Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Brad Johnson: Starting QB, backup pay? Could be costly

Let's hope Zigi is waiting for the rookies to get signed to see what he can do. BJ is a major part of this team. It's true he signed the dotted line as a backup. But now his role has changed and even when you are a backup there's always that chance you get to play. The man is a first class NFL role model and deserves to be treated as such. I'd rather have a Brad Johnson than a whining Terrell Owens or even Daunte Culpepper for that matter. Do the right thing here Zigi. Make him an offer. He'll take it no matter what it is. The point is he deserves to be paid as a starter and a leader.

Prophet Guest

There will be an increase in his salary. The writing is on the wall.

============

KFFL
    Vikings | Childress says media drove B. Johnson contract talk
    Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:10:32 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, recently interviewed Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and he asked him about Vikings QB Brad Johnson's contract situation. "That's something (the media) drove. We don't comment on contracts. Brad and I have spoken about it, and that conversation is between he and I," said Childress.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Let's all sit back and take a deep breath, has anyone heard or seen anywhere that Brad himself is unhappy?...

To me thats the #1 question on this subject.

Don't get me wrong now, I'm a big time believer in Brad, I can even tell you this. I was more upset when we traded away Brad when he was our starter his first time around, than I was when PeP got told where to go....

Before I start jumping on Wilf or anyone else, I want to hear Brad say himself he wants more money or that he is unhappy.

I bet Brad is happy as a clam right now, and for more reasons than just because he has been named our starter..

1) He is the Man and thats something he wanted to be again very badly, he even said so in the past and I don't see him getting that chance with many other teams out there.

2) He is almost guarented now to be able to finish his career where he first started ( something I'm very happy about) and has a solid chance of earning another Ring, and I'm talking Super Bowl Ring..

3) I'm sure Brad is financialy set in his life and when you get to be an older gentelman in life, some things have much more importance than cash.

4) Look at the Offensive line Childress and Wilf have put in front of Brad.....I'de like to be QB with them guys in front of me also...

5) Brad himself isn't going thru the growing pains of learning a new offense like some others may be. He has played versions of this type of O in both Washington and Tampa.....I bet he's kicking his heels in the air like a teenager at camp this year..

6) Don't think for a minute Wilf isn't taking care of him in other ways, free flights to and from MN, free places to stay, maybe even a few fat envelops stuck in his locker when he's not looking......Trust me, there's alot that can go on to keep someone very happy, without making a contract issue out of it..

But I would say Brad deserves to be paid correctly and only Brad can decide if he's happy or not......

I really think though, that Brad will be seeing and recieving some nice extras from MR Wilf in some way or form.......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Hey nothing is wrong with a bargain. K Rob was a bargain so is BJohnson.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Let's all sit back and take a deep breath, has anyone heard or seen anywhere that Brad himself is unhappy?...

To me thats the #1 question on this subject.

Don't get me wrong now, I'm a big time believer in Brad, I can even tell you this. I was more upset when we traded away Brad when he was our starter his first time around, than I was when PeP got told where to go....

Before I start jumping on Wilf or anyone else, I want to hear Brad say himself he wants more money or that he is unhappy.

I bet Brad is happy as a clam right now, and for more reasons than just because he has been named our starter..

1) He is the Man and thats something he wanted to be again very badly, he even said so in the past and I don't see him getting that chance with many other teams out there.

2) He is almost guarented now to be able to finish his career where he first started ( something I'm very happy about) and has a solid chance of earning another Ring, and I'm talking Super Bowl Ring..

3) I'm sure Brad is financialy set in his life and when you get to be an older gentelman in life, some things have much more importance than cash.

4) Look at the Offensive line Childress and Wilf have put in front of Brad.....I'de like to be QB with them guys in front of me also...

5) Brad himself isn't going thru the growing pains of learning a new offense like some others may be. He has played versions of this type of O in both Washington and Tampa.....I bet he's kicking his heels in the air like a teenager at camp this year..

6) Don't think for a minute Wilf isn't taking care of him in other ways, free flights to and from MN, free places to stay, maybe even a few fat envelops stuck in his locker when he's not looking......Trust me, there's alot that can go on to keep someone very happy, without making a contract issue out of it..

But I would say Brad deserves to be paid correctly and only Brad can decide if he's happy or not......

I really think though, that Brad will be seeing and recieving some nice extras from MR Wilf in some way or form.......
    I was pretty upset when we got rid of him the first time around as well. He is a solid QB and played well for us. I am a big believer that he has what it takes to be our starter. Unfortunately he may never make the HOF because of stats. Looking at the entire picture, he deserves recognition. I also agree if he is unhappy, he would approach it professionally (unlike others) to the organization. Brad is a first-class act in the NFL and a strong leader.

Here is a question to ponder, if Johnson gets this raise everyone seems to be demanding for him this year. Then next year the coaches feel Jackson is ready, should johnson then take a paycut because he is again the back-up?
    You republican whore!

Interesting question. That's probably something they would have to contemplate. Make an addendum to the current contract giving him the raise while he is the starter. Personally, I'm not sure how it works but it doesn bring up an interesting point.

Prophet Guest

That isn't unique to any contract. If there is a new contract it would be structured based on how they see his role in the future. Any agent would try to get the signing bonus because the rest of the contract is worthless anyway, if they don't need his services they let him walk. Hell, you could write up a $4M signing bonus with a $2M base salary in yrs 2-3 and give him $50M in year four so the press can say he has a $58M+ contract, even though he has as much of a chance of seeing the $50M payday as Les Steckel has of coaching the Patriots to a SB victory.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I thought prophets ate doves!
    I agree with the prophetic omniscient one. Besides I like Crow.Tastes like chicken!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    I thought prophets ate doves!
    I agree with the prophetic omniscient one. Besides I like Crow.Tastes like chicken!
    I think the closest our Prophet comes to that is eating an occassional Dove bar.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast