Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

Brad Childress, ex QB coach

I dont understand how an ex QB coach should have put so much faith in a million dollar QB, to get us to the superbowl. Maybe a HC without all the QB experience BC has, but not one who coached McNabb.

Did he really think BJ could get it done? Or was BJ just filler till he could hand pick a rookie and coach him to stardom?

And how can you only give 1 million and change to your QB starter and expect to have a good backup? I mean come on, Mike McMahon, JT, Brooks??? Youd think an ex QB coach could spot at least a little talent.

Also, what experience does BC have in play calling? Cause, quite frankly, he sucks. Terrible 3rd down conversions, and even worse red zone calls. Yeah yeah dropped passes and penalties hurt but come on. Is his ego so big hes just going to keep calling plays, and not Get our OC to? Or would our OC be that much worse. BC needs free time to actually coach. Is he really that much better then Tice? What were Tice's numbers his rookie year as HC? Not that I like Tice, but I thought BC could at least match his numbers.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Brad Childress, ex QB coach

"CCthebest" wrote:
    I dont understand how an ex QB coach should have put so much faith in a million dollar QB, to get us to the superbowl. Maybe a HC without all the QB experience BC has, but not one who coached McNabb.

Did he really think BJ could get it done? Or was BJ just filler till he could hand pick a rookie and coach him to stardom?

And how can you only give 1 million and change to your QB starter and expect to have a good backup? I mean come on, Mike McMahon, JT, Brooks??? Youd think an ex QB coach could spot at least a little talent.

Also, what experience does BC have in play calling? Cause, quite frankly, he sucks. Terrible 3rd down conversions, and even worse red zone calls. Yeah yeah dropped passes and penalties hurt but come on. Is his ego so big hes just going to keep calling plays, and not Get our OC to? Or would our OC be that much worse. BC needs free time to actually coach. Is he really that much better then Tice? What were Tice's numbers his rookie year as HC? Not that I like Tice, but I thought BC could at least match his numbers.
    Lots of head coaches call their own plays it has nothing to do with ego.

I honestly think he wanted to use Daunte Culpepper and at the same time he has Wilf wanting a strict regime that cleans up the team and takes care of buisiness. So when friction arose with Culpepper I think he had to take a stand and he did, and then he had to settle for BJ. He plays him now IMO because he is the best we have.

Do not dismiss the redzone screwups so easily. Yeah yeah comon doesn't quite cover the impact a dropped pass, a penalty, and a turnover can have.

We have won 4 games. Do you think Brad Childress has a script of good plays and a script of bad ones lol. How can he call a game like Seattle and then turn around and be at fault in San Fran when he is using the exact same plays?

If you want to crunch Tice Vs. Childress numbers take into account the roster. What is more impressive to you doing more with less or doing absolutley NOTHING with more (TICE.) Apples and Oranges.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Ziggy problem gave him a 3 or 4 year timeframe to win.
    For us fans we just got a taste this year.

I have repeatedly made the point that Brad hasn't been given a raise/extension because he won't be here next year.
    Will it be Tavaris or another free agent.
    Not sure but this offense isn't made up of the players Brad wants on the field.

Watch, and boy is that painfull (3 points against San Fran),
    what happens as this team learns/grows under his system.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Gift is offline Coordinator

"Del" wrote:
    Lots of head coaches call their own plays it has nothing to do with ego.
    Do not dismiss the redzone screwups so easily. Yeah yeah comon doesn't quite cover the impact a dropped pass, a penalty, and a turnover can have.
    But the redzone play calling is atrocious.
    3 & goal from the 8 yard line?
    Lets run six yard button hooks.
    I think some of it is recievers not knowing where they need to be but a coach should fix that by week 9.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

But Childress had twice the money, both to himself, and to spend on players, then Tice ever dreamed of. We spent alot on linemen, and the only one worth it is Hutch. Mckenny isnt. Wasted too much on the line for it not to pan out for us. I sure hope it doesnt take 3 or 4 years for them to gel.

Man, I really need to proffread my posts. im god's worst typist

Del Rio Guest

"CCthebest" wrote:
    But Childress had twqice the money, both to himself, and to spend on players, then Tice ever dreamed of. We spent alot of linemen, and the only one worth it is Hutch. Mckenny isnt. Wasted too much on the line for it not to pan out for us. I sure hope it doesnt take 3 or 4 years for them to gel.
    What are you talking about money for. Tice had one of the most potent offenses in the entire NFL handed to him. Vetran players who know the game.

Here are some stats for those of you who continue to call Childress' play calling predictable:

Passing

1st

94ATT
    2nd

74ATT
    3rd

84ATT
    4th

6ATT

So predictable would be passing on 3rd down. He passed more on 1st then 3rd that is the opposite of predictable.

Rushing

1st

91ATT
    2nd
    69ATT
    3rd

12ATT
    4th

1ATT

First of all find me a team that doesnt run a majority of its rushes on first down. Second of all our team has a 5 yard per carry average on 1st down, so yes it is predictable and they still cannot stop us.

For those of you counting that is 91/94 rush/pass ratio on first down how more unpredictable do you guys want it?

GIFT: Are all of our WR's HB's running 6 yard routes? No they are not. I am sure Childress doesnt draw up a play and say ok everyone go 6 yards and curl. There are various routes at various depths and the QB, the WR and the LINE have to make the play. How in the name of GOD is it Brad Childress' fault if Brad Johnson throws to a guy 6 yards deep? EVERY pass play has a check down. Weather Brad sucks and made a bad read or he didnt have time to read because McKinnie was getting beat outside is not Brad Childress' fault.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Good post, Del...and great research!

But why are you talking about the weather in the last sentence there?
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"CCthebest" wrote:

I am of the opinion that BJ was kept in the lineup as an interim QB to train up Tarvaris.
    Their offseason actions support this theory.
    They tried to shore up the lines, got some LB help, got an FB, decent RB, etc. and put the QB position on the back burner.

The whole Foley argument that Del Rio brought up regarding Tarvaris is interesting.
    The main comments I've seen regarding Tarvaris from Childress is that he has to be able to 'man-up' and learn to play through injuries (when relevant).
    I seriously doubt this theory though, Foley (Fred Flintsone) is a questionable character, but the move for Tarvaris in the second was supposedly approved the the 'triangle of authority'.
    There is no reason for me to believe that Tarvaris isn't still being groomed for the future.

Where the master plan fell short, apparently, is when the offense has refused to produce for an array of reasons (BJ, receivers, line, play-calling, new schemes...and interaction of these factors).
    Now, if the BJ experiment of grooming the future QB falls through the cracks AND the coaches decide that TJ isn't ready to start then the Vikings will, without a doubt, be looking for a new QB to either buy some more time waiting for Tarvaris or to potentially take the reigns.
    No matter how you slice it Tarvaris (plug any other QBs name in here) will have to prove to the coaching staff that they are the man for the job.

BJ has had some BJ-like games this year and some pathetic games.
    Childress himself said that the turnovers from BJ last week were from two blindsides and a tipped ball (it doesn't matter if he said it, it is what happened).
    The fact that BJ is playing inconsistently doesn't take away the fact that he does have a lot of NFL experience and game management experience to relay on to Tarvaris.
    Whether it's a W or an L if Tarvaris isn't learning something in the process it is on his own shoulders for not taking the initiative to be a life-long learner.

Personally, I would be really surprised if Bevell isn't shit-canned this year and a real OC isn't brought in that has earned his way up through the ranks.
    I know you have been saying that Childress has ego problems since the first day he was signed.
    I don't buy it.
    He wants to win and he has a plan and he is implementing that plan.
    A loss to the tune of 3-9 is nothing.
    They can easily correct that.
    If Bethel Johnson would have caught that duck and if Travis Taylor wouldn't have committed that penalty we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    So is football, every week there's something and the blame game goes on...similar to corporate america.
    Find a scapegoat.

The field general on the offense is the QB.
    Rightfully or not, they get much of the blame.
    Reality is the HC should take the brunt of the blame, and he did if you look at his press conference, and he need to look at the OC, line coaches, receiving coaches, QB coach...etc. and rectify the problem.
    If Bevell had a spine (I'm guessing he doesn't, obviously), he would call a spade a spade and call Childress on his supposed lack of creativity or adjustments on the O.
    There is no doubt in my mind that Bevell is sitting next to Childress (probably on his lap) when they are analyzing what happened and they are brainstorming solutions.
    A good leader utilizes the resources around him and is ultimately responsible.
    Childress took the responsibility for the problems and put them on his own shoulders (very unDenny-like) but the question that remains to be answered from a fan's perspective is whether he is effectively utilizing the rest of the coaching staff.
    It is early in his tenure, the answer will surface eventually.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Del Rio Guest

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Good post, Del...and great research!

But why are you talking about the weather in the last sentence there?
    Of course I was! You know me cajun Potatoe Patato Potayto Poetatoe

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Yeah great posts Del, and Gift, your sig is insane. Come on....
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast