Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Johnson

Jeremy is offline Starter

Brad Johnson

A lot of poeple claim Brad Johnson it a good "game manager". I think this is just there way of pumping him up with some kind of intangabe that can't be proven or verified, just because they really like him. In the NFL the coaches all the plays, other than the ocacational audible. Game management is really a reflection of plays called by the head coach or o-coordinator, not anything the quarterback has done.

With that in mind, there is some "game management" with the way a quarterback throws on 3rd and 4th down. A quarterback's "game management" boils down to how well of a job he does keeping the drive alive and the chains moving when passing on those downs.

For the 2005 season, on third and fourth down Johnson completed 55.6% of his passes. He conveted 29.5% of 3rd and 4th down attempts when passing. The guy flat out can not move the chains when asked to. I think this is why Childress keeps refering to him as the starter "for now".

Many claim that Johnson is a good decision maker and he can read a defense. Good indicators of the ability to make decisions and read defenses is performance on 3rd downs, when blitzed, and in the red zone. On 3rd downs, NFL teams basically know you are passing and the defenses are at their most creative to stop the pass. Performance on blitzes shows the QBs ability to make decisions under pressure and find the open man in a very short time. Performance in the red zone shows what he can do with a short field in critical situations.

IN 2005, Johnson's numbers in those areas were less than impressive.

3rd down - Att 85 Comp 48 Pct 56.5 Yards 505 TD 2 Int 1 (Rating 76.8)
    Blitz - Att 108 Comp 59 Yards 657 Pct54.6 TD 3 Int 2 (Rating 74.5)
    Red Zone - Att 38 Comp 20 Yards 170 Avg 4.47 TD 11 Int 2 (Rating 82.2)

They are much lower than or about equal(depending on the catagory) to that of a certain QB from Atlanta that almost everyone seems to rag on for his lack of passing ability. Mike Vick's statistics in those areas for the 2005 season are as follows.

3rd down - Att 107 Comp 58 Yards 721 Comp 54.2 TD 4 Int 3 (Rating 76.1)
    Blitz - Comp 137 Att 79 Yards 897 Comp 57.7 TD 9 Int 3 (Rating 90.2)
    Red Zone - Att 50 Comp 25 Yards 186 Comp 50.0 TD 12 Int 1 (Rating 90.5)

Can we get off the Brad Johnson bandwagon now?

Brewtal is offline Starter

Re: Brad Johson

Yeah ummm, I'm sure that ring on his finger proves he would be much worse then a rookie QB this season.

Hmmm Couldnt move the chains, yet went 7-2, how does that work?

"Brewtal" wrote:
    Yeah ummm, I'm sure that ring on his finger proves he would be much worse then a rookie QB this season.
    Tems win Super Bowls not QB's. Tampa was the number one defense in the NFL when Johnson got his ring. That was also 3 seasons ago, he was benched in Tampa and no team in the NFL would give him a starting gig.

"WinonaVike" wrote:
    Hmmm Couldnt move the chains, yet went 7-2, how does that work?
    Defense and special teams carried the Vikings.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

In my mind Brad Johnson is not a guy thats going to win you a game, but he probably won't lose you the game either. He's a safe QB that runs the offense. Specializing in quick reads and short passes (of course last year that may have been dictated more by the poor protection he got). If you're not dominate in other aspects of the game, Brad is not going to pull something out for you. He's not going to bring a team back from a big point differential, but hopefully he won't be the reason why you're in a hole.

He's the best we've got right now and he can do his part to help us start putting a decent all around performance on the field. As the vikings go through their plethora (yes I said plethora) of changes this year, at least you've got a known entity with Brad that will hopefully play with a minimum number of mistakes allowing the rest of the team a chance to do their job.

A lot of guys on this forum are looking for basic fundamental football (as has been lacking for many years/decades in MN). Childress seems to have this philosophy and appears to be pushing hard for a team concept vs individual stars. He has not gone agressively after any star skill player, and don't think he will unless he can find one in the draft.

I also believe the QB position is a huge liability for MN right now. BJ goes down and are options are pretty damned bleak. Childress needs to find someone soon to start grooming for a franchise QB. He may not like any of his choices to this point which is why he hasn't acted, but hopefully he will find someone in the draft with that potential.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I personally think he was a little overhyped too..

And I wish we had a different QB..

But what can ya do??

"tastywaves" wrote:
    In my mind Brad Johnson is not a guy thats going to win you a game, but he probably won't lose you the game either. He's a safe QB that runs the offense. Specializing in quick reads and short passes (of course last year that may have been dictated more by the poor protection he got). If you're not dominate in other aspects of the game, Brad is not going to pull something out for you. He's not going to bring a team back from a big point differential, but hopefully he won't be the reason why you're in a hole.
    Pittsburg

"Jeremy" wrote:

Can we get off the Brad Johnson bandwagon now?
    I'll be the first to say when Brad was starting last season and so many were screaming for him to be the starter over Daunte I wasn't sold on him. I was quick to point out that his wins came against teams with losing records.His wins came against the Lions (twice), the Rams, the Browns, and the Packers, who were all lousy last season. The win against the Giants had NOTHING to do with the play of Johnson, 'cause he and the rest of the offense did NOTHING against New York. It was the three returns that won that game. The win over the Bears was a game where the Bears SAT their starters. So if you look back at his seven victories, it wasn't all that impressive. Many seem to forget we NEEDED late season wins to make the playoffs and we lost to Pitt and Baltimore last year when he was at QB, and that he was the QB against Carolna who spanked us. We were in the game when Daunte went out. But that's ALL water under the bridge. Brad Johnson IS the QB of the Vikes . If it's controversy you want, don't worry. If the Vikings draft a QB in the draft, be it Cutler( who I think will be a bust), Young, Jacobs, or whoever, there WILL be fans screaming for him to start over Johnson. Such is life as a fan of any sports team! What can you do...

Go Vikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x73TklEcEIBlomjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsaDc3OWc xBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTA2Ml84NA--/SIG=13i259gik/EXP=1145741431/**http%3a//i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/jeffri_chadiha/11/15/chadiha.vikings/Brad-Johnson-11.15.jpg[/IMG]
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I personally think he was a little overhyped too..

And I wish we had a different QB..

But what can ya do??
    Hope that they pick up a guy that can develop into competent QB in the draft. A team may let go of a QB when they get to the salary cap date, so FA is a possibility. They could trade for one too.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast