Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Brad Childress Press Release - Sunday 08/19/07

"cogitans" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    Look...it's pre-season...and I never put much stock in what happens at this point.
    4-0 or 0-4, it doesn't matter yet.
    This is all about who is going to make the team.

However, it should also be about seeing if our units are gelling.
    The Defense is obviously playing at a higher tempo this season...boosted no doubt by their success last season.
    The offense, however, has a long way to go.

Unlike many here, I simply cannot get on the Brad Childress Love Train.
    I hated his play calling last season.
    While we all made the "he didn't have the people" excuses last season (I did too), how long are we going to ride that pony?
    maybe he'll prove me wrong.
    maybe he'll magically put together an unstopable juggernaut to sweep aside all opposition...

...or maybe he'll pull a Ted Cottrell (great on paper, horrible on the field).

As for Childress holding any aces...I wouldn't bet heavily on that.
    He didn't display that tendency last season, and without a complete restructuring of the Offensive decision making staff (i.e. Bring in a REAL Offensive Coordinator and let HIM call plays), I'm not getting my hopes up.

Long and short is that I'm still not sure how to gage our strength this season.
    Defensively, I think we can hang with anyone.
    Offensively....we'll see.

Caine
    Thanks for putting everyone in their place.

You're right, as we said it's the pre-season and it means absolutely nothing at all. But it's all we have at this point to look for as small clues as we can find as to how we can expect the team to play in the coming season.

As I said earlier in this thread, all we really can have is hope, because we have nothing rational to build on in assessing that we'll become a good team offensively all of a sudden.

However I'll keep trying to look for the positive, and search for where improvement might be found. And as for Childress, Jackson, Rice etc., even if they do not make me get any hot flashes at this point, I'm not going to give up on either of them just yet. They get the benefit of the doubt for at least this season. Then lets get back to the evaluation in December.
    Wow, this thread has some gems in it so far.
    Two good posts my friends.

Preseason games are nothing more than a avenue to evaluate the talent/scheme they are putting on the field against another teams talent/scheme at game time speed.

We as fans, just like the coaches, in a more limited capability, can look at those players and schemes and get indicators of what we might have on the field this year, however, we won't really know until week one.

If anybody is looking at these preseason games in any other way that than that then you are insane or you don't have a clue when it comes to how a NFL organization gets ready to field a team and should go back to your Madden game.
    (Sorry Maddenites, couldn't resist getting that one in
    ;D)

I for one like the indicators I am seeing, with the exception of our Kicking.......... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Brad Childress Press Release - Sunday 08/19/07

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    Umm, it's preseason and none of us have seen what our offense is or isn't capable of. Our RB's are already getting notoriety and it showed how our WR's, with what little action they had, could catch the ball in the middle of the field 3 yds up and have enough room to gain about 4 or 5 more. (the same gameplan as last year, only it's starting to work...) Seems a lot of people here correlate being unbiased as being pessimistic. Such is not the case. We're not going to be the NFC incarnation of Indy or San Diego, but we will be leaps and bounds better than last year. Maybe it's me, but there seems to be a bit of a moxy on this team, especially defense, but offense seems to stride out there confident, knowing quietly that we're better than we're given credit for.
    Good post!

Gold star awarded!

ESPN had two of our plays in the top ten of the NFL this weekend, AP's run and I think the Sharper INT (maybe the Greenway INT).
    I hope it was the Greenway INT...
    Sharper did nothing but stand there and let the ball hit him in the numbers...that and lay a mad juke on the wily Chad Pennington.

I liked Greenway's though...The kid appears to have his head in the game and seems to have that drive to make big plays.
    He runs around like a mad man out there.
    Two things.....

Sharper, along with the whole D squad did a good job desguising what they were doing so Pennington would throw it and hit him in the numbers.......

Greenway wouldn't have even had the chance to jump the route if the other DL weren't collapsing the pocket and if Roy wasn't draped all over Pennington forcing him to make a stupid throw.

The defense appears to be working as a unit this year against the pass and the run and not just one or two guys.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345