Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Brad Johnson: Starting QB, backup pay? Could be costly

"Potus2028" wrote:
    Now, however, it appears Johnson could be their starter for at least the next two years
    Two?

I thought we knew this was a one year last stint for Johnson... Any of you guys see him playing yet another year?
    If he does well I don't see a problem with it. I think when we chose not to move up to grab a QB in the draft we chose to stick with Johnson for as long as he can play well.

If Johnson leaves after this season QB is still a question mark. I'm hoping he can play until TJ is ready, which will probably be two years. Otherwise we are going to have to sign an FA QB next year. Drafting another QB would be stupid IMO.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

boognish is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    BJ deserves more money if he is to be the starter for us for the next couple of years.. What he signed was backup money, he was the backup before DC got hurt, and now he is our starter. He should be paid accordingly. That would be a huge slap in the face to his accomplishments if he were to get paid less then Craig Nall, Gus Ferotte, and Josh McCown..
    Not to mention being paid less than Mike "false start" Rosenthal
    He's making more now ($1,200,000) than Daunte Culpepper made in 2004 ($1,037,300), a pro-bowl year, yet everyone thought DC should honor his contract. :wink:

2004 NFL QB salaries
    But didn't Dainty get a big raise after the 2004 season? And isn't it the restructured contract that everyone thought he should honor? It stinks that the database only goes up to 2004; I'd like to see what Culpecker's salary was in 2005 and what it would have been this year, if he hadn't forced his way out of town.
    I am a dipshit!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"boognish" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    BJ deserves more money if he is to be the starter for us for the next couple of years.. What he signed was backup money, he was the backup before DC got hurt, and now he is our starter. He should be paid accordingly. That would be a huge slap in the face to his accomplishments if he were to get paid less then Craig Nall, Gus Ferotte, and Josh McCown..
    He's making more now ($1,200,000) than Daunte Culpepper made in 2004 ($1,037,300), a pro-bowl year, yet everyone thought DC should honor his contract. :wink:

2004 NFL QB salaries
    But didn't Dainty get a big raise after the 2004 season? And isn't it the restructured contract that everyone thought he should honor? It stinks that the database only goes up to 2004; I'd like to see what Culpecker's salary was in 2005 and what it would have been this year, if he hadn't forced his way out of town.
    No!

When he was going to hold out in 2005, he was given an extra $1,000,000 to pacify him for the year & he was given a promise that they would renegotiate his contract after the 2005 season.

After the poor season & the injury, that renegotion never transpired.

That is one of the reasons Daunte was so pissed.

There is no record yet of the 2005 salaries, but my guess is he made between $1.5 & $2.1 million.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

He needs to honor his contract and play. If he has a pro bowl year, yeah give him a slight raise.
    You republican whore!

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Wilf isn't a cheap a$$ like Red was. I have no doubt he will figure out a way to pay BJ what he is worth. I suspect Rob B is working on a way to get him more money without impacting the cap too much. :wink:

WWBGD

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I believe Zygi will take care of this right after we sign the rookies.
    Brad is well deserving of a new contract. He may not be everyones favorite but, damn he's our guy, a real team player who with a little help/running game/and better play from the defense. We'll see just have to wait till the season starts at the deadskins. Bottom line is pay the man the respect 15yrs has earned him.

boognish is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    "boognish" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:

2004 NFL QB salaries
    No!

When he was going to hold out in 2005, he was given an extra $1,000,000 to pacify him for the year & he was given a promise that they would renegotiate his contract after the 2005 season.

There is no record yet of the 2005 salaries, but my guess is he made between $1.5 & $2.1 million.
    Well, it's tough to have any negotiating power after the lousy season Dainty was putting together last year, before the injury. Johnson may have a bit more leverage, if he's even looking for a raise, since he basically brought the team back from the dead last year. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that this is just another hack "journalist" trying to create some drama.
    I am a dipshit!!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"boognish" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "boognish" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis

2004 NFL QB salaries
    No!

Well, it's tough to have any negotiating power after the lousy season Dainty was putting together last year, before the injury. Johnson may have a bit more leverage, if he's even looking for a raise, since he basically brought the team back from the dead last year. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that this is just another hack "journalist" trying to create some drama.
    True. But keep in mind DC wanted to renegotiate his contract before the season even began.

Much like the writer is saying Brad just might do.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I remember when Wilf gave Pepper that $1,000,000 raise. He took him aside at training camp and went to the endzone. After a short conversation Pep had his extra $$$.
    I'm betting the same thing will happen to Brad. Wilf will quietly off him and extra million or two to put him in line withother starters and that will be it. Wilf knows what the players are worth and he know that Brad has the team in his hands.
    Consider it done!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

if they renegotiate his contract, i can see it being stipulation changes, meaning if he hits certain benchmarks or plays a certain amount of games he'll be paid X amount more in addition to his 1.2 base salary

idk if they'll just change the numbers all together since he isnt complaining

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast