Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

Bombers sign RB Onterrio Smith

TSN.ca

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Ticker) - Running back Onterrio Smith is headed to the CFL.

A little more than two weeks after being released by the Minnesota Vikings, Smith signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Friday.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Smith made headlines in April 2005 when he was detained at an airport for being caught with a device that is designed to beat drug tests. Two months later, Smith was suspended for the entire 2005 season after violating the league's substance abuse policy.

The Vikings released Smith on April 26. He rushed for 544 yards in 2004.

"My skill is still there," Smith said. "It's just a case of coming up there and learning the system."

Smith was stopped at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport in April 2005 after his bag set off a screening device. A search found several vials of dried urine and "The Original Whizzinator," which is a $150 kit used to help individuals pass drug tests.

With two strikes against him under the league's substance abuse policy, Smith was banned for one year.

Expected to be either a first or second-round draft pick in 2003, Smith slipped into the fourth round because of character questions. He was kicked out of the University of Tennessee in 2000 due to off-the-field problems and finished his college career at Oregon.
    [hr]
    Onterrio heads north to join Blue
    WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers could have the best offensive backfield tandem in the CFL this season with the addition of former NFL running back Onterrio Smith, who signed with the football club today.

As per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. The addition of Smith and the presence of tailback Charles Roberts, the CFL’s leading rusher last season (1,624 yards on 290 carries), will provide the Blue & Gold with the best one-two offensive punch fans of the Blue Bombers have seen in some time.

“Onterrio Smith is an exciting, dynamic player who will add a lot to this team,” said Bombers G.M. Brendan Taman. “In addition to his outstanding skills as a running back, he is an outstanding kick returner and receiver.

“We believe his presence will provide Charles Roberts even more opportunities to show what he can do on offence.”

Smith (5-10, 215, Oregon ’02, DOB: Dec. 8, 1980 in Sacramento, Calif.) was a fourth round pick (105th overall) of the Minnesota Vikings in the 2003 NFL Draft.

The affable California product made quite a splash in his rookie season in ’03. He played in 15 games and rushed for 579 yards and five touchdowns on 107 carries. His 579 yards rushing were second only to Minnesota’s Moe Williams. He set a number of Vikings’ rookie rushing records that season including most rushing TDs in a game (three versus Kansas City Chiefs) and most rushing yards in a game (148 yards on 27 carries versus the Chicago Bears). He started the first game of his career versus the Atlanta Falcons (10/5) and rushed for 63 yards on 13 carries and added a pair of receptions for 23 yards. Pro Football Weekly named him to its All-Rookie Team.

In 2004, Smith played in 12 games for the Vikings, including six starts, and carried the ball 124 times for 544 yards and two touchdowns. He added another 394 yards and two TDs on 36 receptions. He had one of the best games of his pro career on Sept. 26 versus the Bears when he rushed the ball 17 times for 94 yards and added another 104 yards on six receptions.

Smith was an All-Pac 10 first-team all-star and team MVP as a senior at Oregon. In his two seasons at Oregon he rushed for 2,199 yards and 19 TDs on 419 carries, which ranked him seventh on the school’s all-time rushing list at the time of his graduation. He played at the University of Tennessee prior to transferring to Oregon. He was a teammate of Bombers’ quarterback Tee Martin and Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis while he was a member of the Tennessee Volunteers.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers officially open training camp May 21 at Canad Inns Stadium
    [hr]

the cfl's best backfield just got better

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Bombers sign RB Onterrio Smith

Good for Smith, he still gets to play football for a living, and now he can smoke all the weed he wants! :lol:

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

O Smith Heads North

From ESPN

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers could have the best offensive backfield tandem in the CFL this season with the addition of former NFL running back Onterrio Smith, who signed with the football club today.

As per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The addition of Smith and the presence of tailback Charles Roberts, the CFL’s leading rusher last season (1,624 yards on 290 carries), will provide the Blue & Gold with the best one-two offensive punch fans of the Blue Bombers have seen in some time.

“Onterrio Smith is an exciting, dynamic player who will add a lot to this team,” said Bombers G.M. Brendan Taman. “In addition to his outstanding skills as a running back, he is an outstanding kick returner and receiver.

“We believe his presence will provide Charles Roberts even more opportunities to show what he can do on offence.”

Smith said he is anxious to re-start his football career after being out of football last season.

“My skill is still there. It’s just a case of coming up there and learning the system,” Smith said.

“I’ve already been checking through the rule book and getting a feel for the (CFL) game. It’s brand new to me. But it’s football, so I’ll be able to adjust on the run.

“I’ve got no problem with whatever my role is. I’m not looking to come in and step on any toes. Hopefully everything will work out.”

Smith (5-10, 215, Oregon ’02, DOB: Dec. 8, 1980 in Sacramento, Calif.) was a fourth round pick (105th overall) of the Minnesota Vikings in the 2003 NFL Draft.

The affable California product made quite a splash in his rookie season in ’03. He played in 15 games and rushed for 579 yards and five touchdowns on 107 carries. His 579 yards rushing were second only to Minnesota’s Moe Williams. He set a number of Vikings’ rookie rushing records that season including most rushing TDs in a game (three versus Kansas City Chiefs) and most rushing yards in a game (148 yards on 27 carries versus the Chicago Bears). He started the first game of his career versus the Atlanta Falcons (10/5) and rushed for 63 yards on 13 carries and added a pair of receptions for 23 yards. Pro Football Weekly named him to its All-Rookie Team.

In 2004, Smith played in 12 games for the Vikings, including six starts, and carried the ball 124 times for 544 yards and two touchdowns. He added another 394 yards and two TDs on 36 receptions. He had one of the best games of his pro career on Sept. 26 versus the Bears when he rushed the ball 17 times for 94 yards and added another 104 yards on six receptions.

Smith was an All-Pac 10 first-team all-star and team MVP as a senior at Oregon. In his two seasons at Oregon he rushed for 2,199 yards and 19 TDs on 419 carries, which ranked him seventh on the school’s all-time rushing list at the time of his graduation. He played at the University of Tennessee prior to transferring to Oregon. He was a teammate of Bombers’ quarterback Tee Martin and Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis while he was a member of the Tennessee Volunteers.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers officially open training camp May 21 at Canad Inns Stadium.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: O Smith Heads North

Good for him, hope they keep in shape.

See if he stays clean........
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Coo coo coo coo coo....
    Take off to the great white north
    Its a beauty way to go

Its a beauty way to go
    Take off to the great white north...
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Blue Bombers suck :P

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

you're scared, i bet you just pissed your pants

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Yogi you just steer clear of SOD, don't want him corrupting you :lol:

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

What a talent.. I hope all goes well for him in Canada.. Look at the bright side of things,,, Weed is cheaper in Canada.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast