Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Is Brad Childress Any Better Than Mike Tice?

[size=13pt]Is Brad Childress Any Better Than Mike Tice?[/size]

Posted Nov 14th 2006 5:17PM
    by Michael David Smith

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is Brad Childress Any Better Than Mike Tice?

Yet another blogger that has an IQ hovering in the double-digits.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Last year we were 9-7 with a bunch of off field distractions.
    Once Johnson started playing we were like 7-2.
    We had a bunch of good off season pickups, thereby increasing our talent level significantly.
    Yet somehow we are on pace to finish with a worse record.
    Obviously Childress is not a step up from Tice.
    You have to figure if we would have kept Tice we would have improved a couple of games over last year just by the addition of talent.
    I've never seen our offense look worse than this season.
    There is no way anyone can act like we are better because of Childress.
    With the offseason moves we made we should have been better no matter who the coach was, but yet we are doing worse.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Personally, I don't see how someone could make a for real judgement considering this is only Brad's first year. Half year at that.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"greenway_alltheway" wrote:
    We had a bunch of good off season pickups, thereby increasing our talent level significantly.
    You have to figure if we would have kept Tice we would have improved a couple of games over last year just by the addition of talent.
    With the offseason moves we made we should have been better no matter who the coach was, but yet we are doing worse.
    We were 2-5 with Tice against good opponents. Then we went 7-2 against teams that sucked, that were at the end of the line and were already out of playoff contention. I was happy about that, and thought that it would bode well for this year, but looking back it was nothing to be ecstatic about.

One of the biggest problems this year has been our receiver corps, which is a good bit different from last year. We lost Burleson and our only legitimate, consistent deep threat in K-Rob. IMO, that is where we did NOT upgrade this year, and it shows.

In order to judge a coach, you have to look at his record over a longer period of time. Tice went 6-10, 9-7, 8-8 and 9-7 or something like that with only one playoff birth. When you give a guy 4 years with the type of offensive talent that we had when C-Pep and Moss were clicking and he can't get over a mediocre record it's a problem. There is no rational way to judge Childress at this point. The man has only coached 9 games.

I say with a new system, new players, new coordinators, an undermanned receiving corps and a quarterback that has underperformed 4-5 isn't too gol 'darnit bad. Who knows, we may pull a 180 and do what we did last year. We were 4-5 this time last year too, and we DID end up 9-7. This season isn't over yet folks.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

We started out 2 - 5 last year and then we were 4 - 5 also, so isn't that the same record!

It was Tice's 4th year as headcoach not his 1st year, and Tice's record his 1st year in 2002 Vikes were 6 - 10!
    So you can not compare Tice in his 4th year to Childress in his 1st year!

How do you think we would have improved a couple of games over last year, I see no reasoning to prove that!
    Tice started last year with a QB that was second to Payton Manning for league MVP, a QB that forced his way out, and Brad has lost something between last year and this year the wear and tear has gotten to him.

And we lost our # 1 receiver in training camp because of off the field issues, how is that Childress's fault and does it affect the offense?
    Yes!

By the way Tice said when he took over as headcoach of the Viking's he would have us in the Superbowl by his 3rd season!
    He made the playoffs once in 4 years as a wild-card!

Tice had his time it is done, I will give Childress 4 years like I gave Tice!
    And a question for you were you saying this when the Vike's were 2 - 0?
    Or when they were 4 - 2 earlier this year?

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Acumen" wrote:
    Yet another blogger that has an IQ hovering in the double-digits.
    ROTF!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

We started out 2 - 5 last year and then we were 4 - 5 also, so isn't that the same record!

It was Tice's 4th year as headcoach not his 1st year, and Tice's record his 1st year in 2002 Vikes were 6 - 10!

How do you think we would have improved a couple of games over last year, I see no reasoning to prove that!
    Tice started last year with a QB that was second to Payton Manning for league MVP, a QB that forced his way out, and Brad has lost something between last year and this year the wear and tear has gotten to him.

And we lost our # 1 receiver in training camp because of off the field issues, how is that Childress's fault and does it affect the offense?
    Yes!

By the way Tice said when he took over as headcoach of the Viking's he would have us in the Superbowl by his 3rd season!

[/quote]

Once Johnson was starting last year we went 7-2.
    You can say they were all against $hitty teams, but they were the same types of teams that we have been losing to lately.
    I'm not comparing how we did in Tice's first year compared to Brad's first year, those are different teams.
    I'm comparing the direction Tice had us going at the end of last year compared to how Brad has us going this year.
    I don't see how anyone couldn't say that we didn't upgrade our talent level.
    We made significant upgrades on defense, the O-Line, and the running game.
    The only spot we didn't upgrade was the WR position.
    Nobody can act like we aren't more talented this year.
    Maybe I was crazy for expecting this team to improve on their win total from last year when we had a more talented team.
    The way a lot of people talked about Tice you would expect us to pickup a couple of games just by getting rid of him, even if we hadn't improved our talent level.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think Tice is Bud Grant or anything, I just don't think we are doing any better under Childress, in fact we are doing worse.
    Granted, Childress is only halfway through his first year, but the team is getting worse under him, not better.
    If you say experience is what he needs, then shouldn't the team be getting better as the year goes on and not worse.
    It's almost like the more the team gets used to how Childress wants things done the worse we do.
    Hopefully that trend will not continue.

I do think we are far from out of this thing.
    I think we have a good enough team to overcome Brad's conservative play calling.
    Hopefully he will figure out that a three yard pass on third and 10 is not the answer.
    If we get a holding penalty on first and 10 you can pretty much kiss our chances of getting a first down goodbye.
    We often don't even try to pickup the first down.
    I also think we will be better off once Childress figures out that it's alright to take some shots into the endzone once in a while.
    Even down in the redzone he will have us running routes well short of the endzone or a first down.
    About the only time he likes to air it out is on 4th and 1.
    I will tell you who is doing better this year though, and that is the Eagles offense.
    They are #1 in the league right now after finishing #19 last year.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

from Whack the Pack

Yes!

Once Johnson was starting last year we went 7-2.
    You can say they were all against $hitty teams, but they were the same types of teams that we have been losing to lately.
    I'm not comparing how we did in Tice's first year compared to Brad's first year, those are different teams.
    I'm comparing the direction Tice had us going at the end of last year compared to how Brad has us going this year.
    I don't see how anyone couldn't say that we didn't upgrade our talent level.
    We made significant upgrades on defense, the O-Line, and the running game.
    The only spot we didn't upgrade was the WR position.
    Nobody can act like we aren't more talented this year.
    Maybe I was crazy for expecting this team to improve on their win total from last year when we had a more talented team.
    The way a lot of people talked about Tice you would expect us to pickup a couple of games just by getting rid of him, even if we hadn't improved our talent level.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think Tice is Bud Grant or anything, I just don't think we are doing any better under Childress, in fact we are doing worse.
    Granted, Childress is only halfway through his first year, but the team is getting worse under him, not better.
    If you say experience is what he needs, then shouldn't the team be getting better as the year goes on and not worse.
    It's almost like the more the team gets used to how Childress wants things done the worse we do.
    Hopefully that trend will not continue.

I do think we are far from out of this thing.
    I think we have a good enough team to overcome Brad's conservative play calling.
    Hopefully he will figure out that a three yard pass on third and 10 is not the answer.
    If we get a holding penalty on first and 10 you can pretty much kiss our chances of getting a first down goodbye.
    We often don't even try to pickup the first down.
    I also think we will be better off once Childress figures out that it's alright to take some shots into the endzone once in a while.
    Even down in the redzone he will have us running routes well short of the endzone or a first down.
    About the only time he likes to air it out is on 4th and 1.
    I will tell you who is doing better this year though, and that is the Eagles offense.
    They are #1 in the league right now after finishing #19 last year.

It doesn't matter what anybody post in response to your posts you have your mind made up that you don't like Childress as the coach, so just come out and say it instead of beating around the bush.

But I will ask AGAIN were you saying that when the Vike's were 2 - 0?
    Were you saying that when the Vike's 4 - 2!

Vikes start 0 - 1
    Vikes start 1 - 0
    Childress is better

Vikes 0 - 2
    Vikes 2 - 0
    Childress is better

Vikes 1 - 2

Vikes 2 - 1
    Childress is better

Vikes 1 - 3
    Vikes 2 - 2
    Childress is better

Vikes 1 - 4
    Vikes 3 - 2
    Childress is better

Vikes 2 - 4
    Vikes 4 - 2
    Childress is better

Vikes 2 - 5
    Vikes 4 - 3
    Childress is better

Vikes 3 - 5

Vikes 4 - 4
    Childress is better

2005 Vikes
    4 - 5
    2006 vikes
    4 - 5

Lookes like right now it is a tie, so explain to me again how Tice is better than Childress based on records!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Childress can't be graded until he makes remarkably smart or stupid decisions in key situations. Some people have already pointed out that he has thrown long on 3rd n short and ran on 3rd n long and they have a point. Yet, what about the fake fg call-everyone hailed him a genius but what if it didn't work? But still, I don't think this thread can really be taken seriously until midway through next season when we're 8-0.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast