singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Brad Johnson: Efficiency expert

[size=13pt]Brad Johnson: Efficiency expert[/size]

Last update: September 07, 2006 – 5:54 PM

Brad Johnson hasn't lasted 15 seasons in the NFL because of his flashy style. He has been happy to leave the plays that turn up on the nightly highlights for others. What has kept Johnson around this long is an efficiency level that has helped him put together a résumé that includes a Super Bowl title and two Pro Bowl berths.
    If this efficiency were to be summarized with only one statistic, it would be this: Johnson holds the NFL record with 10 consecutive seasons of more than 60 percent completions.

"I'm very proud of it," Johnson said of a run that began in 1996 during his first stint with the Vikings. "You're efficient with the ball, you're not creating turnovers, you're completing balls and throwing it away [when necessary]."

Johnson extended the streak last season. After taking over for injured Daunte Culpepper, he completed 62.6 percent of his passes and helped the Vikings rebound from a 2-5 start with a 7-2 finish.

New Vikings coach Brad Childress is counting on Johnson's efficiency and savvy to ease the transition to the West Coast scheme. That's the same style Johnson ran with the Buccaneers when they won the Super Bowl in 2002.

Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said Johnson has looked very good.

"With what we're doing right now, I would say he's very comfortable with it," Bevell said. "We're just trying to clean up little things."

Johnson expects the comfort level to grow for everyone.

"I think the biggest thing was just getting through minicamps," he said. " 'This is our system, this is how we call the plays.' I'm nodding my head, 'Yes sir, yes sir, yes sir. How do you want it exactly?' Then you've kind of got to get a feel for each other, how the course of the season goes and make adjustments on the run."

judd zulgad

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Brad Johnson: Efficiency expert

That's what we're looking for from good ol' B-Rad. Heres to a couple ore seasons of expertise, and tutellage for T-Jax. I pray he can see some of the same success.
    -Sno

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

brad has never really gotten the recognition that he deserves and what i like most about him is that he dont care about it, he is a winner no matter where he played and always been effcient and smart, the best one i can only think of to teach and work with t-jack and get him ready when the time comes....
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Brad Johnson is the true meaning of Class Act.. He has been a great QB in the league for several years, he has a SB Title, and a couple of Pro Bowls to add to his list.. You add that with the 10+ years of completing 60% or more of his passes, and he is a first ballot HOF in my book.. Lead the way to Miami BJ..

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

i agree with you 110 % and withthe talent we have this year on players that can and will catch the ball, this could be his best year yet on completetions and leading us to miami...he will be a future HOF
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE