Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Brad Johnson won't hold out

[size=18px]Brad Johnson Won't Hold Out[/size]
    [size=18px]Despite playing for backup money, the Vikings quarterback told Brad Childress he does not intend to hold out.[/size]
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/578368.html

MANKATO - A series of discussions between the Brads apparently prevented what could have been an uncomfortable start to the first training camp of the Vikings' new era.

Coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brad Johnson spoke at length this week, most recently Wednesday, and Johnson announced Thursday he would report to camp on time despite a contract that makes him the NFL's lowest-paid veteran starter. The Vikings have not adjusted the deal.

The contract will pay Johnson $1.2 million this season, but Childress indicated that the pair reached an understanding on the issue.

"I just think it's important that you keep a clear line of communication going," Childress said, "and I've got that with Brad."

" ... We had a chance to visit on a lot of different areas," Childress continued. "I believe that he is a professional. He signed that contract, he wants to be here, and he wants to lead this team."

Childress arrived Thursday afternoon at Minnesota State Mankato, welcoming a full class of rookies and 10 selected veterans for practices that begin this morning. All six draft picks signed their contracts on time, and Childress said he was ready to open camp with no distractions.

He already had excused Johnson from the early practices, but it had been unclear whether he would report Sunday with the rest of the veterans.

Johnson declined to comment Thursday, but his agent, Phil Williams, said, "He's going to be there."

"In Brad's heart and mind," Williams said, "[holding out] was never an option. He's always been focused on doing everything possible to help do his part in helping this team. ... Brad has simply not wanted to discuss anything related to his contract publicly, nor does he want to. But he felt there shouldn't be any question [in the media] as to whether he will be there."

The situation dates to 2005, when Johnson signed a four-year contract worth $6 million to serve as the primary backup for starter Daunte Culpepper. Johnson won seven of his nine starts after replacing injured Culpepper, and he ascended to full-time starter when Culpepper was traded to Miami.

When veteran backups are elevated to a starting position, NFL teams often raise their salaries to match their role -- especially if the player is a proven veteran. Johnson, who won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay and has played in two Pro Bowls, will turn 38 in September. But the Vikings have no viable alternative on their roster, indicating they have thrown their full confidence behind Johnson for the foreseeable future.

The team has been unwilling to adjust the contract, however, creating the potential for a dispute.

"As everyone knows, Brad signed last year to be Daunte Culpepper's backup," Williams said. "Things have changed drastically, and Brad has said that these things have a way of working themselves out. That has never been his first priority, and never in his career has the contract been his first priority."

Williams would not comment when asked whether Johnson is satisfied with the contract, which locks him into a backup's salary through 2008.

Citing policy, no team official was available to discuss the team's intentions for Johnson's contract.

Childress has said the issue is media-driven, but that observation came before conversations with Johnson, which lasted four hours in person Saturday and then by telephone Wednesday.

The first meeting came when Johnson stopped by Winter Park while in the Twin Cities for a social event. Childress praised him for taking the time to meet, saying, "He certainly did not have to come to the office.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brad has simply not wanted to discuss anything related to his contract publicly, nor does he want to. But he felt there shouldn't be any question [in the media] as to whether he will be there."
    Once again the Media wants to start a fight and now even Brad won't let this happen. Don't worry, Brad will be taken care of. Screw the media.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

oddmanout22287 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Brad Johnson won't hold out

Johnson and Childress seem to have a great relationship between them, like they really trust each other, which is absolutely great for locker room chemistry. I just hope Childress and Zygi don't abuse that trust and not give Johnson what he deserves. It is good to see that Johnson, as always, is still the consumate professional.
    PM me if you'd like a sig.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"oddmanout22287" wrote:
    Johnson and Childress seem to have a great relationship between them, like they really trust each other, which is absolutely great for locker room chemistry. I just hope Childress and Zygi don't abuse that trust and not give Johnson what he deserves. It is good to see that Johnson, as always, is still the consumate professional.
    I think that's the key here. I'm pretty sure you and I aren't the only ones who think they're seeing a great relationship forming between Johnson and Childress. As long as they're both happy with the situation, all this talk about lack of compensation, in terms with being a starting QB in the NFL, as Cojo said, is a non-issue.

Once the season starts this issue of BJ's contract will never be raised again.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=18px]Johnson plans no holdout[/size]

NFL's lowest-paid vet QB to report Sunday

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — Vikings starting quarterback Brad Johnson will report to training camp on time Sunday, agent Phil Williams said Thursday.

Heading into the season as the league's lowest-paid veteran starter, Johnson and Williams have been dogged with questions about a possible holdout. But Williams said Johnson will not hold out to tweak the four-year, $6 million contract he signed before the 2005 season.

"He will absolutely be at training camp Sunday, and there was never a thought of him not being there on time," Williams said. "He's excited about the season and to be the Vikings' starting quarterback."

Asked if Johnson's contract could be addressed later this year, Williams declined comment. Last year during training camp, the Vikings rewarded then-starter Daunte Culpepper with an improved contract.

After failing to land a starting job, Johnson settled for a backup position with the Vikings in 2005, signing a four-year deal that included a $1.2 million signing bonus. This year, though, according to the NFL Players Association, he is scheduled to make $1 million, far less than many backups with limited NFL success, including Kyle Boller ($1.6 million) of the Baltimore Ravens, Kelly Holcomb ($1.125 million) of the Buffalo Bills, Brian Griese of the Chicago Bears ($1.45 million), Josh McCown ($2 million) of the Detroit Lions, Patrick Ramsey ($1.438 million) of the New York Jets and Tim Rattay ($1.25 million) of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Asked if there was any concern about Johnson not reporting on time, Vikings coach Brad Childress said, "I just think that it's important that you keep a clear line of communication going, and I've got that with Brad.

"As I mentioned to you," Childress said, "I spent probably about four hours with him on Saturday. He was up for a surprise party, and he certainly did not have to come into the office. We had a chance to visit on a lot of different areas, and then I spoke with him again on Wednesday on the telephone. I believe that he is a professional. He signed that contract, he wants to be here, and he wants to lead this team."

Asked if their conversations were related to Johnson's contract, Childress said the conversations were about "a lot of different areas."

Childress said he would give J.T. O'Sullivan every chance to compete for the backup quarterback job against Mike McMahon. Childress even mentioned he could keep four quarterbacks, although that's highly unlikely.

More receivers: The Vikings added to their glut of receivers by signing seven-year veteran Dez White on Thursday.

A third-round draft pick out of Georgia Tech, White played his first four NFL seasons with the Chicago Bears before playing the past two with the Atlanta Falcons. A player with supreme speed, White had his best season in 2002, when he caught 51 passes for 656 yards and four touchdowns with the Bears.

White, though, is the 12th receiver on the roster, and teams usually keep five or six.

"As you know, I'm all for competition, and there is no such thing as too many good players," Childress said, noting that White could be an asset on special teams.

Troy Williamson said the coaches wanted him to "get back into the groove" after he missed much of the offseason because of a hip surgery.

"I think it's a good thing for me. It really can't do anything but make me better," he said. "I feel 100 percent. Everything should go fine."

Briefly: A luxury bus delivered the first batch of players, including quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, at 2:45 p.m.

• Rookie Cedric Griffin will play left cornerback and says his goal is to win the nickel spot.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Johnson plans no holdout

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Good work! It only took Jensen & Seifert 2.5 months to figure that one out.

==============================================

Vikings | B. Johnson not concerned about income - from www.KFFL.com
    Sun, 14 May 2006 20:38:30 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Brad Johnson signed a four-year contract worth $6 million to be a backup quarterback for the team. The salary is modest for a starting quarterback, but Johnson is not concerned about his income. He said, "I love playing the game. I've been a part of different situations all through my career. I've been a rookie free agent, I've been traded, I've been a free agent. I've dealt with different contracts and different situations and over time those things just take care of themselves. Usually that's just the way I play things out."

If he has a good year, he should get a small raise. I really think they should wait until the end of the year before giving him a new deal.
    You republican whore!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

When he's in camp on Sunday, I'll rest easier. There is little doubt in my mind that he won't be there.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    When he's in camp on Sunday, I'll rest easier. There is little doubt in my mind that he won'tl be there.
    I agree, we'll finally know what he's going to do when we hear he is there. I'm really starting to doubt that that he won't be there.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I think he deserves a raise. At least a small one. He started for us most of last season and did a solid job. For that alone I think he deserves at least average pay for a starting veteran quarterback.

Del Rio Guest

I don't buy that everything is kosher in candyland.

I am sure Brad will show up. I think it is probably more of an issue then Childress is letting on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast