Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Brad Johnson proves he’s still got it

[size=18px]Brad Johnson proves he’s still got it[/size]

by Keith Jarrett, KJARRETT@CITIZEN-TIMES.COM
    published May 11, 2006 12:15 am

Between an induction ceremony for the Owen High Sports Hall of Fame last weekend and hosting the Eblen Charities celebrity golf tournament that bears his name, Johnson also found time to sign a lot of autographs and catch up with old friends.

In addition to playing 36 holes in the Brad Johnson Celebrity Golf Classic Tuesday at The Cliffs at Walnut Cove, Johnson served as the post-round master of ceremonies, handing out prizes and glad-handing hundreds of players.

Johnson, 37, should be accustomed to hectic surroundings.

After beginning last season as quarterback Daunte Culpepper’s backup with the Minnesota Vikings, Johnson was thrust into the starting lineup when Culpepper went down with a season-ending knee injury against the Carolina Panthers on Oct. 30.

Inheriting a dysfunctional team beset with controversy and a head coach on the verge of being fired, Johnson took over a 2-5 team and led them to a 9-7 record.

Now, with a new coach (Brad Childress) and the starting job secured after Culpepper’s trade to Miami, Johnson is excited about heading into his 15th NFL season.

“Every year is a new beginning and especially this season with a new coach,” Johnson said. “We have gotten off to a good start. We have to learn his new system, and we’ve had one mini-camp and will have another this weekend.

“We made some great moves in free agency, and we’ll soon find out about how good the draft picks are. I’m excited and looking forward to the season.

“My body feels great, and I would like to play at least three more seasons.”

After Tampa Bay benched Johnson less than two seasons after the Black Mountain native led the Buccaneers to their only Super Bowl title, he signed with the Vikings as insurance last season.

He then showed the NFL he could still play by throwing for 12 touchdowns in nine starts and helping turn Minnesota from a laughingstock to a playoff contender.

That increased his career record as a starter in regular-season games to 58-30 (65 percent), the second-best winning percentage (trailing only Brett Favre) among active quarterbacks.

“Last year was a chance to revive my career,” Johnson said. “I kind of let the past speak for itself.”

While not referring to Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden directly, Johnson hinted that the Bucs’ philosophy of unloading veteran offensive players after the Super Bowl was not a wise move.

“Just because certain coaches make decisions doesn’t always make it right,” he said. “Everyone who left Tampa — (Joe) Jurevicius made it to the Super Bowl (55 catches with Seattle), Keyshawn (Johnson) had a pretty good year (71 receptions with Dallas) and Keenan McCardell (70 catches for San Diego).

“The list goes on. It’s unfortunate what happened, but I got a chance to play last year and went 7-2 as a starter. I think that and my career stuff speaks for itself.”

Johnson’s work with Eblen Charities, which includes the golf tournament and an auction Wednesday night at Grove Park Inn that drew more than 1,000 people, helped raise more than $300,000 that will help WNC people in need.

“Brad is an asset to this community,” said Charities founder Joe Eblen, who used to officiate games when Johnson was the quarterback at Owen High.

“The time and effort he puts in to help us and Owen is just incredible. He does everything he can to give back to the community.”

Contact Keith Jarrett at 828-232-5867 or via e-mail at [email protected]

Brad Johnson proves he’s still got it

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Brad Johnson proves he’s still got it

That increased his career record as a starter in regular-season games to 58-30 (65 percent), the second-best winning percentage (trailing only Brett Favre) among active quarterbacks.
    That says something. We can play with stats all we want, but as a starter on many different teams he is second-best in winning percentage. This isn't possible if you are a horrible QB. The Vikings are fortunate and deserve credit for grabbing BJ. Imagine if the whole Culpepper ordeal would have happened and we would have J.T., McMahon and some rookie leading the way. Yes, the FA and draft would have played out differently without BJ on the roster, I'm just thankful that he is on the roster. A little easier on the fans during the transition period.

Redrouster is offline Pro-Bowler

Brad is a rock! He is a solid player. I don't know if he can last three more seasons. I am concerned though, if Brad goes down. We don't have another like him to lead the team like Brad did last year.

MightyVikes12391 is offline Pro-Bowler

Ada boy Brad johnson

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

I always said he was okay for another year or two. But nobody believed me. At least this shows someone else agrees with me! :lol:
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

yeah brad!

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

“My body feels great, and I would like to play at least three more seasons.”
    Well, if he really can play for three more seasons, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think Brad is a great, solid, veteran football player who still has "it" and the desire to win and lead a football team. He's capable.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Prophet Guest

"FedjeViking" wrote:
    I always said he was okay for another year or two. But nobody believed me. At least this shows someone else agrees with me! :lol:
    There has always been a group of fans that weren't in panic mode about the QB situation next year. There isn't a person alive that thinks BJ is the long-term solution...although some thought they knew that and the people at Winter Park didn't.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    That says something. We can play with stats all we want, but as a starter on many different teams he is second-best in winning percentage. This isn't possible if you are a horrible QB. The Vikings are fortunate and deserve credit for grabbing BJ. Imagine if the whole Culpepper ordeal would have happened and we would have J.T., McMahon and some rookie leading the way. Yes, the FA and draft would have played out differently without BJ on the roster, I'm just thankful that he is on the roster. A little easier on the fans during the transition period.
    Prophet, is this your tribute to Favre, or your form of a compliment :grin:

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"Prophet" wrote:
    "FedjeViking" wrote:
    There has always been a group of fans that weren't in panic mode about the QB situation next year. There isn't a person alive that thinks BJ is the long-term solution...although some thought they knew that and the people at Winter Park didn't.
    Maybe, but it seems I always saw the posts from those against him. I always saw him as an asset with winning a Superbowl. He can keep the team focused when we get there. :lol:
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast