Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Is Brad Childress Any Better Than Mike Tice?

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "greenway_alltheway" wrote:
    from Whack the Pack

We started out 2 - 5 last year and then we were 4 - 5 also, so isn't that the same record!

It was Tice's 4th year as headcoach not his 1st year, and Tice's record his 1st year in 2002 Vikes were 6 - 10!
    So you can not compare Tice in his 4th year to Childress in his 1st year!

How do you think we would have improved a couple of games over last year, I see no reasoning to prove that!
    Tice started last year with a QB that was second to Payton Manning for league MVP, a QB that forced his way out, and Brad has lost something between last year and this year the wear and tear has gotten to him.

And we lost our # 1 receiver in training camp because of off the field issues, how is that Childress's fault and does it affect the offense?
    Yes!

By the way Tice said when he took over as headcoach of the Viking's he would have us in the Superbowl by his 3rd season!
    He made the playoffs once in 4 years as a wild-card!

Tice had his time it is done, I will give Childress 4 years like I gave Tice!
    And a question for you were you saying this when the Vike's were 2 - 0?
    Or when they were 4 - 2 earlier this year?

Once Johnson was starting last year we went 7-2.
    You can say they were all against $hitty teams, but they were the same types of teams that we have been losing to lately.
    I'm not comparing how we did in Tice's first year compared to Brad's first year, those are different teams.
    I'm comparing the direction Tice had us going at the end of last year compared to how Brad has us going this year.
    I don't see how anyone couldn't say that we didn't upgrade our talent level.
    We made significant upgrades on defense, the O-Line, and the running game.
    The only spot we didn't upgrade was the WR position.
    Nobody can act like we aren't more talented this year.
    Maybe I was crazy for expecting this team to improve on their win total from last year when we had a more talented team.
    The way a lot of people talked about Tice you would expect us to pickup a couple of games just by getting rid of him, even if we hadn't improved our talent level.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think Tice is Bud Grant or anything, I just don't think we are doing any better under Childress, in fact we are doing worse.
    Granted, Childress is only halfway through his first year, but the team is getting worse under him, not better.
    If you say experience is what he needs, then shouldn't the team be getting better as the year goes on and not worse.
    It's almost like the more the team gets used to how Childress wants things done the worse we do.
    Hopefully that trend will not continue.

I do think we are far from out of this thing.
    I think we have a good enough team to overcome Brad's conservative play calling.
    Hopefully he will figure out that a three yard pass on third and 10 is not the answer.
    If we get a holding penalty on first and 10 you can pretty much kiss our chances of getting a first down goodbye.
    We often don't even try to pickup the first down.
    I also think we will be better off once Childress figures out that it's alright to take some shots into the endzone once in a while.
    Even down in the redzone he will have us running routes well short of the endzone or a first down.
    About the only time he likes to air it out is on 4th and 1.
    I will tell you who is doing better this year though, and that is the Eagles offense.
    They are #1 in the league right now after finishing #19 last year.

It doesn't matter what anybody post in response to your posts you have your mind made up that you don't like Childress as the coach, so just come out and say it instead of beating around the bush.

But I will ask AGAIN were you saying that when the Vike's were 2 - 0?
    Were you saying that when the Vike's 4 - 2!

Vikes start 0 - 1
    Vikes start 1 - 0
    Childress is better

Vikes 0 - 2
    Vikes 2 - 0

Childress is better

Vikes 1 - 2

Vikes 2 - 1

Childress is better

Vikes 1 - 3
    Vikes 2 - 2

Childress is better

Vikes 1 - 4
    Vikes 3 - 2

Childress is better

Vikes 2 - 4
    Vikes 4 - 2

Childress is better

Vikes 2 - 5
    Vikes 4 - 3

Childress is better

Vikes 3 - 5

Vikes 4 - 4

Childress is better

2005 Vikes
    4 - 5
    2006 vikes
    4 - 5

Lookes like right now it is a tie, so explain to me again how Tice is better than Childress based on records!

Well I guess we'll have to see if Childress closes the year out like Tice did.
    I was comparing 9-7 to 4-5 with more talent, but if you want to compare 4-5 to 4-5 then we'll have to see how Childress finishes the year.
    You ask what I was saying after we were 4-2, I was satisfied. I wouldn't say I was esctatic or anything.
    We did finish the year very strong last year and added a bunch of talent so I expected us to have a great year.
    I have been disappointed with the offense all season long.
    I fully expected us to beat Washington with Portis barely playing and Carolina without Steve Smith.
    I didn't think Childress was some kind of coaching guru for having us at 4-2.
    Some people have commented about my Philly offense comment being unfair.
    Maybe that was an unfair comparison, but do you ever remember Philly's offense being #1 under Childress.
    By the way no $hit I don't like Childress as the coach.
    I can't see how you would even say I was beating around the bush.
    I think I've been pretty clear on my stance from the get go.

I wanted Linnehan and wouldn't mind Martz. Getting a seasoned coach is usually what you do when you have a talented roster, not someone who has never, ever called plays and led the 25th ranked rushing offense the year before. He had McNabb to run his dunk and dump offense with his mobility and vision. Even with their crap receivers McNabb still managed to win a lot of games. I think before calling for childress' head, the Vikes need a mobile QB who isn't almost old enough to be my dad and some people who can catch the ball. I honestly think Culpepper would have been a far better QB than BJ.

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

I am willing to let the Childress project continue. The fact that we have no decent recievers is not totally his fault. Who knows what may have been had K-Rob had any control. The QB situation was also largely taken out of his hands. I don't think he can be judged until we see T-Jack begin his tenure as QB, next year, I hope. But if Brad plays as badly this week as he has, I hope to see the hook on him. If Childres leaves Brad in when Brad stinks it up, I'll be a wonderin. Hey, Jack the River might be available for head coach next year! Or Dennis Green! (just kiddin)

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"DeathtoDenny" wrote:
    I wanted Linnehan and wouldn't mind Martz. Getting a seasoned coach is usually what you do when you have a talented roster, not someone who has never, ever called plays and led the 25th ranked rushing offense the year before. He had McNabb to run his dunk and dump offense with his mobility and vision. Even with their crap receivers McNabb still managed to win a lot of games. I think before calling for childress' head, the Vikes need a mobile QB who isn't almost old enough to be my dad and some people who can catch the ball. I honestly think Culpepper would have been a far better QB than BJ.
    I've never understood the "seasoned" coach route. Hiring Schottenheimer and Vermeil over and over again hasn't really worked as far as winning Super Bowls, so why not give someone else a try?

antoniopierce58 is offline Training Camp

brad childress is a pathetic idiot who cant evaluate talent for crap.

trading baskett for mcmullen was freaking pathetic.

Not getting anyone after trading culpepper and letting brad johnson handle the qb duties.

Not getting a tight end who can stretch the field in the west coast offense like they are supposed to (Wiggins and Kleinssaser are horrible and thats the fact) Wiggy slow cant block only catches dump off's, anyone can do that.
    Kleinsasser, I dont know why everyone says he is a beast he sure plays like a powder puff.

getting ben leber instead of will witherspoon.

drafting chad greenway when you could have traded up and gotten more talented people in the draft.

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

Dude, I hope you're just venting. There is no proof that Baskett will be better than McMullen, long term, and short term, I see no diff, considering how little McMullen has played. Culpepper forced his way out, and I never trusted his ability to read defenses. Childress' mistake with Wiggins is not USING him. Wiggy is a forgotten man, and THAT is BradCs fault. Ben Leber has played well. Greenway was injured, and that can't be predicted. Chill dude.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"antoniopierce58" wrote:

Not getting anyone after trading culpepper and letting brad johnson handle the qb duties.

Not getting a tight end who can stretch the field in the west coast offense like they are supposed to (Wiggins and Kleinssaser are horrible and thats the fact) Wiggy slow cant block only catches dump off's, anyone can do that.
    Kleinsasser, I dont know why everyone says he is a beast he sure plays like a powder puff.

drafting chad greenway when you could have traded up and gotten more talented people in the draft.

You are so irrational.

Why are you even a vikings fan? You seem to hate the team... What about the team do you like? Tarvaris? is that it?

Please enlighten us. What would you do at this time that will make this team oh so much better? You're the apparent genious..

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Childress vs. Tice: Upgrade or Downgrade?

Culpepper traded: UPGRADE

Draft day: Vikings make all selections on time. UPGRADE

Free agents like Chester Taylor and Steve Hutchinson signed: UPGRADE

Koren Robinson waived after driving drunk, off the wagon: UPGRADE

No Vikings scandals this year: UPGRADE

Vikings defensive line, linebackers, and secondary playing great against the opponent's rushing attack: UPGRADE

Vikings defense playing poorly against passing game: SAME AS BEFORE

Vikings routinely making tackles in the open field: UPGRADE

Vikings special teams playing well: UPGRADE

Good game management by head coach results in victories (example: vs. Redskins): UPGRADE

Vikings passing offense really bad: DOWNGRADE

Vikings offensive line can't give QB enough time to throw: DOWNGRADE

Vikings rushing offense good: UPGRADE

Overall: UPGRADE

Go Vikings!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"antoniopierce58" wrote:

trading baskett for mcmullen was freaking pathetic

Are you serious? Look at the guys he's drafted, Tavaris(young but very talented), Grifith has played great, Blue hits as hard as Ronnie Lott. We havn't seen much of Greenway but very promising.

Believe it or not if you watch the film Billy has played good ball. He catches the football. He had two TD's last week. Can't really complain considering his playing time and Quaterback situation.

Culpeppers not working out to well in Miami maybe we are lucky to get a big talented Center in Ryan Cook. You can't make a judgement on that cause he hasn't played yet. Money hungry injured QB's arn't good for our franchise.

Wiggins is fine, i would like to get a TE sometime soon too. But right now wiggins will work, he's a good football player, you hate to sit a guy who's in his prime.

Ben Leber was everything the Charger fans told us he was. SOLID. Better then we're used to here, and our defense is playing to win games.

More talented, watch greenway run his drills at the combine. Mad talent. It's easy to say that because he's out, but say that he went uninjured, Napo gets hurt he gets his chance to shine and he does. Not so untalented huh?

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"antoniopierce58" wrote:

I think that was a Freudian slip.

You have no idea how Greenway will do in the NFL he could be the best linebacker the Viking's have ever had or he could be a bust but to say they didn't get talent at their draft position is ridiculous!

They traded Baskett an undrafted (32 teams passed for 7 rounds) rookie for a 3rd round pick who is a 3 year veteran and that is terrible?
    McMullen has caught 11 passes this season he was thrown to 12 times that is a pretty gol 'darnit good ratio compared to the rest of our receivers!

By the way Baskett has dropped more passes than Troy Williamson!
    That is why he is now 5th on Philly's receiving core!

Who was left to get a QB after we traded Brad?
    Name me one FA QB that was still available that was worth getting after the trade?
    Don't say Drew Brees because he already had agreed to terms with N.O and that is why Miami went after C-Pep!

I don't know if you have watched the games but Leber has been playing very well and is not a problem having him on the Viking's!

You are still living in preseason, maybe make your arguments up to date!

Chester Taylor was brought in by Childress instead of Edgerrin James lets see how that is working out.

Edge 2006
    200 rushing attempts
    584 yards
    2.9 average

Taylor 2006
    193 attempts
    783 yards
    4.1 average

Looks like Childress knew what he was doing when he thought that Taylor had talent!

Did you really expect him to cut Kleinsasser and Wiggins before this season?
    Man at least be realistic with your complaints!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast