Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Brad Johnson: Who You Calling Old?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PhillyVikes is offline Starter

Re: Brad Johnson: Who You Calling Old?

Good read Singer. The more I hear people on this team speak either coach or player sounds all positive. A much better impression from this team right now rather then teams in the past. TEAM. Not sure if we'll be a 10-6 team but they got the right people in the right spots this year to at least make a solid team.

Go Vikes!!!!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Being younger and mobile didn’t save Culpepper from injury last year"

And..."Tony Richardson was one of the best moves we made this offseason."

That's what I've said all along. Protection makes a difference. It's good that Brad doesn't scramble all over the place. Notice to all the scrambling QBs last year... Pep, McNabb, Vick - weren't they all injured at one time or another?

Brad will be just fine in the backfield this year and will get the job done with the protection he has. I am confident in the offense this year. Not to dominate games but to get the job done and keep the defense off the field. something we haven't had in a while and something well needed.

Now we need to get a LBer and this team is solid at every position. That is considering Pat is ready to go.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

This is why i havn't been worried at all about B.j taking over the reigns of the vikings O. He will def have one of hte better protecting lines, and hopefully a very good tandem of rb's to keep the d's honest in their coverages.

we prolly won't see many one hit passing td's. but i hope we're gonna see a well trained, route specific wr's, and some over powering over the middle running te's.

this is what B.j will be able to manage, and what he's made as a qb to do!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I think an older veteran QB most of the time is usually more patient and level headed. BJ will be just fine.

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

Hey this old QB can still get the job done. I am pulling for you, Brad. Good luck out there.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

And I read the other day that BJ threw a 65 (or 55 depending on the blog you read) pass to Williamson that caught the defense totally unaware. Who says BJ still can't throw a bomb??
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    And I read the other day that BJ threw a 65 (or 55 depending on the blog you read) pass to Williamson that caught the defense totally unaware. Who says BJ still can't throw a bomb??
    Not me! :grin:

Let's face it...he wouldn't be in the NFL if he couldn't throw it deep. He may not be the greatest deep ball quarterback, but he wouldn't be here if it were impossible for him.

Json is offline GM

I am pulling for Brad. I think he'll do just fine this year as long as he don't get injured. If he stays healthy the Vikings will be in the running for the NFC north crown.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=18px]Jim Souhan: Football is powerful potion for Johnson[/size]

Despite advancing age and a receding salary, the Vikings quarterback retains a youthful approach to the game.
    Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
    Last update: August 04, 2006 – 12:21 AM

MANKATO - The moments are rare and bright as eclipses. They induce a quarterback's version of a runner's high, when pain and fatigue yield to euphoria.
    "Those moments are the two reasons why I play the game," Brad Johnson said.

The Vikings quarterback is standing outside the team's locker room at Minnesota State Mankato, displaying his usual training camp regalia -- crew cut, red jersey, defiantly jutting jaw.

He is explaining why he plays this young man's game despite advancing age (37) and receding salary ($1.2 million, lowest for a veteran NFL starting quarterback); why he'll play football "until they shove me out."

"One, because of the feeling of dropping back and throwing the ball," he said. "Looking a safety off, and in those two seconds, just striking it, making that pure throw against whatever coverage -- dissecting the defense and letting the ball fly out of my hand.

"Two, if you score a touchdown or win a game, for two seconds you're hugging and high-fiving and celebrating. It doesn't last long, but for those two seconds, man ... that's the best feeling in the world."

Johnson is 37 -- "Don't call me 38, not until Sept. 13," he said -- yet he's enthusiastic as a freshman.

His is the familiar face of a franchise in flux. Johnson is the only proven quarterback in camp, the most indispensable player on a team that will try to win without playing stars or coaching experience.

Mention his age, and you get a glimpse of the Johnson Jaw Jut.

He has won a Super Bowl despite losing the quarterback job at Florida State, getting traded once and released once, and suffering your usual baker's dozen of quarterback injuries.

Fans probably worry about Johnson making it through camp. Johnson plans to make it to next decade.

"I think the way I play is unique," he said. "I think it will allow me to play a lot longer.

"People get caught up in a lot of weird things when they watch a quarterback play. I think you've got to get to know the person, the mindset, how he attacks, how he approaches, it, how he throws balls.

"I think I throw a catchable ball. What I'm going to do is make my presnap read, drop back, deliver it on time. If I don't see it, I'm going to find the check-down, and if I have to I'm going to throw it away and move onto the next play.

"The year we won the Super Bowl, I had 51 throwaways. That's got to be a record."

That's one difference between Johnson and Packers star Brett Favre. Johnson insists on throwing the ball away; Favre increasingly throws it to the other team.

During his career, Favre has completed 61.5 percent of his passes for 7.0 yards per attempt and a ratio of 1.55 touchdowns to interceptions. Johnson has completed 61.9 percent for 6.8 yards per attempt and 1.52 TDs to interceptions.

Both have won one Super Bowl. Favre is 36; Johnson is, yes, 37.

"Hey, I'm the same guy I've always been," Johnson said. "And I've always had to fight for my job. Really, I feel young, until you tell me my age. I feel a lot younger than a lot of these guys, who complain about their aches and pains. You've got to tell your body who's boss.

"I don't fall asleep in meetings, like a lot of guys. I know what I want to accomplish, and I know how to get there.

"I've had a real good offseason. I do all my running, all my lifting. I don't miss days. I love being active and it's like, 'What else would I want to do?'

"I don't want to do anything else. People ask me when will I be done, and I say I'll deal with that when I am done. I'm not even thinking about that."

Johnson has been here before -- in Mankato in August, as the starting quarterback for the Vikings. So much has happened since the last time, since he went into the 1998 season looking to break Vikings records and Packers hearts.

That '98 team was so loaded with talent it broke records with backup Randall Cunningham, after Johnson got hurt.

So the Vikings signed Cunningham and traded Johnson. Regrets? "No," Johnson said. "Yeah, '98 would have been a fun year. That was the best offensive line I've ever seen, the best receiving corps I ever saw.

"You deal with it, and, truthfully, moving on helped me because I learned football. You get brainwashed when you're in the same system too long. This is my fifth system. You learn different ways to run plays, to attack defenses, to game plan.

"I've only been around greatness, from Bobby Bowden to Denny Green and Brian Billick, Norv Turner, Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy. I've been blessed. That's why I think this is the best thing for Daunte, just like it was the best thing for me."

That's Daunte Culpepper, the quarterback Johnson replaced last year. The trade of Culpepper in March thrust Johnson into a familiar role with an unfamiliar team, the Brad Childress Vikings.

He's not exactly sweating the details. "All I need is a field and a ball," he said, "and I'm ready to play."

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on KSTP AM 1500. [email protected]

Jim Souhan: Football is powerful potion for Johnson

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast