Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Boo birds in the dome? Donkey Butts IMO.

I always love the "booing is my right as a fan" arguement.
    here is a fun article from earlier this year that addresses that issue, among many other.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/05/30/213316.php
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

That is an important point AW"root"beerZeus.
    It isn't like we are boing our own team when it is 3rd or 4th and 1, we stand up and cheer the team on.
    We want them to get the first down.
    The fans support the team in the tough occassion, when the team needs the support.
    The fan also gets loud to stunt the other team.

This isn't the opera with an unemotional audience, this is football.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Fair enough, I guess I just don't understand why you chose some of those particular times to boo.
    4th and 2 at the Detroit 3?
    The two games we had won up to that point were won by three points each.
    A field goal can make a lot of difference, and 2 yards is a long way on 4th down.
    And 4th and 7 is gol 'darnit near unmakable (or were you still booing from the previous play?).

The third and longs with a short check down pass I can't argue with.
    I wasn't fond of the calls either, but it wasn't enough to make me boo.
    I stayed optimistic.
    I haven't seen a lot of fumbles out of Taylor, so I can't bring myself to boo home for yesterday's either.
    On the 4th and 2, I boo'd the decision to kick the FG.
    I'd rather they make the gutsy call and go for the TD than settle for 3 - and put the ball into the hands of Eddie Drummond on the ensuing kick-off.
    Even if they fail, you have your defense on the field with the Lions facing 97 yards of green to get to the end zone.
    The one time they had the Lions backed up deep, the D nearly came up with the safety and held them to 3-and-out and a punt.

And I boo'd Taylor fumbling because the zebras made exactly the OPPOSITE call on the previous Lions possession when they ruled their WR didn't have possession and a loose ball wasn't a fumble.
    But somehow this one was.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I am one of the fans that hates booing your own team at games. There are two things that piss me off more than ANYTHING at a game and they are booing your own team and leaving the game early.

I can not STAND watching the clock run out in the 2nd half when we have horrible field position and hearing thousands of drunken idiots booing their own team that they should support. Sure, boo the refs. Boo the lions. Don't boo your own team unless under extreme circumstances (Matt Millen).

In my opinion, the booing of your own team is a sign to the players and coaches that you have given up on them. It's pretty much saying "hey vikings, if you don't shape up, i'm going to be one of those fair weathered idiots and leave early."

If your team is still in the game, then don't boo. period.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I always love the "booing is my right as a fan" arguement.
    here is a fun article from earlier this year that addresses that issue, among many other.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/05/30/213316.php
    Paying For The Right To Boo

One of my favorite defenses for booing and also one of the more popular ones is the notion that by purchasing a ticket a fan has also purchased the rights to boo whomever he wants whenever he wants if the quality of the game does not live up to his expectations. In case no little birdie has ever informed certain fans of this fact, booing is free. One can boo just as well at home sitting in front of the television and have the same impact on the game (i.e., none) as the guy in the upper decks bellowing furiously at players and officials who either cannot hear him or are ignoring him.

Paying for a ticket no more provides a fan with a license to boo than does buying a cup of coffee give me the right to then throw it on my server because I do not like the taste.

Furthermore, no fan should expect a competitive game full of stellar plays simply because it was the one he or she bought a ticket for. Nowhere on a ticket stub do the words "game guaranteed to be a memorable one" appear so this particular sense of entitlement carried around by fans has absolutely no basis in reality.

Perhaps the real person the fan should be booing is himself or herself for being so foolish as to spend good money on a game that has a strong likelihood of being of no higher quality than an American Idol marathon.
    He didn't address my position one iota in that lame attempt at humor.

Let me summarize:
    The Vikings exist to entertain ME (and you) - the FAN.
    I buy the ticket which allows them to exist.
    When I am not getting the value for my ticket, I am expressing my displeasure in the only manner which I, as a fan, have available to me at that moment.
    Later, I suppose, I chould choose NOT to buy a ticket for the next game or season, but at the time of a particular boo-worthy moment, I have no other method than my lungs.
    I am NOT trying to influence the game or the coach - I am a smart enough fan to know that that is not going to happen because I boo.
    I AM letting the coach or players know that they are not providing the entertainment value to me which is implied in the purchase of my ticket.

=Z=

To me, there's a clear difference between booing and being frustrated. Being a vikings fan means that you are going to be constantly frustrated throughout games. However, when you boo, you are showing the team that you are frustrated, something that they QUITE CLEARLY already know. Do you think they need people who SHOULD be supporting them making annoying noises at them to voice their displeasure? I'm sure that will boost team morale...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Fair enough, I guess I just don't understand why you chose some of those particular times to boo.
    A field goal can make a lot of difference, and 2 yards is a long way on 4th down.
    And 4th and 7 is gol 'darnit near unmakable (or were you still booing from the previous play?).

I stayed optimistic.
    I haven't seen a lot of fumbles out of Taylor, so I can't bring myself to boo home for yesterday's either.
    I'd rather they make the gutsy call and go for the TD than settle for 3 - and put the ball into the hands of Eddie Drummond on the ensuing kick-off.
    Even if they fail, you have your defense on the field with the Lions facing 97 yards of green to get to the end zone.
    The one time they had the Lions backed up deep, the D nearly came up with the safety and held them to 3-and-out and a punt.

And I boo'd Taylor fumbling because the zebras made exactly the OPPOSITE call on the previous Lions possession when they ruled their WR didn't have possession and a loose ball wasn't a fumble.

=Z=
    I have no problem booing the refs or the other team, so the fumble was a perfect time to boo (the refs).

I personally agreed with the decision to kick the field goal on 4th and 2, but had Childress decided to go for it instead, i wouldn't have booed his decision.

I just can't bring myself to boo my team.
    Maybe it is just me.
    I also can't bring myself to leave the game before the end, regardless of the score... but I'll save than rant for another post.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    To me, there's a clear difference between booing and being frustrated. Being a vikings fan means that you are going to be constantly frustrated throughout games. However, when you boo, you are showing the team that you are frustrated, something that they QUITE CLEARLY already know. Do you think they need people who SHOULD be supporting them making annoying noises at them to voice their displeasure? I'm sure that will boost team morale...
    It's not my job to boost the team morale of these millionaire athletes.
    If they don't have enough pride to work hard and give their best effort while being paid to play a game, then they should get a different vocation.

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

I stayed optimistic.

=Z=
    I have no problem booing the refs or the other team, so the fumble was a perfect time to boo (the refs).

I personally agreed with the decision to kick the field goal on 4th and 2, but had Childress decided to go for it instead, i wouldn't have booed his decision.

I just can't bring myself to boo my team.
    Maybe it is just me.
    I also can't bring myself to leave the game before the end, regardless of the score... but I'll save than rant for another post.
    I agree 100%.

Especially the leaving early part.. If you bought tickets to the game, then clearly there isn't anything more important going on that day that you have to RUSH to.

Prophet Guest

This topic would be a good segue into a 'true fan' thread.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast