best chance to win is with the improved D and BJ running the "O". Shore up the line and watch what happens.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

damviking is offline Training Camp

Calling Daunte a loser is like calling Fran a loser. Maybe Marino was a loser. Would you call Doug Williams a winner because he won a superbowl, or a flash in the pan? NOT. Do you remeber that two years ago Daunte would have been NFL MVP if not for the year that payton had. Oh yeah so far Peyton is a loser. Childress said he will use the west coast O. How better to run it then DC?
    I am very happy with Childress. The best thing he could have said was " I will start with the O line". If you look back at Elways first superbowl win it was because of the o line in part. there line was anchored by two of the vikings linemen we should have kept. Same thing with johnsons Superbowl win. TB line had Two viking Linemen we should have kept.
    I think its about time we get and keep a good O line. If Childress can do this I beleive either Qb can be a winner!

vIker44 is offline Rookie

"sleepagent" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:
    Brad is a winner with a Super Bowl ring on his finger. He proved that he could do something that DC was unable to do this year . . . win!!!!!

I did some research on DC and was a bit surprised to see that DC is a loser . . . in football games that is.

2000 11-5
    2001 5-11
    2002 6-10
    2003 7-7 (Gus Ferrotte was 2-0 in injury relief)
    2004 8-8
    2005 2-5 (Brad Johnson was 7-2 in injury relief)

OVERALL 39-46

Which begs the question, why don't we give Brad a run at it for a season or so. He's earned it. Lets see how far he can lead this team. DC had it for 6 years and didn't get it done. What do we stand to lose (other than another Super Bowl).

And . . . Didn't we just run a Coach out of town with a better record than 39-46 . . . who wasn't on the field playing the game???

Maybe . . . we can dump another high salary on someone else, bring in an understudy to BJ, and see what happens!!!!!!
    Here's Brad Johnson's Career Stats:

1995 2-1
    1996 7-5
    1997 8-5
    1998 1-3
    1999 10-6
    2000 7-5
    2001 9-7
    2002 10-3
    2003 7-9
    2004 0-4
    2005 7-2

OVERALL 68-50

Interesting side note - Tony Dungy wanted HIM as his QB for Tampa Bay in 2001. Tampa Won the Super Bowl the next year with BJ as QB.

The obvious point is BJ is a winner despite the 3 Organizations he's been with and deserves a shot at leading this team.

If I were Coach, I'd start BJ until he failed (several poor performances) and then put DC back in (if he's ready). He has the experience. He doesn't make as many critical mistakes as DC, and manages the game well. He's not exciting like DC, but atleast he wins.
    So the fact that Tampa Bay had one of the greatest defenses in history had nothing to do with that Super Bowl win??? In 04 Pepp put up world beater numbers with one of the worst defenses and worst coaches in the league... we backed into the playoffs went up to Lamebo field and smacked duh pack..... I would have loved to put BJ in those exact circumstances and seen how he would have survived..... Look, all the credit in the world to BJ for barely beating a string of weak teams this past season..... but anyone that truely believes he's the future of the Vikings really needs to have their head examined...... whew, this is some mind blowingly debating going on in this forum..... wow.............
    it's tarv time............

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Can Culpepper Adapt Quickly?

Daunte Culpepper By John Holler

Date: Jan 8, 2006

With a new head coach and a new offense to learn, the question of the offseason will surround the progress of quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Will he recover from surgery to repair three torn ligaments in his knee on time to even start the season, and if so can he really get up to speed with a new offense without practicing in the offseason workouts? It could be dicey. Then again, what’s a Vikings offseason without a little controversy, right?

One of the first questions Vikings head coach Brad Childress was asked at his introductory press conference Friday was if he was going to bring the West Coast offense to the Vikings. He danced around the question, which was repeated in different forms almost a half-dozen times, but it seems clear that if Childress is the head coach and intends to do most, if not all, of the play-calling, that at least some variation of the WCO will be instituted in Minnesota.

At first blush, that looks like a big advantage for someone like Brad Johnson, who played with a WCO in Tampa Bay under Jon Gruden. He knows the terminology and how the West Coast system varies from that of the Vikings. The ultimate test will be how Daunte Culpepper reacts to the change.

Culpepper has never played in a West Coast offense, which uses the short passing game as its staple and gets both running backs and tight ends significantly involved in the offense. The offense that Vikings have run since Dennis Green became the head coach and Brian Billick ran the offense has been viewed by most as a hybrid of the offense that Joe Gibbs popularized in the 1980s – a combination of a power running game behind a huge offensive line and the deep strike capability that can create big plays.

The success of the WCO is predicated on sustaining long drives and picking up yardage in chunks of five or 10 yards – not the 50-yard bomb. If Culpepper is to succeed in the system, he can begin his preparation now while he’s still rehabbing – learning the new terminology and check-down rotations. In the old Vikings system, Culpepper operated in an offense that was known for its quick-strike capability and liberal use of the deep ball. Some quarterbacks have never thrived in a WCO – struggling to be as patient as the offense requires.

If Culpepper can adapt quickly to the changes that the likely switch to a modified WCO will produce, he could quickly return to Pro Bowl form. If he balks at the notion or struggles in it, Childress may have to ask himself if the Vikings are better off staying with what has worked for them for more than a decade or make the switch to a system Childress is the most comfortable overseeing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's interesting to see the Childress doesn't appear to be interested in building a system around the Franchise QB, but instead put in a system that he & BJ are very familiar with. If DC doesn't use his rehab time to study and/or can make the conversion . . . so much for our Franchise QB and the face of the Vikes!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

xvikingfan is offline Rookie

Vikes would be in the playoffs this weekend if Johnson started this season.He doesn't want to watch Culpepper go 1-5 next year and then try to salvage the season again.Culpepper looked lost this year.He still can't read defenses and comming off an injury and learning a new offense is a disaster just waiting to happen.If Vikes must keep him,I say let him heal fully and watch Johnson adjust to the new offense.He can heal fully and learn the new O at the same time.

IL-Vike is offline Training Camp

The obvious point is BJ is a winner despite the 3 Organizations he's been with and deserves a shot at leading this team.
    I agree with you entirely. I think the drama that will unfold in the Vikings' near future will be very interesting.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"xvikingfan" wrote:
    Vikes would be in the playoffs this weekend if Johnson started this season.
    I highly doubt it. We could also say that the Vikes would have been in the playoffs if Brad had preformed better against Pittsburg or Baltimore. The only winning team the we beat with Brad at the helm was New York, and lets face it. The offense WASN'T the reason we won that game. I am ready to see DC as the starting QB providing his knee is healthy.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"xvikingfan" wrote:
    Vikes would be in the playoffs this weekend if Johnson started this season.He doesn't want to watch Culpepper go 1-5 next year and then try to salvage the season again.Culpepper looked lost this year.He still can't read defenses and comming off an injury and learning a new offense is a disaster just waiting to happen.If Vikes must keep him,I say let him heal fully and watch Johnson adjust to the new offense.He can heal fully and learn the new O at the same time.
    I doubt it. But had we had a decent OC & DC, we very well could have been.

That would have allowed Loney to be able to dedicate 100% of his time to the O-Line.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    "xvikingfan" wrote:

That would have allowed Loney to be able to dedicate 100% of his time to the O-Line.
    Yeah, I don't know what went wrong with Mr. DC this year, he looked like a rookie. While Brad was very good, I don't know if I can go all the way to saying he would take us to the Playoffs.. though it is possible.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ChezPizmo" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "xvikingfan" wrote:

Yeah, I don't know what went wrong with Mr. DC this year, he looked like a rookie. While Brad was very good, I don't know if I can go all the way to saying he would take us to the Playoffs.. though it is possible.
    I was refering to the defensive coordinator, not C-Pep. :lol:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112