Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Boo birds in the dome? Donkey Butts IMO.

i heard the boo's in the background.

to be honest i was cursing at my monitor as well.
    we really were doing nothing offencivly, and B.j was missing some wide open passes.
    i think i first heard the boo when he short hopped it to T.t in the right soft infront of the cb's.

but if you watch the replay's on nfl.. #4 best or 3 best play i think. the crowd noise is a constant from the time of the snap (01 on the play clock) till the time E.j runs the int into the endzone.. that must be one LOUD snap.. wonder if the crowd might hvae caused mix up assignments that led to the int?

DiGiTaL

edit: btw.. notice the boo's stopped and cheering followed and noone left?
    the boo's were to get some kinda change for this game.. and the cheers were the faith we still have!!

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Basically, the boo birds are saying, "please bring the crowd back around into this game, you are losing us fast here, resuscitate the fans please."
    That may be the message the crowd thinks it is sending but it can have a larger impact that that.
    It is a sign of non-support, and that can have a negative impact on the level of play for the home team.
    There is actually a decent amount of empirical data suggesting that when teams play in a supportive environment it affects their win-loss record.

It can also boost the morale of the opposing team.
    Visiting coaches and players always talk about "taking the crowd out of the game" to reduce the home field advantage.
    It must be nice to be a visiting team to the metrodome and know that you don't have to worry about taking the crowd out of the game... the crowd will do it themselves anytime we call behind.

Booing is a hostile act.
    It doesn't demonstrate disappointment or frustration, it demonstrates anger and hate.
    All that cheering we did in the forth quarter just isn't as meaningful when we spend the first three quarters booing them.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

petrodemos is offline Asst. Coach

players ought to use it as a motivation, and quit their whiniing.

so you expect everyone to cheer when williamson drops that ball? take off your blinders and open up your EYES!

bear fans booed a fumble at soldier field which ended the shutout the bears had going. 40-0 and they still cared is all that means.

booing is good for your health, it relieves your frustration on a team that gives you empty promises.

you act like if you boo youve signed a contract that binds you to be a fan of the packers. boo all you want IMO, your frustrated, let them know!

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"It is a sign of non-support, and that can have a negative impact on the level of play for the home team."

I dont agree with this.
    Booing is voicing your displeasure in the way playcalling, actual, play, or decisions being made in the game.
    I does not in any way show non support.
    If the crowd was silent from beginnging to end with no cheering or booing I would consider that non support.
    I have been to many Vikings/Tiwns games and have never booed at one in my life.

and yes the booing does seem to happen a little prematurely in the metrodome.
    But I think it is the fans saying "look we know you guys can play better now get out there and prove it!
    To me that isnt non-support.

edit: btw.. notice the boo's stopped and cheering followed and noone left?
    adctually I was amazed at how many ppl left after Leber got that TD with almost 3 minutes left in the game.
    A LOT of people headed for the doors.
    Thats about as close as I got to booing Sunday was at the crowd leaving the game

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Basically, the boo birds are saying, "please bring the crowd back around into this game, you are losing us fast here, resuscitate the fans please."
    That may be the message the crowd thinks it is sending but it can have a larger impact that that.
    It is a sign of non-support, and that can have a negative impact on the level of play for the home team.
    There is actually a decent amount of empirical data suggesting that when teams play in a supportive environment it affects their win-loss record.

It can also boost the morale of the opposing team.
    Visiting coaches and players always talk about "taking the crowd out of the game" to reduce the home field advantage.
    It must be nice to be a visiting team to the metrodome and know that you don't have to worry about taking the crowd out of the game... the crowd will do it themselves anytime we call behind.

Booing is a hostile act.
    It doesn't demonstrate disappointment or frustration, it demonstrates anger and hate.
    All that cheering we did in the forth quarter just isn't as meaningful when we spend the first three quarters booing them.
    Maybe all of us fans should be put in the corner for a Time Out.

Like digital said, I was in the same situation here at home watching.
    I was pissed at the lead that we didn't have and the fear of loss got to me.
    I wanted to see them score like they should have done earlier.

The teams play did change in the second half, we will have no way of knowing if it was the crowd. We got a W.

BTW, I have never liked the fact that the Boo Birds come out so quick in the dome.
    I am actually embarrassed when it happens.
    I was merely stating that the fans are emotional.

As far as the team, I would hope they aren't listening to any of that.
    Competitors compete, get their arses on the field and do so. The players say it all the time, media and fans don't know football, we have to play our game.
    They know this to be true.
    We are dealing with testosterone filled individuals, not bet wetting mammas boys.

Non-support to me is when your stands have seats unfilled, Viking fans keep coming back for more.

It doesn't make it an enjoyable experience to watch the game when everyone is booing around you.
    But even if you were Deaf, I don't think that game would have been enjoyable for the first 3 quarters.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    OK, what is wrong with some of the fans here in Minnesota?

*snip*

Don't get me wrong.
    I am not satisified with our offense right now either.
    But to start booing our team when it is still early in the game, and we are still very much in it... It is dissapointing to say the least.
    Here are some occasions when I lustily boo'd yesterday.

1st Quarter:
    4-2-DET3 (4:36) (Field Goal formation)
    PENALTY on MIN-C.Kluwe, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at DET 3 - No Play.
    4-7-DET8 (4:26) R.Longwell 26 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Loeffler, Holder-C.Kluwe.

2nd Quarter:
    3-8-MIN47 (12:55) B.Johnson pass short left to M.Moore to DET 49 for 4 yards (E.Sims).

3-7-MIN8 (2:20) J.Kitna up the middle for 8 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

3-11-MIN19 (1:56) (Shotgun) B.Johnson pass short right to M.Robinson to MIN 25 for 6 yards (E.Sims).

3rd Quarter:
    3-4-MIN32 (13:38) B.Johnson pass short left to T.Williamson to MIN 34 for 2 yards (D.Bly).

3-7-MIN49 (6:43) (Shotgun) B.Johnson pass short middle to T.Taylor to DET 44 for 7 yards (D.Bly) [J.Hall]. FUMBLES (D.Bly), RECOVERED by DET-K.Edwards at DET 44. K.Edwards to DET 44 for no gain (M.Birk).

I pay my money for a ticket.
    I have a right (which I exercise) to boo when I don't like what I see.
    The Minnesota Vikings exist for the entertainment value which is provided to fans like myself.
    When I'm not getting the value I expect, I will voice my displeasure.

If you'd like, I'll run down some of the occasions when I loudly cheered or screamed my lungs out while trying to disturb the Lions offense.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

"petrodemos" wrote:
    players ought to use it as a motivation, and quit their whiniing.

so you expect everyone to cheer when williamson drops that ball? take off your blinders and open up your EYES!

bear fans booed a fumble at soldier field which ended the shutout the bears had going. 40-0 and they still cared is all that means.

booing is good for your health, it relieves your frustration on a team that gives you empty promises.

you act like if you boo youve signed a contract that binds you to be a fan of the packers. boo all you want IMO, your frustrated, let them know!
    I don't remember ever saying that I expected everybody to cheer when Williamson dropped a ball.
    Perhaps you could find that quote of mine and post it here.
    I have obviouslyt been posting with my eyes closed and blinders on, so I may have missed it.
    I also wasn't sure when the players were whining about it?
    Maybe you could find that post too.

I was frustrated too.
    Just like every other vikings fan, I was pissed off that we didn't get a TD on the opening drive like we should have.
    I was angry that we were trailing the Lions in our house.
    Maybe I am in the minority here, but I have a problem booing my team.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    OK, what is wrong with some of the fans here in Minnesota?

*snip*

Don't get me wrong.
    I am not satisified with our offense right now either.
    But to start booing our team when it is still early in the game, and we are still very much in it... It is dissapointing to say the least.

1st Quarter:
    4-7-DET8 (4:26) R.Longwell 26 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-C.Loeffler, Holder-C.Kluwe.

2nd Quarter:
    3-8-MIN47 (12:55) B.Johnson pass short left to M.Moore to DET 49 for 4 yards (E.Sims).

3-11-MIN19 (1:56) (Shotgun) B.Johnson pass short right to M.Robinson to MIN 25 for 6 yards (E.Sims).

3rd Quarter:
    3-4-MIN32 (13:38) B.Johnson pass short left to T.Williamson to MIN 34 for 2 yards (D.Bly).

3-7-MIN49 (6:43) (Shotgun) B.Johnson pass short middle to T.Taylor to DET 44 for 7 yards (D.Bly) [J.Hall]. FUMBLES (D.Bly), RECOVERED by DET-K.Edwards at DET 44. K.Edwards to DET 44 for no gain (M.Birk).

The Minnesota Vikings exist for the entertainment value which is provided to fans like myself.

If you'd like, I'll run down some of the occasions when I loudly cheered or screamed my lungs out while trying to disturb the Lions offense.

=Z=

clap clap clap clap clap.

No Boos for good posts, and that is a great one, completely shows why I was screaming and cursing excessively throughout the whole first half.

You left out the referees being booed for the nonsafety. Which was a safety btw.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Booing is a hostile act.
    I respectfully disagree that it is a hostile act.
    It is an expression of displeasure in what the team who exists to provide me (and you and other fans) with entertainment is doing.
    To expect the fans to be all happy and rosie all game long when the clearly superior Vikings are losing to the Lions is ridiculous, bruddah!

I cheer loudly.
    I sing "SKOL VIKINGS" at the top of my lungs (I even won a spin on the Wheel of Fun yesterday for singing it).
    I scream and make noise all game long when the opposing team is on offense.
    I stand and raise my arms to exhort the crowd on all opposing 3rd-downs and I slap high-fives with the fans around me.

But I am going to BOO when I don't like what I see.
    That is my right as a fan.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Blog Entries

"AWZeus" wrote:

1st Quarter:

2nd Quarter:

3rd Quarter:

=Z=
    Fair enough, I guess I just don't understand why you chose some of those particular times to boo.
    4th and 2 at the Detroit 3?
    The two games we had won up to that point were won by three points each.
    A field goal can make a lot of difference, and 2 yards is a long way on 4th down.
    And 4th and 7 is damn near unmakable (or were you still booing from the previous play?).

The third and longs with a short check down pass I can't argue with.
    I wasn't fond of the calls either, but it wasn't enough to make me boo.
    I stayed optimistic.
    I haven't seen a lot of fumbles out of Taylor, so I can't bring myself to boo home for yesterday's either.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast