Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 45 of 45
  1. #41
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re:Bob Sansevere: Ryan Longwell talks field goals

    midgensa wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    midgensa wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Drew Brees sucks, I can pull up articles about how he might be getting cut.
    Yeah ... they drafted Philip Rivers to replace him. So he must still suck.

    Also ... in his rookie year Peyton Manning led the league in picks didn't he? Once I saw him getting ready to make a throw and they panned to Carter watching on the big screen at the Vikes game and he said "He can't make that throw." So, he sucks to.
    Is that you calling me out again? LOL
    I will correct any and everyone when they state something that is easily DISPROVEN by using Google for two minutes while sitting at work.

    It is not me trying to "call people out" on the Internet. It is me simply showing the facts and hoping that a person can says ... ooops ... fucked that one up.

    You never have, nor never will do that, so it means we just get to go round and round.

    By the way ... that last post was in response to IBP ... had nothing to do with you.

    That will do it for me here.

    You get the last word, as I know you are going to take it anyways.
    Nope, I think it is because you think I made up the name Shortwell when in fact, he was called that by PUKER fans for years.

    And yes ... I am hell bent on arguing because it is fucking ridiculous that you think of a "clever" little nickname for the guy and decide that he can do NOTHING to change your mind about him no matter what.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re:Bob Sansevere: Ryan Longwell talks field goals

    I was looking at the article that Marrdro cited and then checking Longwell's year-to-year splits because of Midgensa's reference to his 4-5 year from 50+ in 2005. I figured out that the author of the article messed up just a little bit, as the 14 of 28 stat is for 1997-2007, including his 1 for 6 start with the Vikes.

    His last 3 years with the Pack he was actually a healthy 7 of 9 from 50+, while his first six years would have to be considered disappointing at 6 of 13.

    Anyway, the up and down nature of his kicking reminded me of this tidbit from the Pro Football Prospectus (appears in 2008 and some other years):
    Field-goal percentage is almost entirely random from season to season...Measuring every kicker who had at least 10 field-goal attempts in each of two consecutive years from 1999 to 2006, the year-to-year correlation coefficient for field goal percentage was an insignificant 0.05.
    I think the guy is doing a fine job, and I hope he keeps it up as long as he is kicking for the purple. But it's a tough gig where fortunes can change in a hurry.

    Oh, and on the pitch count thing... this is once again simply a practice issue that is common across the NFL. It is not a sign that a player has a weak leg (or arm), rather it recognizes that at this point in the season players sometimes need rest and a healthy body (leg or arm) more than reps. It has no effect on play calling, or a decision to punt or go for a field goal.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  3. #43
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re:Bob Sansevere: Ryan Longwell talks field goals

    Overlord wrote:
    I was looking at the article that Marrdro cited and then checking Longwell's year-to-year splits because of Midgensa's reference to his 4-5 year from 50+ in 2005. I figured out that the author of the article messed up just a little bit, as the 14 of 28 stat is for 1997-2007, including his 1 for 6 start with the Vikes.

    His last 3 years with the Pack he was actually a healthy 7 of 9 from 50+, while his first six years would have to be considered disappointing at 6 of 13.

    Anyway, the up and down nature of his kicking reminded me of this tidbit from the Pro Football Prospectus (appears in 2008 and some other years):
    Field-goal percentage is almost entirely random from season to season...Measuring every kicker who had at least 10 field-goal attempts in each of two consecutive years from 1999 to 2006, the year-to-year correlation coefficient for field goal percentage was an insignificant 0.05.
    I think the guy is doing a fine job, and I hope he keeps it up as long as he is kicking for the purple. But it's a tough gig where fortunes can change in a hurry.

    Oh, and on the pitch count thing... this is once again simply a practice issue that is common across the NFL. It is not a sign that a player has a weak leg (or arm), rather it recognizes that at this point in the season players sometimes need rest and a healthy body (leg or arm) more than reps. It has no effect on play calling, or a decision to punt or go for a field goal.
    As always, good stuff my friend.

    But it's a tough gig where fortunes can change in a hurry.
    Couldn't fortunes change if, for some reason, they were limited in practice, say for to keep reps down?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re:Bob Sansevere: Ryan Longwell talks field goals

    Marrdro wrote:
    Overlord wrote:
    But it's a tough gig where fortunes can change in a hurry.
    Couldn't fortunes change if, for some reason, they were limited in practice, say for to keep reps down?
    No.

    ...

    Look, on the pitch count thing again, it's a reality of the NFL late in the season. It's not just these guys.

    Here's an analogy: imagine you're watching someone drive a car on the left side of the road. You might immediately think "what a terrible driver." But if the guy is in England, that's what he is supposed to do... that's what everybody does.

    Longwell is not the only kicker that is on a count during practice, and Favre is not the only QB that is on a count. Every team in the NFL pays attention to this stuff and tones it down late in the season, to one degree or another.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

  5. #45
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re:Bob Sansevere: Ryan Longwell talks field goals

    Overlord wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Overlord wrote:
    But it's a tough gig where fortunes can change in a hurry.
    Couldn't fortunes change if, for some reason, they were limited in practice, say for to keep reps down?
    No.

    ...

    Look, on the pitch count thing again, it's a reality of the NFL late in the season. It's not just these guys.

    Here's an analogy: imagine you're watching someone drive a car on the left side of the road. You might immediately think "what a terrible driver." But if the guy is in England, that's what he is supposed to do... that's what everybody does.

    Longwell is not the only kicker that is on a count during practice, and Favre is not the only QB that is on a count. Every team in the NFL pays attention to this stuff and tones it down late in the season, to one degree or another.
    Not trying to say you are wrong here, however, I have never heard of a QB or a Kicker being put on "Pitch Counts".

    I'm gonna do some searching/research on this.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. Bob Sansevere: Vikings OL Ryan Cook
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM
  2. Blocking field goals
    By vikesfargo in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 07:14 AM
  3. Sid Hartman talks to Ryan Longwell - VIDEO
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 05:07 AM
  4. Sid Hartman talks to Ryan Longwell - VIDEO
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 06:02 AM
  5. Longest Field Goals
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2006, 07:39 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •