Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Bollinger set for QB battle

[size=13pt]NFL: Bollinger set for QB battle[/size]

By Tom Miller, Herald Staff Writer
    grandforksherald.com

Published Wednesday, July 11, 2007

As the NFL draft began in New York in late April, phone calls and text messages flooded Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brooks Bollinger's cell phone....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Bollinger set for QB battle

“It's more exciting to know that the opportunity (to start) is out there,” said Bollinger, who is at Memorial Stadium this week for the Bollinger Quarterback and Receiver Camp. “But every training camp I get to go to is exciting. The NFL is the best job in the world. I just have to go out, trust my ability and execute.”
    Execute being the optimum word there.

He wasn't executing well in the Bears game last year.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    “It's more exciting to know that the opportunity (to start) is out there,” said Bollinger, who is at Memorial Stadium this week for the Bollinger Quarterback and Receiver Camp. “But every training camp I get to go to is exciting. The NFL is the best job in the world. I just have to go out, trust my ability and execute.”
    Execute being the optimum word there.

He wasn't executing well in the Bears game last year.
    execute . . . get executed . . . same difference!
    ;D

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I pray to GOD that Bollinger is NOT our starter this year, that guy is worthless!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

To say he is worthless is a bit of a stretch.
    He is in the NFL, which is more than I can say for at least myself.

Anyway, he played well at Wisconsin, and he has shown flashes here and there in the NFL.

Not saying he is starter material, or anything like that, but worthless may not be the best word to use.

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I pray to GOD that Bollinger is NOT our starter this year, that guy is worthless!
    I have been saying that all along...

He's not back for a 3rd stringer though.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I wouldn't say Bollinger is "worthless"....I'd say that he was unspectacular in his appearances to date.
    Keep in mind that he started 9 games for the Jets after Pennington went down in '05...and he did average with a team that was pretty horrible.
    Most of his games were in the 100 yards passing area - not something that sparks confidence, but he was playing for the '05 Jets.

When he played against the Bears in '06, we were already pretty much out of that game.
    But, after being sacked twice in a row, he went on to complete 7 of 9 for 77.8 yards...which is pretty amazing when you consider how pathetic our receivers were (are?).

Personally, I'm not real confident in either Bollinger or Jackson.
    I would have much rather seen Davis Carr brought in - a proven starter who overcame a horrendous O-Line and a no-talent team to pull some amazing games out of the fire.
    But, Chilly & Company seem to think that their 2nd-round-stretch project QB will be the answer.

Now, aside from Rice....who's going to catch the ball?

Caine

"Caine" wrote:
    I wouldn't say Bollinger is "worthless"....I'd say that he was unspectacular in his appearances to date.
    Keep in mind that he started 9 games for the Jets after Pennington went down in '05...and he did average with a team that was pretty horrible.
    Most of his games were in the 100 yards passing area - not something that sparks confidence, but he was playing for the '05 Jets.

When he played against the Bears in '06, we were already pretty much out of that game.
    But, after being sacked twice in a row, he went on to complete 7 of 9 for 77.8 yards...which is pretty amazing when you consider how pathetic our receivers were (are?).

Personally, I'm not real confident in either Bollinger or Jackson.
    I would have much rather seen Davis Carr brought in - a proven starter who overcame a horrendous O-Line and a no-talent team to pull some amazing games out of the fire.
    But, Chilly & Company seem to think that their 2nd-round-stretch project QB will be the answer.

Now, aside from Rice....who's going to catch the ball?

Caine
    Childress didn't like Carr's throwing style. Here's a quote from Childress regarding Carr that I posted in an ealier thread;

“I always struggled with where his release came from,” Childress said. “It’s kind of a drop-down, three-quarter, not overhand, over-the-top release. Just in the tape I’ve watched in the four years he’s been in the league, he can make some of the throws, he can’t make all the throws. He gets some balls batted at the line of scrimmage just because of where that ball comes from. A little more difficult to throw in the seam throws because it doesn’t come from over the top. He can’t get a ball to get out of his hand, get up and get down. He’s a smart guy, he’s a decent athlete but when you’re buying a quarterback at this level and you kick the tires, there shouldn’t be a lot of things that you’re trying to straighten out. You pick a Carr, you pick a quarterback because you like all the things about him. When you’re picking him that high, you don’t want to feel like there are any perceived flaws.”

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=88888914&topic=315 32.180

The veteran QB pool was pretty slim this year with Schaub drawing a big price tag & Green set on going to Miami.

Last year was the year to do it & they should have.

Purple Kool Aid is offline Training Camp

If I were a betting man I would bet that Bollinger is starting Week 1.
    I don't agree with it and he's not going to lead us to the playoffs but TJax has far less experience.
    Early on I anticipate that Brad (the Red Hot) Childress Pepper will go with Bollinger thinking he gives us the best chance to win.

http://purplekool-aid.blogspot.com/

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Purple" wrote:
    If I were a betting man I would bet that Bollinger is starting Week 1.
    I don't agree with it and he's not going to lead us to the playoffs but TJax has far less experience.
    Early on I anticipate that Brad (the Red Hot) Childress Pepper will go with Bollinger thinking he gives us the best chance to win.

I've been saying that all offseason.
    In the first third of the season, I truly believe that Bollinger will give us the best chance to win, and he stands a decent chance of starting.
    He will undoubtedly be surpassed and replaced by TJ, but for now TJ is still raw and learning.

And a lot of people are jumping on the "Bollinger sucks" wagon, but if you look back at the games and look at his stats, he was actually doing better than TJ.
    Bollinger is not a bad QB.
    He isn't starting material, but TJ may not be ready yet.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast