singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Brad Johnson's banking on another solid year

Posted on Tue, Aug. 01, 2006

[size=18px]Johnson's banking on another solid year[/size]

Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. - Whether it was riding bikes or jumping in the pool, Brad Johnson realized recently that he and his wife had more fun with their two little boys this summer than ever before.

The entertainment had to end sometime, though. Dad had to go to work.

"I was just trying to enjoy my family. That's the part I hate about training camp," Johnson said.

The Minnesota Vikings hope they can have just as much fun with Johnson this fall.

After a successful takeover at quarterback last October, when Daunte Culpepper suffered a season-ending knee injury, Johnson arrived at camp this year as the unquestioned starter - with the heavy responsibility of leading a new-look offense under an entirely new coaching staff.

Two days after the regular season opener, he'll turn 38.

Even-keeled

"We've talked, and I know he feels like he has three years left," coach Brad Childress said. "It's time and distance. You'll see how he travels that course. None of us have that crystal ball. It's great to have that confidence. You know he's a highly conditioned guy. He's taken great care of his body. I think he knows who he is, and at any time I think that's important. He's not going to stick a round peg in a square hole. He knows his strengths. He knows his weaknesses."

After trading the unhappy Culpepper to Miami in March, Minnesota moved up and drafted raw Tarvaris Jackson from Division I-AA Alabama State in the second round - deciding he was their future quarterback.

Until he's ready, it's Johnson's job. Mike McMahon and J.T. O'Sullivan are the other backups in camp. That places a big burden on the 6-foot-5, 226-pound native of North Carolina.

The left side of the offensive line looks strong, and there is plenty of experience at receiver. But this is Chester Taylor's first chance to be a featured running back, and there aren't any top-tier players at the skill positions anymore.

A manager

That fits with the balance that Childress will be seeking with his version of the West Coast offense, brought from Philadelphia where he was the offensive coordinator. That also, again, makes a solid season by Johnson so much more important.

He had one in 2005, after signing a four-year contract to return to Minnesota and be the backup - then suddenly moving into the lineup when Culpepper went down.

The Vikings went 7-2 with him as a starter, and he threw for 1,885 yards, 12 touchdowns, four interceptions and a 62.6 completion percentage.

"I did what I thought was best for my family, as far as coming back here and where was the most comfortable fit," Johnson said. "I tried to help Daunte and the whole team as much as I could and really just tried to take a reserve role. When my chance came, I was ready to play, and that was pretty much the end of it."

This is Johnson's 15th training camp, his ninth with the Vikings, and his throws will be limited to keep his arm fresh. Both player and coach have said they're in agreement as far as that plan - and everything else so far, including his contract.

At $1.2 million this season, he's by far the lowest-paid starter in the league. But Johnson has not complained about that publicly, and there was no indication he ever planned to hold out.

Johnson's banking on another solid year

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Brad Johnson's banking on another solid year

KFFL
    Vikings | Team counting on another strong season from Johnson
    Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:19:38 -0700

The Associated Press reports the Minnesota Vikings look forward to QB Brad Johnson, who will turn 38 during the season, leading the way in 2006 and build upon his 7-2 mark as the team's quarterback last season. "I know he feels like he has three years left," coach Brad Childress said. "It's time and distance. You'll see how he travels that course. None of us have that crystal ball. It's great to have that confidence. You know he's a highly conditioned guy. He's taken great care of his body. I think he knows who he is, and at any time I think that's important. He's not going to stick a round peg in a square hole. He knows his strengths. He knows his weaknesses."

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Brad is such a stand up guy, you gotta love that. I love that fact that he knows that he is making the lowest pay of most QBs, given the fact that he has a Super Bowl ring in all, he is not upset with that fact. That is why I am glad that Brad is on our team.

Some QBs with a ring would have demanded that they start. Or be given a lrage amount on money based on the fact that they have a SB ring. Brad, not having any of that talk. Makes me proud to have a stand up guy like that with us. Thanks, Brad.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

im sure he'll do fine, he played very well last year and was his old self at camp, with this new line - he's the last of my worries

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese