Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Bollinger set for QB battle

"V" wrote:
    Winning teams don't have QB controversy.
    as much as it pains me to say it....2006/2007 flordia gators.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Purple" wrote:
    If I were a betting man I would bet that Bollinger is starting Week 1.
    I don't agree with it and he's not going to lead us to the playoffs but TJax has far less experience.
    Early on I anticipate that Brad (the Red Hot) Childress Pepper will go with Bollinger thinking he gives us the best chance to win.

http://purplekool-aid.blogspot.com/
    I've been saying that all offseason.
    In the first third of the season, I truly believe that Bollinger will give us the best chance to win, and he stands a decent chance of starting.
    He will undoubtedly be surpassed and replaced by TJ, but for now TJ is still raw and learning.

And a lot of people are jumping on the "Bollinger sucks" wagon, but if you look back at the games and look at his stats, he was actually doing better than TJ.
    Bollinger is not a bad QB.
    He isn't starting material
    , but TJ may not be ready yet.
    If he isn't starting material, then why start him?

Everyone knows T-Jack is still raw, but if he's going to be our "starting" QB of the future &
    Childress thinks he can handle the pressure both physically & mentally, let the kid gain his experience on the field.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

I think it's kind of stupid to think theres no way he'll be our starter. I think he will. T-Jack is still "raw" whether you think he's the future or not. Bollinger was the 2nd string until he got injured. So thats in his favor and he did better in week 13 for the little he played (7-9, 70 yrds in the cold Soliders Feild).
    When Bollinger replaced Johnson in Week 13, he was 7-for-9 passing for 70 yards in a 23-13 loss to the Bears.
    That was better then Tarvaris Jacksons whole game in Green Bay(Who was 10-20, 50 yrds,1 fumble and an interception). Bollinger had no prepration, less time, less attempts but more yards, less interceptions, less fumbles, better passing perceptage and against a better defense.

Link lovers here you go. Jackson in Green Bay.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20061221_MIN@GB

So to say he won't be the starter is in my opinion having Tarvaris Jackson shades on. He's better stat-wise and there's a good chance he would have started those two games against Green Bay and St. Louis if he wasn't injured. Keep in mind he was the 2nd string not TJack until he got injured.
    I just say my prediction is that Bollinger will win the
    quarterback battle. I'm not saying he'll be better in the long run or that Bollinger will take us to a winning season. Im just saying right now he's the better quarterback.
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

IF he can beat out TJack for the starter's role, more power to him...and the Vikings.
    But don't count on it...TJack has more talent...and his learning curve has much more room for growth than Bollinger's does!
    He will have learned MUCH MORE than Bollinger has in the past year...and they were not too far apart last year.
    As for Bollinger being #2 last season, it just made sense...TJack could have never handled things as a ROOKIE if he had been thrown into the fray while the season was still on the line.
    But this year, he will go in as the favorite...and I think that he will acquit himself decently...and maybe even surprise us all.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Purple" wrote:
    If I were a betting man I would bet that Bollinger is starting Week 1.
    I don't agree with it and he's not going to lead us to the playoffs but TJax has far less experience.
    Early on I anticipate that Brad (the Red Hot) Childress Pepper will go with Bollinger thinking he gives us the best chance to win.

http://purplekool-aid.blogspot.com/
    I've been saying that all offseason.
    In the first third of the season, I truly believe that Bollinger will give us the best chance to win, and he stands a decent chance of starting.
    He will undoubtedly be surpassed and replaced by TJ, but for now TJ is still raw and learning.

And a lot of people are jumping on the "Bollinger sucks" wagon, but if you look back at the games and look at his stats, he was actually doing better than TJ.
    Bollinger is not a bad QB.
    He isn't starting material
    , but TJ may not be ready yet.
    If he isn't starting material, then why start him?

Everyone knows T-Jack is still raw, but if he's going to be our "starting" QB of the future &
    Childress thinks he can handle the pressure both physically & mentally, let the kid gain his experience on the field.
    I want Childress to start whomever gives us the best chance to have a winning season.
    I am just saying that it is very possible that it is BB for at least a portion of the season.
    If TJ is our starter come September 9th, then I am all for it.
    But I won't be shocked if he isn't...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

I am going to make a statement....Bollinger may not be a bad starting QB, he is just not a "franchise" QB.

Bollinger may start the season, may even start all season, but the face of the organization to this point has been made up to be TJ, so he will get every opportunity.

However, if he is not ready, we will go with Bollinger, and let TJ develop to become our "franchise" QB.

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    I am going to make a statement....Bollinger may not be a bad starting QB, he is just not a "franchise" QB.

Bollinger may start the season, may even start all season, but the face of the organization to this point has been made up to be TJ, so he will get every opportunity.

However, if he is not ready, we will go with Bollinger, and let TJ develop to become our "franchise" QB.

Well yeah thats the obvious statement. For someone(not you) to say not to start Bollinger because he isnt starter material is stupid because niether is Tarvaris Jackson. Childress isn't going to go by that. He'll go by who is better. Who can know who will be open before he's open (I don't think TJack wins that category but what rookie qb does). Who is more accurate. Who can read defenses better and who is just the best quarterback.

Neither of our quarterbacks are starter material which is why bringing Holcomb would be a good idea. Now is this rumor true? I dont think so but maybe. its possible.
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:
    I think it's kind of stupid to think theres no way he'll be our starter. I think he will. T-Jack is still "raw" whether you think he's the future or not. Bollinger was the 2nd string until he got injured. So thats in his favor and he did better in week 13 for the little he played (7-9, 70 yrds in the cold Soliders Feild).
    When Bollinger replaced Johnson in Week 13, he was 7-for-9 passing for 70 yards in a 23-13 loss to the Bears.
    That was better then Tarvaris Jacksons whole game in Green Bay(Who was 10-20, 50 yrds,1 fumble and an interception). Bollinger had no prepration, less time, less attempts but more yards, less interceptions, less fumbles, better passing perceptage and against a better defense.

So to say he won't be the starter is in my opinion having Tarvaris Jackson shades on. He's better stat-wise and there's a good chance he would have started those two games against Green Bay and St. Louis if he wasn't injured. Keep in mind he was the 2nd string not TJack until he got injured.
    quarterback battle. I'm not saying he'll be better in the long run or that Bollinger will take us to a winning season. Im just saying right now he's the better quarterback.
    Please don't use the GB game as a unit of analysis for T-Jack.
    Especially not as your only example, that's just ridiculous. Do you realize the circumstances of that game? Also of course Bollinger would have continued to start against GB and so on, he got injured.

Yes Bollinger was ahead on the depth chart last year, A little bit has changed since then, for example TJ has gotten his taste of the game which wasn't supposed to have happened.
    Chili has said himself that the position is up for grabs. When he makes the final decision I don't think its gonna be because of who performed better in '06.

Jackson has been seeing the most opportunity with the first teams at the camps, but he didn't sound too spectacular.
    I assume Chili wants to get him the best chance to learn and be assessed. I agree with you that Bollinger could start and think he is capable enough to lead this team.
    Like the coach said though, its anybody's spot to gain or loose and its gonna be that way through training camp.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

"Billy" wrote:

Especially not as your only example, that's just ridiculous. Do you realize the circumstances of that game? Also of course Bollinger would have continued to start against GB and so on, he got injured.
    First off why not. What is so unfair about it. I do not know the circumstances of that game. What ever they are they're the same as any other game. Besides it was cold. But it was cold in Chicago. T-Jack was preparing for that start all week any how.

Okay then T-Jack had half as many yards (35 yards) and less completion percentage (75%) against Chicago and a lost fumble. Same defense smae circumstance. Try to get me on that.
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Billy" wrote:

First off why not. What is so unfair about it. I do not know the circumstances of that game. What ever they are they're the same as any other game. Besides it was cold. But it was cold in Chicago. T-Jack was preparing for that start all week any how.

Okay then T-Jack had half as many yards (35 yards) and less completion percentage (75%) against Chicago and a lost fumble. Same defense smae circumstance. Try to get me on that.
    Let's make this simple:
    Last seasons stats:

Tarvaris:

Games:
    Started:
    Attempts:
    Completions:
    Percentage:
    58%
    Yards:
    Yards per Attempt:
    Touchdowns:
    Interceptions:
    Rating:

Brooks:

Games:
    Started:
    Attempts:
    Completions:
    Percentage:
    72.2%
    Yards:
    Yards per Attempt:
    Touchdowns:
    Interceptions:
    Rating:

Based upon those numbers, Brooks appears to be the better decision maker - his averages are higher than Tarvaris' (Completion %, YPA, and Rating) rather significantly.
    Couple that with the fact that Brooks came into both games COLD, NOT getting the reps with the 1st team, NOT having the majority of the coaches attention lavished on him, and he STILL managed to statistically out perform Jackson.
    BTW, Tarvaris also managed to make 4 fumbles (3 of which occured during starts, and only 1 of which was recovered by Jackson) to Bollingers zero.

So, based upon last seasons performance ONLY, Bollinger appears to be the better candidate.

Of course, all of that goes out the window if Tarvaris has improved dramatically.
    And that is something that none of us really knows about yet....we won't know until we see him play.
    Last season we placed all 3 QB's in an untenable position.
    They were all given a crappy receiving corps, weak play calling, and asked to succeed.
    Brady, Manning, or Brees would have stunk it up last season too - there's only so much one guy can do all by himself.

So, in addition to potential QB improvements, have we (the Vikings) addressed the glaring needs on Offense?
    Not really.
    Sure, we drafted a bunch of receivers, but no one knows how well they'll do.
    We dropped the only two guys who could catch (Robinson and Taylor).
    We added only 1 WR in free agency (There weren't too many available, but we only got 1 of the ones that were).
    We DID add a "potential" stud RB.
    We didn't significantly improve the right side of the O-Line.
    And, most importantly, We still don't have a REAL OC to handle things like....oh, I don't know....play calling (Darrell Bevell simply keeps Childress' seat warm and fetches coffee).

So, is the question of which QB will start REALLY that important when looked at versus the backdrop of all of the other offensive issues?
    Probably not.
    I am most interested in which receiver will step up and earn his money this season because without that, who cares who's throwing the ball.

Caine

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast