Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Bollinger’s struggles as backup QB could bring changes behind Jackson

[size=13pt]Bollinger’s struggles as backup QB could bring changes behind Jackson[/size]

Published - Monday, August 27, 2007

By Judd Zulgad | Star Tribune (Minneapolis)

The Minnesota Vikings emerged from their 30-13 preseason loss Saturday at Seattle with the feeling Tarvaris Jackson had taken a small step in what is best-case scenario going to be a gradual development at the quarterback position. But if Jackson inched forward, backup Brooks Bollinger appeared headed in the opposite direction....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Bollinger’s struggles as backup QB could bring changes behind Jackson

We really can't go into the season without a solid backup to Tarvaris. Hopefully we get Holcomb, or someone who's familiar with the WCO.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Last year we started with Johnson and TJ developed into his backup and replacement. This year,with TJ as the starter we should be able to bring Thigpen along enough to fill in if TJ goes down. We are rebuilding anyway so I would rather go with what we have than bring in some washed up QB who couldn't cut the mustard somewhere else because they more than likely wouldn't do any better here.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

As long as we don't have to use a pick to get someone in I am all for shit canning BB.

Holcomb appears to be the logical choice, however, Atlanta is out there in the wings as the wildcard for how much he will cost.

I did a bit of research to see who else might be the "Other Teams" that the press seems to keep saying are also interested......

Dallas (Maybe not as pressing a need but you never know)
    T. Romo
    B. Johnson

Bronco's (You could almost make the same argument here as TJ/BB.
    How comfortable would you be with Ramsey)
    J. Cutler
    P. Ramsey
    P. Parsons

Falcons
    J. Harrington
    C. Redman
    C. Bramlet

Texans (Yep, Even put the Texans in here.
    Schaub has not looked good.)
    M. Schaub
    S. Rosenfels
    B. Van Pelt
    Q. Porter

Anyway, here's to happy health and the ability to stay in for 16 games directed in TJ's way regardless of who his backup is.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Capital_J is offline Rookie

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Last year we started with Johnson and TJ developed into his backup and replacement. This year,with TJ as the starter we should be able to bring Thigpen along enough to fill in if TJ goes down. We are rebuilding anyway so I would rather go with what we have than bring in some washed up QB who couldn't cut the mustard somewhere else because they more than likely wouldn't do any better here.
    I don't agree with this. Our defense is playoff caliber. If Jackson struggles immensely or gets injured, you really don't want a 7th round rookie running the ship. Every team needs a capable back-up and we haven't had one under Childress. Last year, Bollinger was the back-up, not Jackson. Jackson only filled in because Bollinger got hurt and then Jackson started because the season was gone anyways and he was the future. This team needs a veteran QB, not named Bollinger or McMahon.
    www.capitaljscorner.com

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

[size=14pt]Eagles Notes - Trade of Holcomb appears likely[/size]
    Barring injury to one of the Eagles' other three quarterbacks, Kelly Holcomb is probably spending his final days in Philadelphia.

According to a league source, as many as four teams have contacted the Eagles about acquiring Holcomb, and the team intends to move him this week as long as Donovan McNabb, A.J. Feeley and rookie Kevin Kolb got through last night's preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers healthy.

Two of the teams involved in talks with the Eagles are the Minnesota Vikings and Atlanta Falcons. The Eagles are hoping to get at least a sixth-round pick in return for Holcomb, but they may have to settle for a seventh-round selection...
    http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20070827_Eagles_Notes____Trade_of_Holcomb_appears_ likely.html
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Just what am I missing here?
    We have been talking for months about the fact that the Vikes have a chance to be in the hunt for the Playoffs with "solid QB play."
    Are you seriously telling me that Thigpen, now, is a better backup option than a proven backup?
    For that matter, is your premise that Thigpen is a better option than Bollinger?
    Face it, we have a young starting QB with alot of promise.
    If he goes down, it is neither responsible (to the players who have busted their asses, nor to us fans) nor prudent to put in a 7th Round draft pick rookie from COASTAL CAROLINA...now, the kid appears to have some skills, but you HAVE GOT to be kidding me.

The Vikings, Childress, believed Bollinger was our contingency plan...if you have any doubts, just look at who we traded to get him and, oh, by the way, now, DT depth is another issue due to that trade.
    Like I posted yesterday, Bollinger is not, nor is Thigpen (for now) a viable option for our Team.
    This is not the Cleveland Browns franchise, we deserve a better product.

I hope to the football gods that TJack doesn't get hurt early.
    If he does, we will be in the lottery for the best player next year, Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville.
    Then what?

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"MaxVike" wrote:
    We have been talking for months about the fact that the Vikes have a chance to be in the hunt for the Playoffs with "solid QB play."
    Are you seriously telling me that Thigpen, now, is a better backup option than a proven backup?
    For that matter, is your premise that Thigpen is a better option than Bollinger?
    If he goes down, it is neither responsible (to the players who have busted their dimply buttocks, nor to us fans) nor prudent to put in a 7th Round draft pick rookie from COASTAL CAROLINA...now, the kid appears to have some skills, but you HAVE GOT to be kidding me.

The Vikings, Childress, believed Bollinger was our contingency plan...if you have any doubts, just look at who we traded to get him and, oh, by the way, now, DT depth is another issue due to that trade.
    Like I posted yesterday, Bollinger is not, nor is Thigpen (for now) a viable option for our Team.

If he does, we will be in the lottery for the best player next year, Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville.
    Then what?
    Thats in another thread.
    In this thread, most of us, are talking about who is in the running for Holcomb and what it might cost to get him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    If he goes down, it is neither responsible (to the players who have busted their dimply buttocks, nor to us fans) nor prudent to put in a 7th Round draft pick rookie from COASTAL CAROLINA...now, the kid appears to have some skills, but you HAVE GOT to be kidding me.

Then what?
    Thats in another thread.
    In this thread, most of us, are talking about who is in the running for Holcomb and what it might cost to get him.
    hmmm, well, actually, it's inbedded in several threads.
    I was merely responding to the absurdity of actually thinking Thigpen is an option, per some comments in this thread.

With that in mind, let me add, it is obvious that three or four teams are in need.
    We need to be the high bidder.
    We have enough money and the most pressing need IMO per my comments.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Texans (Yep, Even put the Texans in here.
    Schaub has not looked good.)
    M. Schaub
    S. Rosenfels
    B. Van Pelt
    Q. Porter

Anyway, here's to happy health and the ability to stay in for 16 games directed in TJ's way regardless of who his backup is.

;D
    Your a crackhead.
    How could such a proven veteran QB such as Schaub not succeed when Houston went out and improved their already amazing O-line with some talented rookies and FAs?
    I guess his guy, Andre Johnson is pretty bad though. ;D

Anywho, what is Holcomb the answer too?
    Or Warner even for that matter. It would be a ill move to give up a piece of the future for something that would have no benefit for this team when it comes to the big picture.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast