Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Johnson

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Brad Johnson

Those of you forget the little things that are done that win and lose games. Brad Johnson s a good leader. He may never have the stats the make the HOF but there are the intangeables that people forget about. Such as turnover rate. For the people that brought up the Giant game do you remember how many times he was hit? How many times he was hit hard? Everytime he held onto the football. Something Pep has trouble doing. You also forget the drives he drove the team and Edinger missed the FG. He also drove the team in the 4th quarter when it counted. He kept the team with decent field position.

People can bring in all your little fancy stats (Jeremy I wish you would point out where you get them from) but look at the other things too. It takes a team to win. BJ just happened to perform better last year than Pep IMO. The bottom line is he had a calming effect on the team whereas in essence helped them play better. The defense rose to the occasion too. Was that all because of BJ? Who knows? The players and coaches seemed to think he had a big part to do with that. I guess those of you here that bash BJ know how things work better than the players do. I wish I had that kind of intuition. Also, remember that BJ has a winning % over 60% in his career. A lot of that is managing the game as the QB. That's 3rd best in NFL history.

That being said, if they do get another QB I wouldn't mind if it were someone to challenge Brad for the job. I feel very confident in him to get the job done but it is always good to have competition. You see what players are all made of.

One piece of advice since I know people like Jeremy will try to slam me. Read my whole post and look at the entire picture before you bash me. If you want to debate I'm all for it. Just don't put words in my mouth. Don't read anything more into it than what I typed.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Brad Johson

"skum" wrote:
    Remember.. This season we added Steve Hutchinson - and we have Matt Birk back - that should give Brad Johnson some more time in the pocket and also it should bring him a running-game.. that hopefully he can rely on..

We also have added a new offensive system that he have won a Superbowl in.. and we also have added a defensive system - he had when he won the superbowl..

In the new system Brad Johnson would fit much better as it rely's more on small passes.. he dosnt need to throw the deep ball.. so he's arm wont be a factor.
    Amen.

Jeremy, read that VERY carefully.

While BJ isn't the best starter out there right now, he is much better than you and alot of others are saying he is.

Remember, last year, our offensive line was non-exsistant. Favre, Steve Young (in their primes) wouldn't have been much better, and obviously Culpepper couldn't either. Their running game... Wait, did I say running game? HA! WHAT running game?! Our defense and special teams, as you've said, kept us alive.

But don't shoulder the blame on BJ. With no offensive line and no running game.. not to mention the offensive penalties we had last year.. -=shakes head=-

Before you start spouting stats comparing BJ and Vick, lets wait at least another year and see how our o-line and running game come along. Oh yeah, you forgot a minor fact in your stats.. The Falcons led the league in rushing yards. They HAD a running game. A big one at that.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

t_13 is offline Rookie

why not just be confident in him? it wont hurt and youll be a happy person. optimism is the key

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I would take BJ over Culpepper in the new WCO any day of the week. BJ brought us out of the cellar and made us a contender again. Some say that it was our defense that played better as well, that is true, but maybe they played better because they knew they had a better chance of winning with a proven leader behind center like BJ.

Jeremy is offline Starter

"ejmat" wrote:
    Those of you forget the little things that are done that win and lose games. Brad Johnson s a good leader. He may never have the stats the make the HOF but there are the intangeables that people forget about. Such as turnover rate. For the people that brought up the Giant game do you remember how many times he was hit? How many times he was hit hard? Everytime he held onto the football. Something Pep has trouble doing. You also forget the drives he drove the team and Edinger missed the FG. He also drove the team in the 4th quarter when it counted. He kept the team with decent field position.
    He didn't drive the team down there. He was set up with good feild position by the defense off turnovers and did squat with it. That's how he played most of the year, it's pinch, pinch, pinch and punt. If you can't move the chains when you are asked to throw the ball you are doing a bad job as a QB, magical intangables or not.

You may think driving the offense down one time in 4 quarters to only come away with a feild goal is some kind of an impressive feat, I however do not. BJ only played decent against bad teams. Go look up the total yards of offense that game against the Giants, it was horrendous.

There is a long list of QB's that don't turn the ball over when they get hit. Everyone is just so used to Culpepper and his small hands, it makes it seem like a lot more than it is.

"ejmat" wrote:
    People can bring in all your little fancy stats (Jeremy I wish you would point out where you get them from) but look at the other things too.
    www.espn.com and www.nfl.com...... Where else?
    I do look at the other things. Defense and special teams carried us. Johson did very little other than not throw picks against bad teams. The guy is really overrated.

"ejmat" wrote:
    Also, remember that BJ has a winning % over 60% in his career. A lot of that is managing the game as the QB. That's 3rd best in NFL history.
    Most overated stat in football = QB win/loss record. QB is only one of many factors in a football game. How you can credit one player with wins and losses is beyond me. It makes about much sence to me as kicker win/loss record or RB win/loss record.

It ranks up there with history of win/loss between two teams. That stat is really only for bragging rights between rival teams. It really has no effect on the outcome of the game. None of the players from the 60's, 70's and 80's are even on the teams anymore. Most of the players from the 90's have moved on too.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Well the question is if not Brad...than let me ask you this?

Whom should play? J.T O'Sullivan? Mike McMahon?

Let it go, Brad is our QB get over it and give the man a break he's our best chance at this point to win. The guy is old and might not be a Peyton Manning that puts up the numbers...He wins he has a ring, that's all that matters and to me that's what we need here in Minny.

If you don't like it jump on the Colt bandwagon.

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

BJ is the MAN! And you want to know why he is the man?? Because he is the quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings of whom I am a huge fan. With our new running game that I'm hoping we'll have now with a good o-line, he will be moving chains along with cTaylor. He may not, and probably won't be, pro bowl bound, but he will get the job done.

Jeremy is offline Starter

"Formo" wrote:
    Before you start spouting stats comparing BJ and Vick, lets wait at least another year and see how our o-line and running game come along. Oh yeah, you forgot a minor fact in your stats.. The Falcons led the league in rushing yards. They HAD a running game. A big one at that.
    His numbers in those areas were bad. Who should I compare them to? You are probally only going to find his numbers to be better than guys like Alex Smith, Klye Orton ect....

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

But what doesn't help his numbers is the fact that we couldn't run for first downs to save our lives. Of course defenses are going to be able to stop what they know is definately coming at them.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

"Jeremy" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    His numbers in those areas were bad. Who should I compare them to? You are probally only going to find his numbers to be better than guys like Alex Smith, Klye Orton ect....
    Exactly what are you trying to prove, Who cares about numbers...Would you rather us lose and Brad put up 4000+ Yards and 25+ TD's or win and have so so numbers...Get over yourself man.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast