Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jnhutchi is offline Waterboy

Brad Johnson -- Future Hall of Famer?

Vikings Fans,

Below is an article that I wrote a little over a week ago for www.usavoice.org.
    I thought you all might be interested in reading it.
    I'm making the case that QB Brad Johnson deserves to be in the Hall of Fame once he retires.

Thanks,
    James Hutchinson

After watching the Minnesota Vikings defeat the Washington Redskins 19 – 16 on Monday night, I have to ask the following question –

Is there a more under appreciated player in the NFL than Vikings quarterback Brad Johnson?

On Monday night in Washington, Johnson got his revenge on a Redskins team that unceremoniously cast him aside after the 2000 season.
    Johnson completed 16 of 30 passes for 223 yards, 1 touchdown, and no interceptions against a Redskins defensive unit that was one of the best in the league last season.
    Whenever Johnson faced a tough 3rd and long situation, he would come up with a beautiful pass for a 1st down, knocking the wind out of the Redskins’ sails and demoralizing the hostile Washington faithful.
    In fact, Johnson was a remarkable 10 for 15 in 3rd down situations and would have had even more impressive stats if Vikings WR Troy Williamson hadn’t dropped 3 perfectly thrown passes.

It’s not like this performance was anything new for Johnson.
    He has simply been the embodiment of cool, quiet efficiency throughout his career and Monday night was no exception.
    Johnson’s impressive 66-43 career record as a starter is 3rd best among active quarterbacks with more than 50 starts.
    Perhaps even more impressive, Johnson is the only QB in NFL history to complete over 60% of his passes for 10 straight seasons.
    How can this guy be the 40th highest paid QB in the league?

Most people like me who follow the NFL were very surprised last season when the Vikings almost made the playoffs after a disastrous 1 – 5 start, especially after the love boat fiasco and the loss of star QB Dante Culpepper midway through the season to a severe knee injury.
    If the Vikings could only win 1 or 2 games with an All-Pro like Culpepper at QB, how could they possibly do any better with backup QB Brad Johnson?
    How foolish we all were.
    Johnson led the Vikings to a 7 – 2 record during the rest of last season and they barely missed the playoffs.
    You could make a strong case that Johnson should have been the 2005 NFL MVP.

The simple fact is that Johnson is a winner.
    A humble, unflamboyant winner, but a winner nevertheless.
    Johnson is an excellent game manager who takes calculated risks and makes very few mistakes.
    A team with Johnson at QB is almost always in a position to win when the 4th quarter rolls around.
    On the eve of his 38th birthday, Johnson is still one of the best QBs in the NFL.

The sportswriters who vote for Pro Football Hall of Fame induction should take a long, hard look at Johnson’s career.
    He is definitely worthy of consideration, for some of the reasons already mentioned.
    In addition, Johnson’s got the requisite Super Bowl ring, which he received after leading the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to a 48 – 21 dismantling of the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII.
    Johnson’s career stats compare very favorably to another future Hall of Famer, Green Bay QB Brett Favre.
    No, Johnson isn’t a flashy gun-slinger like Favre and he doesn’t receive Favre’s adoration by the NFL Sunday morning talking heads.
    Most sportswriters consider Favre a first ballot Hall of Famer and they can certainly make a very justifiable case.
    Sportswriters love gaudy statistics, and Favre’s 53,785 career passing yards and 396 career touchdown passes certainly qualify, especially when compared to Johnson’s 26,021 career yards and 157 touchdown passes.

However, career passing yards and touchdown passes are probably two of the most misleading and overvalued statistics for a NFL quarterback.
    Johnson only got to play in 9 games during the first 4 years of his career (during his first stint in Minnesota), which has definitely hurt his overall career production.
    Favre only threw 4 passes his rookie season in Atlanta, but became a starter almost from the beginning when he got sent to Green Bay in his second season.
    If Green Bay starting QB Don Majkowski hadn’t gotten hurt in the 3rd game of the 1992 season, who knows how many passing yards Favre would now have?
    It certainly wouldn’t be as high as 53,785.
    The fact is that there are often a lot of intangibles involved, like luck, when discussing a QB's career passing yards and touchdown passes.

Johnson certainly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Brett Favre.
    Johnson’s 60.5% career winning percentage is almost as impressive as Favre’s 64.2% (138 wins, 75 losses).
    Johnson's career QB rating of 84.4 is almost as high as Favre's 85.9.
    In addition, Johnson’s touchdown-to-intercept ratio (157 touchdowns, 102 interceptions – 1.53) is actually slightly better than Favre’s (396 touchdowns, 260 interceptions – 1.52).
    Finally, Johnson's career completion percentage (61.8%) is better than Favre's (61.4%).
    These are probably the 4 most important categories for measuring a quarterback's performance over a career and Johnson more than holds his own when compared to Favre.

Will Brad Johnson ever get the recognition and respect that he deserves as a great QB?
    Probably not, at least not until he’s been out of the game for a few years.
    Around the year 2020, perhaps a few old sportswriters will finally gain an appreciation for that Brad Johnson guy who calmly and proficiently led his teams to victories more often than not.
    Maybe then Johnson’s bust will be on display in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Brad Johnson -- Future Hall of Famer?

Absolutely not.

You need to change the game, or you need astronimical numbers. Both get you in for sure, one or the other your rolling the dice.

The HOF isn't for very solid football players it is for HOF football players. No way Brad Johnson gets into the HOF, perhaps a SB with the Vikings would help. If it ended now.....no way.

Sorry him being hurt is part of the package. One of the reason Favre has the numbers he does is his streak of playing through injury or not being injured at all. You can't say well TD's and Yards are misleading and if he wasn't hurt.......... and percentages are even more misleading then actual TD's and Yards....You throw four passes and complete three your have a 75% completion percentage, does that get you into the HOF?

Well written and a good read, but never going to happen.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

very very nice read and you make some very vaild points.
    It will be interesting to see how the rest of the league views Brad when it comes to his time.
    Honestly, I dont believe you will see him in HOF, but I do think that he deserves to be.

I have never see those stats he has compared to those of Farve.
    That is impressive!
    The biggest thing I see holding Johnson back are his sheer numbers his percentages are very good but his numbers arent that large.
    157 TD's versus 396.
    at that pace brad would have to play 30 years in the NFL to even get close to the numbers that Farve has put up.

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

I agree with Del Rio.
    Johnson's name won't even come up unless he gets a SB ring with the Vikes.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Prophet Guest

Enjoyed your spiel, but my first reaction is that there is no way he would be in the HOF if he were to retire today.
    If he won a few more SBs he would have a chance in a decade.

Gift is offline Coordinator

I think it would cheapen the HOF.
    Del Rio said it best.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Wow, for such a long post I got a short answer:

No

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    Absolutely not.

You need to change the game, or you need astronimical numbers. Both get you in for sure, one or the other your rolling the dice.

The HOF isn't for very solid football players it is for HOF football players. No way Brad Johnson gets into the HOF, perhaps a SB with the Vikings would help. If it ended now.....no way.

Sorry him being hurt is part of the package. One of the reason Favre has the numbers he does is his streak of playing through injury or not being injured at all. You can't say well TD's and Yards are misleading and if he wasn't hurt.......... and percentages are even more misleading then actual TD's and Yards....You throw four passes and complete three your have a 75% completion percentage, does that get you into the HOF?

Well written and a good read, but never going to happen.
    I agree completely that as of now, he isn't in the hall of fame. If he wins another super bowl, more than likely he will be in the hall of fame. 2 super bowl wins with seperate teams makes a huge difference on a ballot.

As of now, no.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I think we all think the same way here.
    I have always liked and always will like Brad.
    It was very disturbing for me when we traded him to Wash.
    As far as the way the HOF ballots are concerned at this time I would have to say no.
    Not that he doesn't deserve it becasue I think stats are given heavy consideration.
    I think BJ has the stats that matter.
    But when it comes down to it that's not what everyone looks at.
    Like you say, they look at TDs, yardage and how many games played.
    We all know there are intangeables to the game but it's not how it is voted.
    I don't think there are any questions whether or not Favre deserves to get in.
    He's had a great career.

I do think if by some chance BJ can lead this team to the SB this outlook can all change.
    1 SB is no reason to give someone the HOF status.
    That would mean Trent Dilfer would get in.
    But if he can lead a no name or superstar team to the promise land I would think people would have to give him careful consideration.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

There's no doubt that Brad Johnson is under appreciated, but he's definatley not a hall of famer.

If Jim Marshall isn't in the hall of fame, there's no way in hell Brad Johnson will make it.

(unless he somehow wins another Superbowl, then he might have a SLIM chance)
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast