Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Brad Childress Press Release - Sunday 08/19/07

"singersp" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    I'm still concerned about our Offense's inability to put up points, convert 3rd downs, or sustain drives.
    After 2 preseason games we've only managed to average 222 yards per game (30th in the NFL, but #32 - Indy - with 204, has only recorded 1 game thus far).
    Worse, our Offense has managed only 1 TD thus far to go along with the 4 field goals while the Defense has managed to score 4 TD's.

I am, needless to say, more than a bit concerned by what appears to be shaping up to be the exact same crappy offense we saw last season...
    I hope I'm wrong.

Caine
    Same here. I made mention of the offense in another thread. We can't count on the defense scoring our points for us all season long.

Granted, we've only seen our staring offensive unit for a small portion of those games with a limited play sheet, but I haven't got that warm fuzzy yet.

IMO, T-Jack needs more time on the field than what he has had to further hone his skills.
    It's true that all we can have is hope.

I understand as much as that what Childress does works on paper. And the timing between TJack and the WR so far has looked decent.

But before we get to the regular season it's seriously difficult to judge. We need to find out if they can game plan, and if they can show something surprising or innovative. Or on the other hand we're going to have to look forward to another season of run-run-pass-punt. Whether that is the fault of play-calling, execution or something completely different.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"cogitans" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    I'm still concerned about our Offense's inability to put up points, convert 3rd downs, or sustain drives.
    After 2 preseason games we've only managed to average 222 yards per game (30th in the NFL, but #32 - Indy - with 204, has only recorded 1 game thus far).
    Worse, our Offense has managed only 1 TD thus far to go along with the 4 field goals while the Defense has managed to score 4 TD's.

I am, needless to say, more than a bit concerned by what appears to be shaping up to be the exact same crappy offense we saw last season...
    I hope I'm wrong.

Caine
    Same here. I made mention of the offense in another thread. We can't count on the defense scoring our points for us all season long.

Granted, we've only seen our staring offensive unit for a small portion of those games with a limited play sheet, but I haven't got that warm fuzzy yet.

IMO, T-Jack needs more time on the field than what he has had to further hone his skills.

I understand as much as that what Childress does works on paper. And the timing between TJack and the WR so far has looked decent.

But before we get to the regular season it's seriously difficult to judge. We need to find out if they can game plan, and if they can show something surprising or innovative. Or on the other hand we're going to have to look forward to another season of run-run-pass-punt. Whether that is the fault of play-calling, execution or something completely different.
    We also need to see if they can properly adjust their game plan when the chips are on the table & the Vikings are behind or the game strategy they are playing, both offensively & defensively isn't working.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"cogitans" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:

I hope I'm wrong.

Caine

Guys, the game against the Jets with the defense scoring so much, limited the time our offense was on the field. While it was great to watch, it did not give our offense the work it needed. This game against the ditch-hawks will give us a better chance to evaluate our Offense. Childress has kept the playbook and formations simple as to not give any opponents a real look at our offense. Trust me, Brad has some ace's up his sleeve. We aren't going to play those cards this week either, but hopefully the O can get some momentum this week against a playoff team. Good Offense will continue to develope and with our defense we'll be fine.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Childress has kept the playbook and formations simple as to not give any opponents a real look at our offense. Trust me, Brad has some ace's up his sleeve.
    That's what was said last year.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thats it.
    If we get Ferggy I am starting a blame Bevell Thread.

;D

Q: Are you looking to pursue him or are you just keeping a mind of what’s out there?

We are; you know (Darrell Bevell) has a pretty good feel for him from his days in Green Bay, and many of our scouts did when he was coming out. I’ve never had a chance to sit down with him eyeball to eyeball, so I enjoyed our conversation this afternoon.
    Hmmmmm, almost sounds as if TJ (our QB) will be able to audible........ Ohhhh myyyyyyy Gooodnnneeesss.

If we see a coverage that we think we can exploit, we’re trying to call a play against that coverage. If they don’t give it to us, the quarterback has a conversion option to go somewhere else with it.
    Some people don't like it but I look a this whole year as a building year towards the future.
    Sure I wanna win as much as the next guy but this is what I am hoping happens every week.

Q: How pleased are you with the progression of the team since you opened camp?

A: As I’ve said before, I think it’s incremental. I can’t tell you it’s leaps and bounds, but I see us getting better at things every week. This week it happened to be that I saw us taking a good look at the run game. I think it makes a difference that a guy like Steve Hutchinson is back in there. I thought our running backs took good looks at those, and you don’t do anything without those guys covering people up in the front and somewhere the wide receiver is out on the outside engaging people. I thought we made some progress there this week.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The right side of the line played better it seems. At least good enough that the QB didn't have to pick himself off the turf after each pass play and they did enough to allow AP to pop off a 40+ yarder off the right side of the line.

I would like to see more short passes on first and second down to Wade and Shank as well as more screen passes to the RB's on downs 1 & 2. I think we will see more of that in the last few preseason games.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Look...it's pre-season...and I never put much stock in what happens at this point.
    4-0 or 0-4, it doesn't matter yet.
    This is all about who is going to make the team.

However, it should also be about seeing if our units are gelling.
    The Defense is obviously playing at a higher tempo this season...boosted no doubt by their success last season.
    The offense, however, has a long way to go.

Unlike many here, I simply cannot get on the Brad Childress Love Train.
    I hated his play calling last season.
    While we all made the "he didn't have the people" excuses last season (I did too), how long are we going to ride that pony?
    maybe he'll prove me wrong.
    maybe he'll magically put together an unstopable juggernaut to sweep aside all opposition...

...or maybe he'll pull a Ted Cottrell (great on paper, horrible on the field).

As for Childress holding any aces...I wouldn't bet heavily on that.
    He didn't display that tendency last season, and without a complete restructuring of the Offensive decision making staff (i.e. Bring in a REAL Offensive Coordinator and let HIM call plays), I'm not getting my hopes up.

Long and short is that I'm still not sure how to gage our strength this season.
    Defensively, I think we can hang with anyone.
    Offensively....we'll see.

Caine

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    ,,,Unlike many here, I simply cannot get on the Brad Childress Love Train...
    Caine, get off the Eeyore train.
    I can't think of anyone, with the possible exception of Marr
    , that is on the Brad Childress love chain.
    There is one true hater (ccthebest) and the majority of fans are just calling people out when they are ripping on the head coach after one season.
    Like has been discussed to death on these boards there are plenty of first year HCs that ended up being successful that floundered their first couple seasons as there are also some that have immediate success...the minority.
    It is completely illogical to call Childress a flop after one season and it is completely illogical to call him a success after a season.
    Personally, I like what I see in the direction the team is heading and I am a supporter and giving him time to either show he is a good HC or a flop.
    Most recently, I endured plenty of seasons watching Meathead coach like, well, a meat head.
    I can give the new coach and his staff time to develop the team.
    Nestled within these conversations are the 'we need all deep passes' crowd that is a crowd that is as nauseating as picturing Joe Buck making love to his goat.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    ,,,Unlike many here, I simply cannot get on the Brad Childress Love Train...
    Caine, get off the Eeyore train.
    I can't think of anyone, with the possible exception of Marr
    , that is on the Brad Childress love chain.
    There is one true hater (ccthebest) and the majority of fans are just calling people out when they are ripping on the head coach after one season.
    Like has been discussed to death on these boards there are plenty of first year HCs that ended up being successful that floundered their first couple seasons as there are also some that have immediate success...the minority.
    It is completely illogical to call Childress a flop after one season and it is completely illogical to call him a success after a season.
    Personally, I like what I see in the direction the team is heading and I am a supporter and giving him time to either show he is a good HC or a flop.
    Most recently, I endured plenty of seasons watching Meathead coach like, well, a meat head.
    I can give the new coach and his staff time to develop the team.
    Nestled within these conversations are the 'we need all deep passes' crowd that is a crowd that is as nauseating as picturing Joe Buck making love to his goat.
    You've actually pictured that???

No wonder you stay drunk all the time!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    Look...it's pre-season...and I never put much stock in what happens at this point.
    4-0 or 0-4, it doesn't matter yet.
    This is all about who is going to make the team.

However, it should also be about seeing if our units are gelling.
    The Defense is obviously playing at a higher tempo this season...boosted no doubt by their success last season.
    The offense, however, has a long way to go.

Unlike many here, I simply cannot get on the Brad Childress Love Train.
    I hated his play calling last season.
    While we all made the "he didn't have the people" excuses last season (I did too), how long are we going to ride that pony?
    maybe he'll prove me wrong.
    maybe he'll magically put together an unstopable juggernaut to sweep aside all opposition...

...or maybe he'll pull a Ted Cottrell (great on paper, horrible on the field).

As for Childress holding any aces...I wouldn't bet heavily on that.
    He didn't display that tendency last season, and without a complete restructuring of the Offensive decision making staff (i.e. Bring in a REAL Offensive Coordinator and let HIM call plays), I'm not getting my hopes up.

Long and short is that I'm still not sure how to gage our strength this season.
    Defensively, I think we can hang with anyone.
    Offensively....we'll see.

Caine
    Thanks for putting everyone in their place.

You're right, as we said it's the pre-season and it means absolutely nothing at all. But it's all we have at this point to look for as small clues as we can find as to how we can expect the team to play in the coming season.

As I said earlier in this thread, all we really can have is hope, because we have nothing rational to build on in assessing that we'll become a good team offensively all of a sudden.

However I'll keep trying to look for the positive, and search for where improvement might be found. And as for Childress, Jackson, Rice etc., even if they do not make me get any hot flashes at this point, I'm not going to give up on either of them just yet. They get the benefit of the doubt for at least this season. Then lets get back to the evaluation in December.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast